Christmas Ornaments

Dave Monk

I have always used rattle can sprays and have used several types such as
Deft (can't find that locally anymore), Minwax polyurethane, Krylon Clear, Rustoleum Polyurethane,
and the last two cans I bought were Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel.
I seem to get the same results with any of those brands so, if you choose to try any of those,
I suppose you can just let the price be your guide! Just follow the directions and apply thin, even coats
and two coats should be enough protection for ornaments.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Depends on the time of year as to what finish I use for any of my items other than portrait work.. During the warmer months.. I use Danish Oil.. have used the 50/50 BLO / Mineral spirits but I find that Danish oil does the same thing and ads a sealer to it as well which is IMO better.. In the colder months when things take longer to dry etc.. and to avoid mailing out a strong smelling package I use a homemade brew of beeswax and mineral oil.. this finish can be applied and mailed out the same day.. actually I believe as well as many of my friends and family that this mix actually looks better than any of the other finishes.. BUT... it is a tedious job brushing the mix on the wood and getting it into all the fretwork areas etc.. then heating it up to melt it into the wood as a liquid.. once dried it gives a very nice sheen that i cannot get with any other finishing types. But.. for durability and ease of use.. I do use the Danish oil as much as possible..

Portrait work is the only thing I finish with a poly spray.. everything else is the above mentioned..

If the ornament is in wood, I dip in tung oil let dry well and spray with poly.

Most of my ornaments are in Baltic Birch and I don't like the edges so I paint.  Usually I spray with rattle can - white or gold. I  use the Rustoleum gold Glitter for the if available.

Often I the white spay the with  Glitter Blaster silver of gold.  I have then sprayed with a sealer (not very often as expensive). 

Sometimes I high light leaves or bells with craft paint.  

I've made and given away hundreds of ornaments over the years and I've used many different types of finishes, depending on the ornament and the wood.  I've painted some.  I've sprayed lacquer or poly.  Don't care for either of those options.  I've dipped in oils (BLO & Danish).  I've left some natural.  I've stained and dyed for color.  The finish I use the most is shellac.  I typically apply it with a spray gun.

18 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Interesting! I'll have to try that. How do you deal with evaporation?

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I had never heard of this one.. I've got a quart of shellac I bought several years ago.. I think I may give that a try just to see how it goes. 

The beauty of this process is the ornaments are dry and ready to string or tie in 30 minutes.  I sell 100's of ornaments each year and this is real time saver.

Gonzo I have never had an evaporation issue.  I mix and store in an old shellac can.  Unlike poly or tung oil or lacquer shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol. 

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I had never heard of this one.. I've got a quart of shellac I bought several years ago.. I think I may give that a try just to see how it goes. 

Check on some scrap to make sure the shellac dries properly.  Standard rule of thumb is that pre-mixed shellac has a shelf life of 3 years, provided the can has not been opened.

5 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

Check on some scrap to make sure the shellac dries properly.  Standard rule of thumb is that pre-mixed shellac has a shelf life of 3 years, provided the can has not been opened.

Thank you for that info.. This can I have is probably 8 or more years old.. I did open it for brushing a finish on a sign I made.. so it's probably not any good..