disowned 2 new customers today

amazingkevin

they just wouldn't listen to what i'm telling them.One kept changing her mind .I went thru all her changes one by one showed her the pattern and still after she agreed she would disagree and want something else changes ...i   told her three different times enough is enough,finally i had to put my foot down .the other one was just as bad but i could see it coming and never answered her back.i don't need to go back and forth like this .

Frustrating is an under statement. I think all of us that sell go through this at some point. Talked to gentleman yesterday at a show about a custom order. He changed his mind 3 times just talking. I told him to write me when he decided on exactly what he wanted. He agreed and we parted company. This approach seems to help limit the frustration. 

9 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

they just wouldn't listen to what i'm telling them.One kept changing her mind .I went thru all her changes one by one showed her the pattern and still after she agreed she would disagree and want something else changes ...i   told her three different times enough is enough,finally i had to put my foot down .the other one was just as bad but i could see it coming and never answered her back.i don't need to go back and forth like this .

Kevin you know the old saying; ( The customer is always right) I know you always follow all the old sayings. Right???

I too very rarely take an order that has specifics in it. Not worth the effort. I have been left with product that I could not sell because people pull out of the deal. Yes you can keep deposit but still not enough to cover time and effort and then materials you have a hard time reusing. If someone wants more than one of something I make is much different because even if they pullout I can resell easily. Putting names on things is something I have stopped doing also. I will not personalize. I leave that to others. Again just no money in it and not worth the time. 

In another world, I dealt with quotes and written estimates and initial deposits. I know this may not be so sophisticated but something on paper eliminates the " he said, she said" and a deposit on the work says they have skin in the game and will think twice before backing out. An old sales and marketing adage says that 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers.  Focus on the loyal 20% and you will have less head aches and more reliable revenue.  

Kevin,

It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time. Some are true nut cases. Don't let it bother you. Do your best, as you always have, and let the nut cases go to the squirrels.

People who can't make up their minds of what they want, need to go think long and hard before ordering anything special. I have had to refuse work because of this too. I tell them that I cannot help them if they cannot settle on what they want. Then I suggest that they come back after they have decided exactly what they want and have their requests written down. If they come back with this, I make them sign it at the bottom and then make a copy to give to them along with a receipt for their payment. I make them pay the estimated cost up front.I always make the customer pay for special jobs at 100% of the estimate, up front. I keep the original of their requests and attach it to my copy of the order form. It becomes a written contract that protects both of you.

When the work is complete, I double check it to be certain that I have done everything that they wanted.. Then I call them to come in to pick it up. I always estimate the job a little (usually 10%) high and then give them a refund if it takes me the time that I really expected it to. I will never charge more than my estimate, even if I loose money because it took longer than my estimate. They get the extra back if they are happy with what I have made for them. When they get money back, even if it's only 2-3% along with the work done the way that they wanted in writing, it makes them very happy. If they find anything that they don't like it's because they didn't ask for it in writing, so it's completely on them. You can then give them an estimate for fixing it or re-making it, but it's also pay 100% up front with a written request, the same as a new special order..  Some people decide to take what they paid for and are not happy, but it's what they asked for in writing. You may never see them again, but that's OK. There's no way to please them, so don't even try, let them go. Giving a little money back, even if it's just a couple of dollars, seems to make most people into loyal customers from then on. They develop trust in you and that you will do right by them. Of course, it they find any mistake and I didn't completely do what they asked for, in writing, I will apologize and make it right for no additonal money, and sometimes even a discount to cover their time to come back for it, or I'll deliver it.

.I hate doing business this way, but it's necessary in this day and age. I have never lost money when doing work this way, but have gained a few loyal customers because they got what they asked for and paid for band got some money back as well. The ones who couldn't make up their mind the first time, but are happy with the end result frequently become loyal customers and are prepared with their request in writing the next time that they come to ask for special work. The ones who are never satisfied have already paid you, so you don't loose any money, even if they aren't happy. These are the nuts that need to go to the squirrels anyway.

I don't sell any of my woodworking projects and never have. I used this method of doing business when I was running a successful photo re-touching business many years ago, but if I should ever decide to sell my wood bwork, it will be by this way of doing business for any special work that I take on.. You need to make a profit  and you will loose money if you try to do work for nut cases.

Charley

Kevin, what you need to do is show them the pattern and what it's going to look like and write out a contract and let them sign it. Also get half down. If they complain or don't like it, show them the pattern that they agreed on and that's that. If they don't want it, keep the deposit and send them on there way.

