Which sander?

I have a H/F R/O sander. One speed. Hi! Too powerful and no way to slow it down. So, I'm in the market to buy another sander. I'm looking at either a mouse palm sander or a R/O sander with variable speed. Which one do most of you folks have, how do you like it and why?

R

I have had a Festool Rotex I50 for the last 16 years and I LOVE it.  Why, you ask:

• The sander costs a LOT but lasts FOREVER,
  • The sandpaper also costs a LOT but lasts a long time,
  • Very little vibration,
  • Variable speed,
  • Two modes -one for aggressive material removal -one for fine sanding,
  • The dust collection is so good that my wife has let me use the sander in our living room.
Edited by Frank Pellow

This subject was brought very recently so if you go back and read some of the past threads you may find what you are asking. Alot has to do with the type of work you do. I use a porta cable block sander for over 30 years and will always use them. Fits my needs. But then again I have about 20 other sanders too so not the person to answer I guess. 

7 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

This subject was brought very recently so if you go back and read some of the past threads you may find what you are asking. Alot has to do with the type of work you do. I use a porta cable block sander for over 30 years and will always use them. Fits my needs. But then again I have about 20 other sanders too so not the person to answer I guess. 

John T. it was me that brought it up the last time but I can't seem to find it again. I never have any luck with the "search" feature on forums. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up. 

IMHO the Festool Sanders are the best out there for low vibration and dust collection.

The ergonomics and vibration are very important to me as I have had both wrists rebuilt and need to protect them.  Are they expensive.. Yes. But for me well worth it.  The price range for Sanders varies from the HF to the Festool at over $200.

The other important thing is what you are going to use it on.  

Ray, take into serious consideration what & how much you are sanding. IMHO, a r/o sander is for smaller areas & widths of lumber, & for clean in' up after a belt sander. You can use the r/o sander to sand out lengths of boards, but you have to be careful of swirl marks if you try to jump grits or put more down pressure in certain areas. That's where the belt sander comes in. To sand large areas & lengths. Then when you cut a piece of it for your project, you can use your r/o sander. 

Personally, I use a Palm sander on wood I'm preppin' for a project. After I've planed it to thickness, there really ain't much sandin' to do. Just run over it with 220 grit & it's ready for tape & the project. JMO, Sir. 

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

John T. it was me that brought it up the last time but I can't seem to find it again. I never have any luck with the "search" feature on forums. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up. 

Ray try these

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/28442-which-palm-sander/

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/28272-sanding-before-after-or-both/

I've had a Porter Cable for about a decade and it's very good. It uses velcro disks. They are 5 hole and easy to source. It's variable speed. A couple of years ago the velcro base de-laminated but it was easy to get a replacement from the PC and install. The dust collection filter it quite good or you can hook it up to a shop vac. 

I also have a Makita palm sander. I don't like it nearly as well. The sand paper needs to be cut from standard size sheets. Then punched for dust collection. It's single speed. And the dust collector filter is just so-so. 

And while this has nothing to do with your question, I do lots of hand sanding. For the face/back, the kind of sanding you'd do with a ros, I use spray adhesive to tack sandpaper down to a large piece of mdf (usually 3 different grits) and slide the scrolled stock back and forth a few times on each grit. 

7 hours ago, oldhudson said:

I've had a Porter Cable for about a decade and it's very good. It uses velcro disks. They are 5 hole and easy to source. It's variable speed. A couple of years ago the velcro base de-laminated but it was easy to get a replacement from the PC and install. The dust collection filter it quite good or you can hook it up to a shop vac. 

I also have a Makita palm sander. I don't like it nearly as well. The sand paper needs to be cut from standard size sheets. Then punched for dust collection. It's single speed. And the dust collector filter is just so-so. 

And while this has nothing to do with your question, I do lots of hand sanding. For the face/back, the kind of sanding you'd do with a ros, I use spray adhesive to tack sandpaper down to a large piece of mdf (usually 3 different grits) and slide the scrolled stock back and forth a few times on each grit. 

I like that idea. Thanks. Maybe I don't need a sander.

2 hours ago, ike said:

I use a mouse sander and love it. in fact I have 3 mous sanders one for corse, one for med. grit and the last one is for finish sanding I have just about all the rest and Ihavnot used them for several years. I recomend the nouse sanders.

