First scroll saw

Pdhbaseball23

Hi,

I just joined your forum. I am new to wood working and starting to collect some powered tools. Next on my list is a scroll saw. I thought I might ask for some insight. Would you recommend a 16" or a 20", any particular brand? I have read some good reviews on the dewalt 788.

I have been searching craiglist for the past few weeks just to get an idea of what is out there. This post came up today regarding a rbi hawk 216vs (s/n: 4022). The seller is asking $225 and claims it is in excellent shape. It is this anything worth looking into for my first saw or should I look for other options. If this is worth while, what is a good price point?

Welcome to the village David.!.....Glad to have you aboard....If you have not already done so , Look at the Scroll Saw Review section of the forum,  it list most every saw out there and tells you just about anything you need to know.....A lot of folks here use the DW788 and or the EX21 among others......Good luck with the saw purchase.

David welcome to the Village!  There are two questions that you need to answer about your potential saw.

One - Will the saw be new or used?  

Two - Are you mechanically able to support a used saw?

Three - How much money are you willing to spend on the saw?

There are about 3 major price ranges for scroll saws $99 - $225, $300 - $600, $1000+

A very large group here use the DW788 Dewalt,  I have one and it has given me good service.  Personally that is what I would choose, you can always upgrade to an Excalibur saw at a later time.  Which ever saw you decide to get we have a great group of folks here willing to answer your questions.  Again welcome to the Village.

DW

Welcome you can buy a cheap saw from Harbor freight to see if you even like scroll sawing then if you do like it you can spend the money on a good saw and get down and dusty LOL.. the my first saw was a delta and up graded to a Excalibur 21 and love it. It was hard dropping the money for it at first but I am glad I did. The Dewalt you will love. The Dewalt is higher RPM I think but Excalibur arm moves instead of the table Wichita is my biggest reason I bought the Excalibur. Ask a bunch of questions and do your research. A lot of YouTube video out there to watch. Good luck.

Glad to have you join.  IF you are considering a new 788, do your homework first.  The mechanism of these 2 saws indicate that they came off the same assembly line.  Only the outward appearance is different.  Compare the prices.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_366919-70-DW788___

http://www.lowes.com/pd_594182-34340-40-694_0__?productId=50160831&Ntt=

jerry

Play with a $20 to $30 dollar machine from crags list with pinned blades,get used to the putting the blade on an off,reaching way back every time to adjust the blade ,drilling holes to thread the blade thru in the wood,adjusting the air dust blower on the blade,shining a light on your work to not create shadows on your cut lines.then when you up grade you will really appreciate good saw when you get one.

I say get a decent saw to begin with like a DeWalt at least.  If you get a junk one it may discourage you.  I started years and years ago with a horrible model Craftsman (not all Craftsman saw are horrible).  It was so bad I rarely used it.  A few years ago I purchased a DeWalt and what a difference.  I discovered I loves using a scroll saw.  So much so I later upgraded to a Excalibur.  Scrolling is my main woodworking now.  Had I started with a better saw it would have been one of my favorite hobbies years ago.

Edited by Scrappile

I agree with Scrappile. The first one I bought was a cheap small Craftsman scrollsaw because I wanted to see if I liked scrolling or not. I just couldn't do nice work and started getting discouraged thinking I wasn't any good at it. Then I bought the Dewalt and I was so surprised at the difference it made. The same thing happened when I started wood turning. I bought cheap tools and struggled. When I bought quality tools, it was like cutting butter. Now I always buy decent tools and equipment right off the bat. Well worth it. And, quality tools are probably easier to sell then cheap ones - I think??

Well I started with a dremel using pin end blades 2 speed. It go me started but then went to Dewalt which I used 14 years before it just plan quit. then wanted a ex-21 but at the time had things to finish for Christmas and not enough money for that and Rockler had a sale for 300 dollars. Later I did get the money together and have a Ex-21 and a Dewalt. I use them both switching out each week. I tend to prefer the Ex- 21 a little more, I am happy with both. As far as a RBI Hawk I have never used one. I have an acquaintance I have known over 20 years and he has had one the entire time I have known him and has been extremely happy with it and produces some very beautiful work. He does not make for shows or sales. he makes and gives away. I guess it all comes down to is getting the best you can used or new with what you can afford. Good luck and welcome to the addiction 

I started with a cheap cheap sears ( not Craftsman) Ii Worked with it for about 3 years and then went and bought a good 21 in craft man. It was a good saw I used-it for about 15 years and wore out, so I bought a De Walt and it is the best I ever had Paid abut $500, I just bought the second saw it is also a DEwalt 788  I love both. when you buy learn what blades to use and where that will make a big difference of how you feel about your purchases.LOL  IKE

I started with a Dremel scroll saw and quickly out grew it.I moved up to a Dewalt and have never looked back.  Get the most saw you can afford.  Variable speed, designed for pinless blades, and quick blade changes (no tools required) are a must.  Also get the biggest saw you can afford.  You can cut small projects on a big saw but it is hard (not impossible) to cut large  projects on a small saw.

WOW!  Learned a LOT about everyone with this Post.  My venture was low priced Lowes which worked good for my learning. 

Worked into a BETTER saw.  Much improvements.  Then Lil Bro gave me his HEGNER.  Like day and night the GREATNESS

of this Scroll Saw.  Yes that was many years ago.  Still humming and making lots OF SAWDUST. 

To reply to your post....  Depends on your income and also your wants for scrolling.              Just my 13 cents...............Danny  :+}

I beg to differ with almost of all your comments. On this site, go to "BRAGGING RIGHTS."

Scroll to "Some of my "stuff." Posted July 27, 2015, by jerry1939 (Me)

Please. PLEASE do not fill this guy with a bunch of baloney. It' NOT THE TOOL, IT'S THE OPERATOR!!!!!!!!!!

