First time scroll saw projects

dvickers

Posting my first ever scroll saw projects. Got into this to see if I could make a few Christmas decorations then found scrollsaw workshop.blogspot.com and found a scroll saw pattern tutorial for Inkscape by Travis on this website. Yes I'm hooked! Just started this hobby at the end of November when I picked up a scroll saw and a local big box store. Quickly learned about the different blades on YouTube and ordered a couple of variety packs of Flying Dutchmen. The blades that came with the Ryobi were really worthless. But with the proper blades I guess the little Ryobi 16" did a pretty decent job after I learned how to drive it. I'm very surprised how fast time flys by when scrolling. I already have some ideas of what I will be looking for from my next saw.

I found one of the frame patterns from scrollsaw workshop.blogspot but it was really advance for me so I only made one and messed it up pretty good then found an easier frame to cut. The key chain patterns came from Steve Goods site scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com as well with a Windows application that he offers for a donation. It's simple and easy to use.

Merry Christmas

David

post-28827-0-77022200-1451102686_thumb.jpeg

post-28827-0-61907000-1451102852_thumb.jpeg

post-28827-0-91859400-1451102923_thumb.jpeg

post-28827-0-52859100-1451104755_thumb.jpeg

post-28827-0-06114500-1451105754_thumb.jpeg

Posting my first ever scroll saw projects. Got into this to see if I could make a few Christmas decorations then found scrollsaw workshop.blogspot.com and found a scroll saw pattern tutorial for Inkscape by Travis on this website. Yes I'm hooked! Just started this hobby at the end of November when I picked up a scroll saw and a local big box store. Quickly learned about the different blades on YouTube and ordered a couple of variety packs of Flying Dutchmen. The blades that came with the Ryobi were really worthless. But with the proper blades I guess the little Ryobi 16" did a pretty decent job after I learned how to drive it. I'm very surprised how fast time flys by when scrolling. I already have some ideas of what I will be looking for from my next saw.

I found one of the frame patterns from scrollsaw workshop.blogspot but it was really advance for me so I only made one and messed it up pretty good then found an easier frame to cut. The key chain patterns came from Steve Goods site scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com as well with a Windows application that he offers for a donation. It's simple and easy to use.

Merry Christmas

David

Welcome David ,Make yourself at home,Your family now! Pull up a chair,pour some coffee and make lots of friends here daily.Plenty of action packed fun and games here with a learning curve at your leisure that's hard  to beat with our help.Problems with blades breaking ,can't cut a straight line,hard  to follow  the lines ,We can save you hours of frustration with many correct answers for you to chose from.You'll really like getting a foot pedal on off switch for your saw to keep you happily scrolling with less wasted time making unnecessary repetitive moves.And for your ever increasingly quest for knowledge you can go back in time in each and every forums by clicking on the page numbers at the bottom of each page all the way back to 2009 if you like with Tips and tricks just to help you all we can to be the best you can be in the shortest time frame.You might want to think about getting a back up saw as down time is not happy time once you get going making projects  after the scroll saw bug bites you.I've made thousands and thousands of projects and wore out over a dozen scroll saws.And not being able to scroll is like fish out of water.I'm content as a bird with a french fry scrolling.I'm a little nervous at how well you acclimated yourself to scrolling already .Your lettering skills are second to none and it looks like i'll be playing second fiddle in no time with your lettering skills .Thanks for joining my new friend and Merry Christmas to you and yours! :santa::thumbs::santa::thumbs::santa:  :thumbs::santa: 

You -Just joined our "asylum/haven"--  WELCOME  TO THE INSANITY--Best advice I can give is-- do the things you want to--Please the person in the mirror-- and after 60+ years of running one I eventually may learn how!

Oh and make the "nest" comfortable for you!  Chair-light- noise maker- wind machine(REVERSE) and all the other comforts!

Well done David they look good, a bit more sanding next time before painting get the little furry bits out otherwise great start.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :santa: Roly

Yes looking back at these I would agree...  I don't have a variety of sanders but have a hand held band sander that I used to get the flat sides.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get in between the cuts.  Is the best low budget way to get started is to just cut a strip of sand paper and carefully slide in between each cut?  I'm all open for suggestions on sanding.  I also would like to add sander  equipment as the budget will allow but not sure what to look for exactly.  Any help would be appreciated.