Wood scrap

Runa

Define scrap...

The tiny bits that come out of portrait cutting get tossed in the garbage or burn box. I briefly had a million dollar idea to combine them with dryer lint to make fire starters but didn't do anything with it.

Any piece that is big enough to make an ornament out of I keep, with out any questions (3" square or so). Pieces smaller than that only get kept if they are good wood or I know exactly what I will do with them and have a place to store them.

I keep all my small wood pieces in a plastic tote bin, when the bin is full I go through and weed out pieces that I don't need to keep. I also have a smaller plastic bin of random little bits that have potential for jewelry making or something. 

I believe scrap wood is in the eye of the beholder.   I have a hard time throwing any wood away that might make a small item of some sort.   The problem is I end up with so many small pieces I have to part with some every once in a while.   I bag up some of it for my son for kindling he uses for camp fires and I burn the rest in my own fire pit.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:30 AM, Runa said:

Hello all, What do you do with wood scraps left over from scrolling?

I have designed around 10 state wildlife puzzles in order to use scrap pieces of wood.

If the scraps are a little larger, say 3" x 4", I will cut "mini" animal puzzles with 3-6 pieces.

image.thumb.jpeg.478318373de00fca79996cee87b94834.jpeg

bb

I keep my "scrap wood" in 4 different stackable square totes I inherited from our local grocery store. The longer, better pieces I keep & use for glue ups for different projects, & even use some of if it on the lathe in different projects. Since I'm not into intarsia, I use mine in other scrolling projects or the lathe, or whatever. You fellas that do into intarsia, you have a special knack none of the rest of us have! I like the work, just have other interests. Keep on keepin' on!:cool:

I re-use what I can but have more scraps than I can find a use for so some of it ends up as kindling or sacrificial pieces for the pillar drill.   I always wanted to try sticking random pieces to a backer board and see what comes out of it but have never got around to it.

Rob