Dust Colllection Question

danny

Hello to All....   Having thoughts of investing in another way of controlling the Dust. 

Question is....Has any of you used this set up sold at SEYCO. 

#DV-10A Cyclonic Action Scroll Saw Dust Collector

$155.00

Just looking for Pros and Cons at present.  AND....I give Thanks for your Input..............Danny  :+}

image.png

I've been meaning to ask these same questions.. and I'll add another question.. how easy would this unit move from one saw to the next? Since I have 5 saws now, LOL but in reality I only use one at a time :) .. no really out of the 5 I only intend to use / keep 3 of the saws..  Wish I could figure a way out to use two at a time.. I mean.. I've got two hands and two eyes.. shouldn't be that hard to do..

Thinking in my situation maybe I should look into a Festool vac.. and pipe it to the saws with a shutoff valve or just unhook hose from one saw to the next..

I use a Festool vac with pickups above and below the table. However, it is quite a bit more expensive but more versatile as I use it for other shop tools like sander  and circular saw. 

This unit at Seyco is about $165 and supposed to be quiet.  It looks pretty good  but would be better if it also collected dust above the table.  

I didn't notice the on collection on the top, which means the dust created on top is just blown into the air.   I think that is where the most you breath is generated.  Unless you could modify it to suck the top dust also, I would pass.  Just my opinion.  Other than that, I like what I see. 

I have the system and am very pleased with the way it performs. ....This unit is quite and most of the dust is captured in the cyclone jar.....I have used it for several months and have only changed the small bag in the vac-unit once, while dumping the jar many times...I also have a 20x20 box fan near the saw with air filter taped to it.....I also have the shop vac air cleaner near by that pulls the finer dust from the shop.....Just my two cents....works for me.

I just added this dust collector and I really like it. The VAC is quieter then my shop vac but still not as quiet as I would have expected.  I'll be trying to fit some sort of "muffler" to the exhaust.  The cyclone is absolutely awesome!!!  There is barely any dust that goes to the filter. The dust collect only attaches to the bottom of the saw via a magnet. it does a decent job but it needs improvement on that one.  there is no top dust collection.  Seyco does supply a goose neck attachment for the top but you need to figure out how to attach it and how to connect it to the bottom hose.  I plan to buy a ScrollNado and attach it to the Dust collector.  Seyco also supplies a power spliter to attach to your foot switch so the VAC starts the minute you start scrolling.

Overall, I'm happy with this dust collector. its not perfect but it does a very goo job at sucking up dust. Now to perfect the positioning of the hoses and that will be perfect!!

Edited by poupster2

Here is what I did for above table dust removal on my Hawk.  I removed the blower pipe and added a 1/2" line that connected to the main vacuum line.  This new line utilizes the original hold down hardware except for the foot.  I can raise and lower the line to match board thickness and the line sits almost immediately behind the blade and is close enough to vacuum anything coming off the blade or even that would sit on the work.  I started with a shop vac but then transitioned to an old junked Dyson floor vacuum cleaner that was repurposed out of my neighbors garbage carrier into my dust collector.

ss12.jpg

ss4.jpg

Edited by stevan

Want to Thank ALL for your thoughts.  Many that make me feel this will be Good.

I like the added line running to the Blade.  Looks like a Simple modification.  But like

was mentioned will the Vacuum have enough suction for TWO hoses.  Seems like from

what I read it will.  I will check back here and Hope for more posts on this.            Danny  :+}

1 hour ago, danny said:

Want to Thank ALL for your thoughts.  Many that make me feel this will be Good.

I like the added line running to the Blade.  Looks like a Simple modification.  But like

was mentioned will the Vacuum have enough suction for TWO hoses.  Seems like from

what I read it will.  I will check back here and Hope for more posts on this.            Danny  :+}

A good shop vac should have sufficient vacuum to pull through two hoses.  Something like 3/4" pvc  as the main line should work and then your table top line would be something smaller and more flexible and easy to maneuver.

I have had huge breathing problems since i started scrolling. Both my asthma and allergies kick in a big way. I currently wear mask and eye glass and also clean my space out on a regular basis. 

I wish there was an economical way to collect it. I cannot imagine if my shop was i doors how i'd keep dust off.

I just finished my vac system for my Dewalt 788. Here are some pics. Nothing fancy but very functional. This is also in answer to the OP's question. The Dust Deputy works great. So far, it has caught almost all the sawdust.

Don't look at all the other crap. My shop is a work in progress. And before anybody mentions it, I haven't tried tilting the table yet. That may require some minor adjustments.

Ray

20171215_153232.thumb.jpg.47aed784b663601f574f2e4de88c8042.jpg20171215_153243.thumb.jpg.1c5a2965e4bdb10e6f1eb6058c6153b0.jpg20171215_153300.thumb.jpg.f3e27de495fb878b1c67ac4353e6f810.jpg20171215_153510.thumb.jpg.740e7eac2c50a10063297447b2fda9d8.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

3 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Your system is looking good Ray.

Thanks. I think it's going to be the answer to the problem of sawdust under the saw. It was only a few bucks too. Of course, I got a heck of a deal on the used Fein on Craigslist. I also discovered that the air blower is reversible so I was able to move it out of the way.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy