Giving Thanks To The Village

Chunkthekid

I agree - love everything and everyone here for all their help, information, encouragement that has been offered since I joined up about a year and a half ago.  Like you, I have done things I would never have done without having found the village. I too am thankful for the Village and my friends here.

I agree this is a great forum with great members.   I usually check in daily when I can.   Sometimes I actually have something to say that might be helpful.   So I would like to thank everyone who contributes to our continuing success.   Also a special thanks to Travis for all he does for us.  

I also enjoy all the people and knowledge here on the village.. I've been a member of many many forums over the years and non compare to the village.. I thank all of those who take part in making this the best site.. first and for most Thanks to Travis for keeping up with all the required things to keep the place running smooth.. But not only to just Travis.. but everyone that takes part in discussions along the way.. without the discussions that go on here.. the site would be quite boring.. 

On a side note.. I recently joined a couple of FB groups for CNC laser cutting... Wow.. what a bunch of rude people there.. ask a question and they bite your head off and tell you to use the search function.. If someone ask about a pattern they go off on you about wanting to be a free loader looking for free patterns or advice.. I was in awe when I seen how some of these guy were.. 

23 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I also enjoy all the people and knowledge here on the village.. I've been a member of many many forums over the years and non compare to the village.. I thank all of those who take part in making this the best site.. first and for most Thanks to Travis for keeping up with all the required things to keep the place running smooth.. But not only to just Travis.. but everyone that takes part in discussions along the way.. without the discussions that go on here.. the site would be quite boring.. 

On a side note.. I recently joined a couple of FB groups for CNC laser cutting... Wow.. what a bunch of rude people there.. ask a question and they bite your head off and tell you to use the search function.. If someone ask about a pattern they go off on you about wanting to be a free loader looking for free patterns or advice.. I was in awe when I seen how some of these guy were.. 

I hate to say it but that's what the younger generation has become in many cases. I will say though that I joined a few forums on electronics and 3D printing and have found them to be pretty good and most folks are polite. I have no idea whether this is truly the case but I have found that young folks have no patience and are quick to cut you off. I'm not saying all of them so please don't climb my tree.

Edited by octoolguy

Great post Chunk. 

I agree that this is a great forum. I used to belong to a railroad forum where a lot of "flaming" was the norm.  I don't even bother going there anymore.

I also check out the Village almost every day, however it's rare that I give my two cents, mainly cuz someone has already said what I was thinking. (Which is kind of scary in and of itself. Big smile). I have learned a lot from all of you, thank you.  Again, great post Chunk  

I really enjoy this site also, and the main thing I like about here . Is that all questions get answered, no matter how many times they've been asked. I despise the sites, that always has someone or more who directs you to their library. Pretty much everyone who uses the internet, knows that each site has a library or index of its own. But I've searched many of those libraries, and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I greatly appreciate that this site isn't like that, if it was I would have left a long time ago. That's what I did with the other sites, when I got the check out the library reply  from more then one person, I left the site for good. I do  realize that my leaving the site made no difference to whomever owned it, but I do  have principles.  Thanks Travis, you do an amazing job of keeping everything running smoothly. Plus, I apologize for any issues I may have caused.

Len

P.S. The apologize pertains to any replies that I may have given, that may have upset others. It's just that I believe in speaking my mind, and when I do that I don't think of how others might feel about my response. I'm stubborn and pig-headed, and I usually say what I think. I truly am sorry for being like that, but I do believe  in saying what one thinks or feels about something. It's not meant to be mean, it's meant to be about how I truthfully feel about something.

Edited by Lucky2

This is a great post, Chunk! Thank you Mr. Travis for puttin' up w/me & my opinionated self. Len, you're not alone there. When I answer a post, I answer it from personal experience, & how I think the best way to handle the business at hand would be.

Another great aspect of this forum, as mentioned, is friendship. As a lone wolf, so to speak, I don't have many friends. I never have. Most of that came from trucking, but I've always been a lone wolf. I've met a lot of folks here, & made several friends I keep in touch with regularly. 

Ray, you're not a pain in the rear, brother! You just ain't quite got the hang of things yet. You'll get it, it don't come over night! It's a good thing there weren't cameras in phones when I started 25+ years ago! You'd get a good chuckle from the piles of customized firewood I made. And I started out in a 8' x 10' room in our basement.

Another great thing about our forum is the help for newcomers. I admit, I'm one of the first to preach about spending time w/the manual for the saw, learning your equipment, on & on, but also try to make friends w/them & answer their questions, make suggestions to them as to what will or won't work with what information they're giving us. Like a couple others said, I'm a member/have been a member of other forums when newcomers start asking questions, the big boys jump in & start tellin' them that particular job can't be done w/out all these shiny expensive tools, & their way is the only way to get it done! Ahhhh! To heck w/that! I'm self taught, & started out with a little bit of nothin'! And still have most of it left! It's about pullin' together, answerin' the question, & helpin' them thru their crisis. 

Thanks again, everyone, for the friendship, help, & just bein' my friend. Brad.

I appreciate this place as well, I have come and gone as my interests and hobbies fluctuate between scrolling and pen making. I still make pens, but not as much. When it starts to feel like a job its time to back off for a while. scrolling is relaxing, but I'm still a newbie and the folks here have been great. So much help and patience. It's rare to find this on any online forum. I try to find as much info as I can on my own, but the real answers and help come from the Village and you wonderful people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:09 AM, Chunkthekid said:

Good morning everyone (or good evening for our fine folks on the other side this big blue ball). I was sitting at my saw last night and kept thinking about how much being a member of this site has really made me fall in love with this art form. I bought my first saw last march on a whim and joined this site shortly after. I haven't looked back since. The knowledge I have gained from everyone here has given me the confidence to try things I never would have thought of on my own.  I make it a point to look here everyday to see what useful tip is being discussed and not many days have gone by without me learning something new (or at least getting a chuckle from Jerry' s cartoons).

So to everyone that has ever posted ANYTHING on this site, thank you.

I've been to many clubs but this one is hands on and all scroll saw ,no idle chit chat!All meat and potatoes here!