You owe it to this gentleman not to try to fill him with nonsense.

jerry

David, I'd suggest that you buy as good a saw as you can afford, you will be farther ahead by doing so. The cheaper saws work, but, they don't work as well as a better quality saw, and they don't last nearly as long. You will get better results with a quality saw. I've used numerous low quality saws, and they were more almost stressful to use. It was hard to keep the blade taught, and the vibrations of these cheaper saws is unreal at times. This is no baloney, this statement is based on my own personal experience with numerous different saws. Low priced ones, and a couple of the top of the line saws. I now own an EX21, and I love using it, but, it may not be the saw for everyone, and personally, I think a new scroller should learn how to cut with a lower quality saw. If for no other reason than, to get the experience of doing so.

Len

As many have said the better and yes more expensive saws are the best way to go but a point very often missed that i must point out is the blades you use. I have 3 saws , a Skil 16", Hitatchi 16", and a DW-788, all cut well but my fav. is the 788 because of the 21" table but the blade does the cutting -we all know that. If you use junk blades you will not be happy and won't enjoy scrollin. I use FDUR's for everything !!!!!! No spirals, No skip and no reverse skip blades. All saws move the blades up and down but the features of the saws makes one better than the other. My first saw was the Skil from Lowes at just over $100 and i'm still using it after 8 years.Get one that takes straight blades . Just my opinion and i'm stickin to it.

sully

Sully makes a good point.  Even the best saw won't cut for crap with junk blades. There are several quality blades like Flying Dutchman, Olsen, Pegasus....... They all have their pluses and minuses and they all have their followers.  DO NOT buy Sears brand or Vermont brand or other store brand blades. 

Welcome you can buy a cheap saw from Harbor freight to see if you even like scroll sawing then if you do like it you can spend the money on a good saw and get down and dusty LOL.. the my first saw was a delta and up graded to a Excalibur 21 and love it. It was hard dropping the money for it at first but I am glad I did. The Dewalt you will love. The Dewalt is higher RPM I think but Excalibur arm moves instead of the table Wichita is my biggest reason I bought the Excalibur. Ask a bunch of questions and do your research. A lot of YouTube video out there to watch. Good luck.

IF you decide to buy an inexpensive saw to see if you like scrolling I'd suggest not buying a Harbor Freight.  In this case, I'd suggest you look at Ryobi or Craftsman rather than Harbor Freight  I know - sounds like I'm knocking Harbor Freight but I have a Harbor Freight lathe that works very well for me.  My issue with the Harbor Freight Scroll Saw is that it takes an adapter to use pinless blades and that makes blade changing awkward and that would sour anybody against scrolling - unless you only want to use pinned blades which severely limits blade selection.  The Ryobi takes pinless blades without any adapter so that is more convenient.  I have a Ryobi and it works pretty well for me.  I've read some good things about the Craftsman so that's another inexpensive one to consider.  Not against Harbor Freight tools in the whole but just the scroll saw because  of the blade issue.  BTW - there is an aftermarket "fix" for the Harbor Freight as far as pinless blades but that costs you I think about $40.00 for the kit so it's about as cheap to get a Crafstman or Ryobi.  Just my "two cents worth". :idea:   Welcome to the Village! :thumbs:

Edited by oneleggimp

Mr. Scrappile,

For many years, I only owned a Performax saw.  Bought it new from Menards for $69 and change.  (It seems that they are no longer available, but a Skil is identical except for color, decal & price.)

About a month ago it finally died, after serving me well.

Click my posting of July 27, 2015 and also read the Comments.  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/15988-first-scroll-saw/

I am reminded of the old story of the guy that decided to become a carpenter.  He was told, "You can buy as fancy a set of tools as you want to.  You can even have the handles gold plated, but none of that will make you a GOOD carpenter."

jerry

Mr. Scrappile,

For many years, I only owned a Performax saw.  Bought it new from Menards for $69 and change.  (It seems that they are no longer available, but a Skil is identical except for color, decal & price.)

About a month ago it finally died, after serving me well.

Click my posting of July 27, 2015 and also read the Comments.  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/15988-first-scroll-saw/

I am reminded of the old story of the guy that decided to become a carpenter.  He was told, "You can buy as fancy a set of tools as you want to.  You can even have the handles gold plated, but none of that will make you a GOOD carpenter."

jerry

Jerry I tend to agree that we sometimes try to substitute better tools for lack of experience and skills. The only way to improve on skills is to practice and get experience. I can bend a nail just as well with a 3 dollar harbor freight hammer as I can with a 40 dollar eastwing. I can overhaul an engine as well with my Stanley sockets and ratchets as I can with snap on tools. I agree that they wont last as long with constant daily use but they serve my needs just fine.  Sometimes I think we are better off to start out with cheap tools and have some problems. Solving problems is the way that we learn. My first and only scroll saw is a Delta 40-540 and I have made some very nice projects with it. I agree that the blade changes and tensioning are a pain on some saws but they all do the same thing move a  blade up and down.

He could buy a hand fretsaw for $15, and folks did very good work with those for years, that doesn't mean I would recommend it.  My first saw was a Hitachi CW40.  Good saw, but changing blades on that type of saw is painful, and I regretted not spending that money on the better saws.  Sure that saw could do quality work, with much less effort that with the hand frames, but after the fact, I was not happy with it.  I would have been better off if someone would have talked me into spending more money and jumping on up to something I would be happy with.

Now, if I were to have started on a DW788, and hated scrolling, then I would have regretted not trying the hobby out on one of those disposable saws.  I will say that if I would have started with HF, I probably would have abandoned the hobby before I ever got started.

---------Randy