New Scrollers - Try puzzles - AHA Moments on the Horizon

new2woodwrk

Just a few words of advice for new scrollers - If you haven't already done so, try cutting some puzzles.

I've been scrolling now for just over 3 months and tackled my first Puzzle the other day. It was a scary attempt since I've previously looked at them as being a very advanced technique. In many ways they are advanced, however well worth the effort to attempt.

Here's why...

I used some recycled 1 x 3" Pine wood I had and joined 2 pieces together to make one 5 x 7" board for the puzzle

I cut the puzzle on a slow speed, but not the slowest speed since the wood was 3/4" thick

During the cutting of the puzzle I started to experience a few "AHA" moments.

What was happening was, I started to realize and was able to "feel" how much pressure to put on the project against the blade to make cuts through the project.

While I had been able to feel the pressure amount on other projects, the puzzle project really accented this due to all the twisting and curves involved in cutting the puzzle.

Which brings me to another "AHA" moment.

Because there are so many curves in puzzle projects, I started to realize how to push and "relax" the push into curves.

It was kind of like a swimming motion doing the curves... Push slightly as I turned into a curve and relax the push coming out of the curve to get back on line for the next curve or straight away. It became very rhythmical during the curves which translated into nice tight curves following the lines.

Did I stay EXACTLY on every line? No, but it didn't matter because the motion of the cutting through the curve became fluid and when completed the puzzle pieces fit together very well!

It was a very eye opening experience.

One of the last "AHA" moments I experienced were Points or the tips of curves.

Many of the curves ended in sharp points and continued into other curves with points, similar to waves.

By realizing the Push and relax technique in the curves, helped to make the points of the curves very sharp! This translated into nice crisp angles at other junctions where a sharp turn was needed.

So, if you are new to scrolling and not sure what to cut or where to start - try a few easy patterns and then cut a Puzzle or two!

Puzzles give you experience with so many different techniques all in one project:

• Pressure of the project against the blade
  • Curves - which translates into circles
  • Making sharp turns and points on angles
  • Keeping the blade trained "On the line" for gentle curves and straight cuts
  • Proper alignment of the table to be 90 degrees to the blade

Thanks for reading!

I agree, cutting the puzzles were/are a great exercise in learning to cut - on the line and keeping it properly aligned because if you don't you will be out of square and your puzzle pieces will not slide back together from both sides - front and back but only one.  That's the goal - you want the puzzle pieces to be able to slide back together whether they push it from the front or the back. Plus, @Iguanadon need some more puzzle Zombies buying and cutting puzzles. He needs more in order to implement his master plan to take over the world with animal puzzles. ;):D

Edited by meflick
typos (but probably still missed some!)

2 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Just a few words of advice for new scrollers - If you haven't already done so, try cutting some puzzles.

I've been scrolling now for just over 3 months and tackled my first Puzzle the other day. It was a scary attempt since I've previously looked at them as being a very advanced technique. In many ways they are advanced, however well worth the effort to attempt.

Here's why...

I used some recycled 1 x 3" Pine wood I had and joined 2 pieces together to make one 5 x 7" board for the puzzle

I cut the puzzle on a slow speed, but not the slowest speed since the wood was 3/4" thick

During the cutting of the puzzle I started to experience a few "AHA" moments.

What was happening was, I started to realize and was able to "feel" how much pressure to put on the project against the blade to make cuts through the project.

While I had been able to feel the pressure amount on other projects, the puzzle project really accented this due to all the twisting and curves involved in cutting the puzzle.

Which brings me to another "AHA" moment.

Because there are so many curves in puzzle projects, I started to realize how to push and "relax" the push into curves.

It was kind of like a swimming motion doing the curves... Push slightly as I turned into a curve and relax the push coming out of the curve to get back on line for the next curve or straight away. It became very rhythmical during the curves which translated into nice tight curves following the lines.

Did I stay EXACTLY on every line? No, but it didn't matter because the motion of the cutting through the curve became fluid and when completed the puzzle pieces fit together very well!

It was a very eye opening experience.

One of the last "AHA" moments I experienced were Points or the tips of curves.

Many of the curves ended in sharp points and continued into other curves with points, similar to waves.

By realizing the Push and relax technique in the curves, helped to make the points of the curves very sharp! This translated into nice crisp angles at other junctions where a sharp turn was needed.

So, if you are new to scrolling and not sure what to cut or where to start - try a few easy patterns and then cut a Puzzle or two!

Puzzles give you experience with so many different techniques all in one project:

• Pressure of the project against the blade
  • Curves - which translates into circles
  • Making sharp turns and points on angles
  • Keeping the blade trained "On the line" for gentle curves and straight cuts
  • Proper alignment of the table to be 90 degrees to the blade

Thanks for reading!

I think we need a "PUZZLE" topic on this forum! Whatya think Travis?

bb

Puzzles are about all I've been cutting.  I cut puzzles from 1X4", 6" and 8" pine boards. Cheap, cuts beautifully and only for my enjoyment. I use FD Penguin Silver Reverse. It made all the difference in my puzzles because the sawdust is discarded behind the blade efficiently. Other blades will also do this. The FD blades work for me.