whole shop dust colletion

Bpardue

Well it is finally coming to an end. Last year in October I bought a air Filtration system for the shop and than at Christmas I received a Dust collector from my wife as a Christmas present. After I started the collector up in my shop I realized it was way too load to remain in the shop. I have added an exterior storage closet for it, I had the redesign the majority of the upper wall space in the shop to accommodate the 4" pipes. I ended up stopping on getting it up and running sense the weather turned hotter sense all I had left was the run the electrical to the machine and that was running through the hot attic. With the weather turning very nice over the past 2 weekends I was finally able to finish hooking it up. I was also able the get a dust collection hood built for my flexible drum sander this weekend. This drum sander is the biggest tool in the shop creating all the saw dust. It was nice late yesterday doing some sanding and not getting covered with dust. 

I still have to tie my chop saw, spindle sander, stationary sander, drill press & both scrollsaws into it. Everything is will be controlled by blast gates at each tool. I even installed an extra blast gate for when I am using the planer or bandsaw 

59b67f7f25532_dusthood.thumb.JPG.ee879b203152a172bf1fa22e23a613c9.JPG

Thought I would share some of my shop photos. As you can see in the photos I try to stay very organized in my shop. One of the photos show several of the Intarsia projects I'm working on. I use a "project board" for my intarsia projects so that i can move them around in the shop or even stack them up to make more room. You will notice in a couple of the photos where there is a wide section between the upper cabinet doors. This is a removable section of the Face frame to access the dust collection hard piping if need. Also works as a great place to hide things. The other thing i really like in the shop is the lumber storage rack with the peg board wall for holding all my recent projects.  The scroll saw in the photos is my make-up Porter Cable that I'm using while the Dewalt is in the repair shop and while I'm waiting on my new Hawk. If you see anything you want to ask about let me know.  

59b7bea0bdb0a_shop13.thumb.JPG.3e53f30b8a911ae9e763003d83e90bcf.JPG59b7bea393f41_shop14.thumb.JPG.8b2b99bfd54df151c686d2f08d80ff8e.JPG59b7bea52eadf_shop15.thumb.JPG.c22f9af9afa407a20ccffcc07aa7947d.JPG59b7bea716deb_shop16.thumb.JPG.a9ae334c871cddf6d897d431be5c0752.JPG59b7bea87d0a1_shop17.thumb.JPG.7d399b3afe5d79a3d1fc4391ec241b41.JPG59b7beaa5a71f_shop18.thumb.JPG.0c38df566a6a00746f720b6f78273d43.JPG59b7beac145a5_shop19.thumb.JPG.b66b3af5559fdde6fdd652f119a62a24.JPG

I am considering purchasing a Dust Deputy but I will still need a decent shop vac. Without breaking the bank, what would you folks suggest for a vacuum. I was leaning toward a Home Depot unit or maybe a Rigid but I will wait for some input from you all. I'm sort of thinking of a small one in the 5 gallon size for just my scroll saw. I have limited space. I can't afford one of the high end vacuums. 

Ray

21 hours ago, rdatelle said:

All looks great but where's the car go.

Our Cars have never seen the inside of the garage. When I enclosed the carport about 10 years ago; we had always planned for the garage to be a workshop. For the 1st few years it was a storage area while we finished remodeling the house. 

18 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I am considering purchasing a Dust Deputy but I will still need a decent shop vac. Without breaking the bank, what would you folks suggest for a vacuum. I was leaning toward a Home Depot unit or maybe a Rigid but I will wait for some input from you all. I'm sort of thinking of a small one in the 5 gallon size for just my scroll saw. I have limited space. I can't afford one of the high end vacuums. 

Ray

Hi Ray, Interesting enough I purchased a Dust Deputy about four weeks ago through Amazon. I assembled it and before I hooked it up the fittings just did not seem right for me. It is very flimsy and really needs a stand or something to keep it from falling over. The three little casters under it do not really cut it. Then adding a good vacuum takes additional space and cost. I already had a HF 13 gallon dust collector that was working and it was located just outside my little shop in the main part of the garage. My two car garage is partitioned off to make my 8X14" shop. My CanAm Spyder was parked in the car side. My wife's car stood outside as it should. If her car were to be in side the garage should be called "car shed."  But I digress. I sold my Spyder and my wife wants her "car shed" back. My dust collector was in the way so I got the Dust Deputy. I did not even really try it. Tomorrow a friend and I will mount the HF unit on a shelf above her car. I'll probably put the Dust Deputy on Craig's List for $50. I think the HF unit sells for around $100 or so, is much more efficient and the irritating noise is not in the shop. If The dust Deputy works for you that is good but if you have a way to mount the HF unit on a wall or somewhere I think you will be happy. I'll post photos when my installation is complete.

9 hours ago, JOE_M said:

What's your air filtration system (I don't see a box in the pics)? I ran the wires to a ceiling spot 10 years ago and still haven't bothered to install one. Now that I've got the computer for the CNC sitting right under where it would go I should probably go ahead and put one in.

I Both a Jet Filtration System that hang in the center of the shop