The late great Michael Collins - noted photographer - talked about working with a corporate art director to produce a magazine ad.   Michael was shooting 8" x 10" Polaroid proofs (at around $10.00 each shutter drop.)  After 4 hours he was shooting the fifth proof with lighting change and setup.  The art director wanted to go back to the original setup.  Michael looked at the art director and said "Ahhhh, you're confusing me."  The art director started telling Michael what he wanted and Michael repeated "Ahhhh, your confusing me."  With his voice dripping with sarcasm the art director said "What?  The famous Michael Collins can't follow simple directions?"!!!

Michael smiled and said:  "No, that's not the problem.  You are confusing me with someone who needs your business.  You may leave now."

20 hours ago, tuner said:

:lol:There is no satisfying some people and you can only try  till you have to give up...I only wish they came with a sign so you could avoid them 

yes i like that idea just like bad drivers  you shoot rubber darts on there car when they mess up.they look like a porcupine on the road so you stay clear of them.lol

15 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Frustrating is an under statement. I think all of us that sell go through this at some point. Talked to gentleman yesterday at a show about a custom order. He changed his mind 3 times just talking. I told him to write me when he decided on exactly what he wanted. He agreed and we parted company. This approach seems to help limit the frustration. 

they've no idea what there wanting

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I too very rarely take an order that has specifics in it. Not worth the effort. I have been left with product that I could not sell because people pull out of the deal. Yes you can keep deposit but still not enough to cover time and effort and then materials you have a hard time reusing. If someone wants more than one of something I make is much different because even if they pullout I can resell easily. Putting names on things is something I have stopped doing also. I will not personalize. I leave that to others. Again just no money in it and not worth the time. 

i try to satisfie everyone but that's not possiable

13 hours ago, munzieb said:

In another world, I dealt with quotes and written estimates and initial deposits. I know this may not be so sophisticated but something on paper eliminates the " he said, she said" and a deposit on the work says they have skin in the game and will think twice before backing out. An old sales and marketing adage says that 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers.  Focus on the loyal 20% and you will have less head aches and more reliable revenue.  

very good advice

12 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Kevin,

It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time. Some are true nut cases. Don't let it bother you. Do your best, as you always have, and let the nut cases go to the squirrels.

People who can't make up their minds of what they want, need to go think long and hard before ordering anything special. I have had to refuse work because of this too. I tell them that I cannot help them if they cannot settle on what they want. Then I suggest that they come back after they have decided exactly what they want and have their requests written down. If they come back with this, I make them sign it at the bottom and then make a copy to give to them along with a receipt for their payment. I make them pay the estimated cost up front.I always make the customer pay for special jobs at 100% of the estimate, up front. I keep the original of their requests and attach it to my copy of the order form. It becomes a written contract that protects both of you.

When the work is complete, I double check it to be certain that I have done everything that they wanted.. Then I call them to come in to pick it up. I always estimate the job a little (usually 10%) high and then give them a refund if it takes me the time that I really expected it to. I will never charge more than my estimate, even if I loose money because it took longer than my estimate. They get the extra back if they are happy with what I have made for them. When they get money back, even if it's only 2-3% along with the work done the way that they wanted in writing, it makes them very happy. If they find anything that they don't like it's because they didn't ask for it in writing, so it's completely on them. You can then give them an estimate for fixing it or re-making it, but it's also pay 100% up front with a written request, the same as a new special order..  Some people decide to take what they paid for and are not happy, but it's what they asked for in writing. You may never see them again, but that's OK. There's no way to please them, so don't even try, let them go. Giving a little money back, even if it's just a couple of dollars, seems to make most people into loyal customers from then on. They develop trust in you and that you will do right by them. Of course, it they find any mistake and I didn't completely do what they asked for, in writing, I will apologize and make it right for no additonal money, and sometimes even a discount to cover their time to come back for it, or I'll deliver it.

.I hate doing business this way, but it's necessary in this day and age. I have never lost money when doing work this way, but have gained a few loyal customers because they got what they asked for and paid for band got some money back as well. The ones who couldn't make up their mind the first time, but are happy with the end result frequently become loyal customers and are prepared with their request in writing the next time that they come to ask for special work. The ones who are never satisfied have already paid you, so you don't loose any money, even if they aren't happy. These are the nuts that need to go to the squirrels anyway.

I don't sell any of my woodworking projects and never have. I used this method of doing business when I was running a successful photo re-touching business many years ago, but if I should ever decide to sell my wood bwork, it will be by this way of doing business for any special work that I take on.. You need to make a profit  and you will loose money if you try to do work for nut cases.

Charley

Well said!