IKE

What brand do you have? Are they variable speed or does it matter?

I have a Rigid and a Milwaukee ROS.  Both are variable speed.  The Rigid is my Go-To sander for most things, but I can't really say why, other than it connects to my shop vac hose without any special adapters.  The Milwaukee needed a fitting to attach to the shop vac and it makes the sander more clumsy to use, IMHO.  So I look at how readily they hook up to the shop vac as one of the primary criteria.

As for variable speed, I have it on all of my ROS.  I do use it occasionally.  I wouldn't say it was absolutely critical, but it's nice to have.  Most of the time, they run at full speed.

I don't own a Mouse sander, so I can't offer any opinion there, other than they never really appealed to me, for some reason.  I do have a Porter Cable oscillating multi-tool, which includes a triangular shaped sanding pad.  I use it occasionally for certain things, but it's not quite the same thing as the Mouse sander.

From my experience... if you're going to be using the on board dust collection that comes with the sander.. stay away from the ones that have the little fabric dust bags... every one of the sanders I've had in the past.. the orientation of the power cord and the dust bag.. rubs a hole in the bag.. then all the dust blows out at you.. I've replaced three sanders simply because the bag.. now these was cheapy sanders and I could never find anyplace online to get a replacement bag..

So, my last sander I bought was a Bosh R/O variable speed sander... this has been used way more than the other sanders I had because back then I was just hobby playing in the shop.. not doing a whole lot of work unlike I do now.. I'm about 3-4 years now on this Bosh.. When I bought it I thought the plastic dust can would be cumbersome but actually less so than the bag ones I had in the past.. My only complaint is trying to open up the dust can to empty it out.. it is very smooth and not real aggressive.. I sand thin fragile portrait work with it with no issues.. 

I don't have that many sanders, although I will be in the market for that Rigid/Wen Belt/Spindle sander combo soon!

That being said, I have HF RO - very good for the money, Palm - Craftsman - I've had it for a long time, and belt sander B&D - also had it for a very long time and hardly ever use it anymore

I don't use any of these for sanding scroll projects however. I only use them for large sanding projects like coffee tables, cabinets etc. I do use the RO sometimes for my frames but even that is seldom.

I mostly use sanding blocks and sanding strips for scroll projects. I also have a bunch of sanding drums I use with my drill press for scroll projects.

Hope that helps somewhat.

I have been using Dewalt ROS have had more than 10 years got it at Rockler on sale as a refurbished sander. It is variable speed and I have been more than pleased with it. I have replaced the hook and loop pad once and replaced the cord once. Well actually twice the first time was from use the outside cord cover was showing wire. The second time we moved and smarty that I am I put the sander in with the tines of a small tiller. Guess how many holes were cut in the cord not all the way through and did work with out shock but decided needed to replace. Both time ordered from Replacement and installed. 

I have the regullar mouse brand, I have had them for some time I can't thinnk of the brand . I use them on all my projects with no damage to the cuttings. the cost of one is some where around $30. I have one that I bought at a garage sale so I don't know how old it is. i have 3 other sanders which are getting alful dusty.

IKE

For R/O sanders I have only had a DeWalt.  So, I can't compare, but I have been happy with my DeWalt.  It's about 10 years old.  I do not use it a whole lot but glad I have it when I need it.  Granted the Festool is probably the best of the best, but I just do not use one enough to justify that kind of money for one.  My DeWalt has great dust collection when I hook my Fein vac to it.

6 hours ago, ike said:

I have the regullar mouse brand, I have had them for some time I can't thinnk of the brand . I use them on all my projects with no damage to the cuttings. the cost of one is some where around $30. I have one that I bought at a garage sale so I don't know how old it is. i have 3 other sanders which are getting alful dusty.

IKE

Thanks Ike. I think I will go with one of them too. I had a really good Dewalt variable speed ros but it got sold when we sold out everything to go out on the road. There are things that I truly regret selling but that's all in the rear view mirror now.

R

• 5 years later...

I have several sanders. Three of them are random orbit sanders. I Hitachi and one two Bauer. The Hitachi is by far and away the best but it has a weird shaped dust port. The Bauers sanders have a round dust port.

They only get used for sanding boards that are too large for my Shopsmith belt sander.