hotshot

2 hours ago, WayneG said:

great work, I have made the logo from wood myself and it is a nice one to cut.

I must try this coin cutting. Do you have any suggestions for a first attempt pattern?

I have some beginner patterns as well as a full set of how to instructions at www.coincutting.com.  Applying the patterns to coin requires a much different approach, but it is easy enough, so you definitely want to check out my approach before attempting.  If you already have the Jeweler blades, you could try some free style cutting on a quarter to practice turning and such.  If you use quarters or smaller, they are harder to hold by hand, so you may want to super glue it to a thin piece of wood to help hold it.

Randy, another very nice piece, I laughed when I read your description on how you elongated the coin. I used to work for the railroad years ago, we would flatten and elongate coins by setting the coins on the tracks, and have the train run over them. We used them to make fishing lures out of, they made great spinners.

Len

2 hours ago, dgman said:

Another beautiful piece Randy!

Question: when you flatten and oblong the coin, you lose the details of the coin. Would it be less expensive to use sheet stock?

Yep, that would probably be cheaper, but where is the fun in that?  :-)  For me at at least, the "origination story" behind the coin, smashing/elongating, still gives the pieces a novel back story.  The coins are also clad, so it is neat to show the customers that they can still see that clad edge which links it back to the coin.  On designs where I keep the outside shape, the ridges from the original coin are also still visible.

In a similar manner, it is kind of fun to show someone a nice shiny brass pendant, and tell them the piece was made from a Chucky Cheese token.  Some people would like that, some people would think that lessened the novelty.  Really depends on the person.

On 12/9/2017 at 2:51 AM, hotshot said:

Cut on an elongated Eisenhower.  Logo is really wide but not very tall, so it made sense to stretch out an Eisenhower to get more room.  This could have been cut much smaller except for the eyes which don't scale down that far.

In addition to the coin I cut, I added an extra picture to show the elongated coin before I cut it.  I used a rolling mill to elongate the coin (this is like a train, except you can keep it in your house) :-)

Broncos.jpg.a13e30453dcfafbb72b3b1de7dbf8b91.jpg

Broncos_Smash.jpg.dd134c004d618feb7e77b112d189ee8d.jpg

well done hotshot !!!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, hotshot said:

In a similar manner, it is kind of fun to show someone a nice shiny brass pendant, and tell them the piece was made from a Chucky Cheese token.  Some people would like that, some people would think that lessened the novelty.  Really depends on the person.

He's gone too far now. Call the Feds--he is defacing Chucky Cheese tokens.  Oh, the humanity!!  :lol: