SPIDER MAN!! comic-book cover

3Dface

i am having a blast with this stuff. i asked what it might be called in another post and a nice member said it might be "layering". i searched and found that layering was stacking separate thin, mostly 1/8" layers of wood following a pattern then adding the picture/drawing to the layers then gluing the layers together.

this "3D cover?" is a comic book cover glued to 1/2" plywood, planning and cutting the cover into "puzzle pieces?" then using the layers of the plywood to adjust depth and hot glue each piece back into the body of the cover. very few of the pieces go back in "straight and level". for example all of the arms in this cover are made flush with the body of the subject and farther out at the hands to create more depth.

in any case i love doing it and have been lucky enough to sell a few to help pay for stuff to make more.

the last picture is a jig i made to hold the body of the project to make reassembly much easier.

spidermanvampire.jpg

spidermanvampire2.jpg

3d jig.jpg

3 hours ago, lawson56 said:

Now that is Just Downright Awesome!!:thumbs::thumbs:I use ot read Morbius whenI was younger.Spidy to.:)

my son is a comic book nut. after seeing a 3D i made of my friends family, it was he that suggested i try covers.

stopped yesterday and bought 10 more. i also picked up "the Beatles diary" and will be doing about 15 of the fab four.

i can't wait to dig in.

thanks for all the cements. makes me feel welcomed.

Nicely done Chris, it looks fantastic. Welcome to the Village, I look forward to viewing more of your work. And I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of scrolling, but I don't think it is called layering. If it is, then layering has changed from what it was once recognized as in the scrolling world. Layering is when you actually cut numerous layers, and stack them on top of each other to make a scene/picture. I've seen this type of cutting before, but the pieces were cut at an angle. They were cut that way,so that they could be moved forwards or back into the scene. It looks as if you cut your pieces at 90*, how do they stay in place with cutting them that way? 

Len

On 2/19/2018 at 2:19 PM, 3Dface said:

i am having a blast with this stuff. i asked what it might be called in another post and a nice member said it might be "layering". i searched and found that layering was stacking separate thin, mostly 1/8" layers of wood following a pattern then adding the picture/drawing to the layers then gluing the layers together.

this "3D cover?" is a comic book cover glued to 1/2" plywood, planning and cutting the cover into "puzzle pieces?" then using the layers of the plywood to adjust depth and hot glue each piece back into the body of the cover. very few of the pieces go back in "straight and level". for example all of the arms in this cover are made flush with the body of the subject and farther out at the hands to create more depth.

in any case i love doing it and have been lucky enough to sell a few to help pay for stuff to make more.

the last picture is a jig i made to hold the body of the project to make reassembly much easier.

spidermanvampire.jpg

spidermanvampire2.jpg

3d jig.jpg

I like your ideas!Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

Nicely done Chris, it looks fantastic. Welcome to the Village, I look forward to viewing more of your work. And I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of scrolling, but I don't think it is called layering. If it is, then layering has changed from what it was once recognized as in the scrolling world. Layering is when you actually cut numerous layers, and stack them on top of each other to make a scene/picture. I've seen this type of cutting before, but the pieces were cut at an angle. They were cut that way,so that they could be moved forwards or back into the scene. It looks as if you cut your pieces at 90*, how do they stay in place with cutting them that way? 

Len

hey len,

you are correct that i cut it all at 90*. this allows me to choose the depth when i  reassemble. cutting on an angle means the depth would be limited to the angle used.  as each piece is cut free from the body i remove them.

in this one, the words were cut first, next was spidie and his helper, last was the vampire. once these are out of the body i do secondary cutting.

cut off slidie's right arm then separate the 2 of them. the vampire cuts are arms, chest, then head with hair.

the hardest lesson by far is hot glue is, HOT! that is the biggest reason for the jig... lol

in this Hulk picture you can see a temporary frame to hold the body together sense the cuts also compromised the edges of the cover. the 2nd pic is the back before frame was removed.

hulk cut w-cover sm.jpg

IMG_20180108_142225.jpg

Edited by 3Dface

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

This is a fun twist on things. I have not seen this done before. Nothing I   enjoy much more then when I see a new idea come to life, like yours. Keep having fun, that is the most rewarding thing about scrolling to me

Dick

heppnerguy

thank you sir... i still do portraits for friends and rock stars. but i have 4 covers ready to cut tomorrow. will post when cut.