18" Hegner

RFK48

I have the opportunity to buy an 18" Hegner Scrollsaw for $175, I don't really need it since I have an Ex21 that I have hardly used yet but I am wanting to buy it just because I can never pass up a good deal. I guess I just want some opinions on what to do and is it as good a saw as I've heard?

Thanks for any input. 

Robert

I purchased a 22VS Hegner about a year ago.  I have a EX 21 also, not sure why I purchased the Hegner, just got it in my head I wanted one and well, there you go.  I love the EX great saw especially for the type of fret work I enjoy doing.  Enter the Hegner.  Well built, smooth running, but I could not get it to work with the small 3/0 and 2/0 or even the 1 size blades.  I worked at it but I got very frustrated.  It sat for months, I just didn't want to deal with it.  Then a couple month ago my EX developed a vibration that I have yet to be able to get rid of.  It is to the point that I don't enjoy using it.  So I sat in front of the Hegner, decided to give it a try again.  Not sure how or why but I got it working with the small blades.  I think it was a matter of getting the right tension on the blades dialed in.  Now I am loving the Hegner and the EX is gathering dust (the dust is coming fron the Hergner sitting next to it).  I don't think there is a sturdier built scroll saw than the Hegner.  There are things you have to get use to, blade changing is not as easy as on the EX, but I am use to it now and don't mind, the upper arm does not lift as high as the EX so it is harder to go from one hole to the next, but I am use to that now.  You can not top feed with the Hegner, but I never could top feed with any saw I have owned.  I think my Hegner will be around long after the EX is warn out. It something does go wrong on the Hegner I feel confident I can fix it.  Very easy to work on.  

So there is my experience with the Hegner.  I am very happy with it, don't even mind the smaller table it has.  I want to get my EX fixed, because it is a great saw also, but I can't seem to quit scrolling long enough to work on it.   I would really hate to have to choose between the two saws. 

Edited by Scrappile

Like Zen Scroller said Is it variable speed if not the Variable motor will cost you as much as a new EX16.Does it have the front tension lever.If it does not have that lever you will have to fiddle with the tension knob in the rear every time you change a blade But you can buy the front lever conversion for about 180.00.If it has variable than the conversion is worth it for what you paid for the saw.The Hegner is a bear .It only has 2 bushing that can wear out .Maintenance is a matter of 2 drops of oil on each bushings about every 8 hours of running time.I have the EX 16 and I love it.But the Hegner is my  go to saw for Compound cuts and really hardwoods I notice that the EX does bog down but will not brake blades like the Hegner .Both saws compliment each other

Edited by tonylumps

It is variable speed, but i didn't notice the tension lever. It also comes with a few of the blade holders which I guess is a plus.

I would invest in the front tension lever. I looked at one without,and it is a pita to keep adjusting the rear tension knob .I just could not get the blade in the same position when i took the blade out of the mounting clamps.You would still be a head of the game.And if it does have the tension lever.You really made a score

You can look them over and see what is available for upgrades at AdvanceMachinery.com.  There are three sizes of blade clamp and they are around $25 a pair.  You will want the Quick clamp they have also.  Worth going to the site and looking at the saws and accessaries.  The more you know about it the better able to make a decision.  I agree with Tony, if it has the front tension lever, grab it provided it runs smoothly and all else works.  If not, it may still be a decent deal.  

T

I have the opportunity to buy an 18" Hegner Scrollsaw for $175, I don't really need it since I have an Ex21 that I have hardly used yet but I am wanting to buy it just because I can never pass up a good deal. I guess I just want some opinions on what to do and is it as good a saw as I've heard?

Thanks for any input. 

Robert

The problem with temptation is ...the opportunity may never come again! go for it!!!

I have the Hegner 18 variable speed...a 1996 model which I bought used. It works great. These machines are built for the long term and heavy cutting with none of the issues which seem to bother the DeWalt saws.

I have not upgraded to the front tension lever. Yes, it is nice but for $179, I can read back 18" and flip the lever.

At $175, I would buy that saw if I needed one. I think it is a steel.

The price is right, there is one for sale over on the Sawmill Creek site. The saw is 18 years old, and the seller wants to sell it for over a thousand dollars. I know these saws are expensive to buy, but, I don't think they are worth that much for a saw that old.The saw he is trying to sell is, a 22"Multimax.

Len

I just set up a blade and ran a piece of 1/2" pine through it, nice and smooth all through the different speeds, it did vibrate a little at higher speeds but when I put pressure on the table it was smooth again, same thing happened with my EX21 because the floor isn't very level. Very quiet too, all you can really hear is the air coming out from the bellows. All in all I am happy so far!

Congrats. You made a good score.The saw only comes with 1 set of clamps.You have 50.00 in extra clamps with the quick clamp.The good part about the saw is Advance machinery.are good people to deal with and stock all of the parts and access.I have been dealing with them for a couple of years since i bought my Tormek off of them.That saw is bullet proof.You will appreciate it on compound cuts.But it will break blades if the tension is a little to high.Just a few drops of oil on the 2 bushings about every 8 to 12 hours of run time

Edited by tonylumps