Do you 'flit' or 'finish' ?

Foxfold

As you all probably know , I'm pretty new to this scrolling world but already I'm 'flitting' from thing to thing. 😁

I've got a Word Art Pattern half done, then I got my new saw and decided to try something 'tiny' ( a small disc with Japanese emblem on it). Today I received my new Intarsia for Beginners book so I'm trying a simple Intarsia pattern.

So I now have 3 things 'half' done,,,, now I know I'll finish them all eventually but, does anyone else flit from project to project or do you all totally finish one piece before moving to the next ?    Just curious to see if I'm the only one

I usually try to only have one scroll project going at once, but there usually a few other things I'm working on in the shop at the same time. I walk through the door and decide what I feel like messing with that day.

That being said, when I do intarsia, I will usually cut a few small fret pieces while I avoid sanding.

Really depends on what I am working on. Like Paul, I prefer to say I multitask. 😉 they will all get done, it just depends on my mood. Plus, sometimes I just have to “think” about something for a bit before I complete it. Sometimes, I have to think longer then other times. 🤨☺️:popcorn:

YEAH!! I have a lot of PHD's ... ( Projects Half Done ) LOL 

I have some from like 5 years ago that I started but.. got side tracked with an order or this or that.. before you know it it's been years.. LOL.. While I only have a couple that are quite old.. most I finish within a few weeks.. This happens to me a lot because of my business.. (ie yesterday I made a new Christmas ornament pattern.. and couldn't wait to get started on it.. well wouldn't you know as soon as I started cutting it.. an order came in from my website.. which was a Made To Order item.. soooo... I stopped cutting my new ornament design.. and started making the clock that was ordered.. This morning I have the clock cut out along with about 6-8 other clocks.. I like to make clocks in batches so I'm drilling the recessed holes for the inserts all at the same drill press set-up.  after I get done with my lunch break.. I'm going back out to drill those holes and then make up a batch of clock bases and then mount the bases to the clocks and then dip in Danish oil... then I'll get back to my ornament cutting... provided no other orders that needs making comes in, LOL  

I have a ton of projects started and more in the pipeline. But when getting ready for shows I lay out the work or projects and try to do all the cutting and then do all the sanding and then do all the finishing and then do all the assembling so I like to work in stages. After that it is a crap shoot as to what I work on next. Usually some pen turning and blank making ideas. Try to keep busy. That is my story and I am sticking to it. 

39 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have a ton of projects started and more in the pipeline. But when getting ready for shows I lay out the work or projects and try to do all the cutting and then do all the sanding and then do all the finishing and then do all the assembling so I like to work in stages. After that it is a crap shoot as to what I work on next. Usually some pen turning and blank making ideas. Try to keep busy. That is my story and I am sticking to it. 

I'm just a 'hobby' cutter, at least you have a reason to do it the way you do,  me?  I have the attention span of a gnat.  😃

2 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

I normally have multiple projects going on . I'll take a rest from one or get another order for something and that adds to the list. 

I'm never likely to 'have an order' so perhaps I'm ok just 'flitting'  🤔

Edited by Foxfold

I like to finish them. i can get 3 going at once as I have that many workstations. 

That of course does not man that I dont lose interest in pieces halfway through. 

My main problem is I will underestimate the difficulty and number of cuts and they halfway into it and just get sick of it. I will set it aside and start something i can get some quicker satisfaction out of. 

I will eventually get back to those pieces, just might take some time and of course they are now hogging up valuable bench space so I need to address them. 

When I started I did the exact same thing - I've only been scrolling less than a year now, but I've learned that having multiple projects are sometimes ok.

For example:

I may start and cut one of my puzzle projects, but not get to apply the finish for months

I've started a few plates with a lot of fretwork, and leave them when I get bored with the holes and small cuts and move on to a silhouette so I have a finished cut piece.

I often have 4 or more projects waiting for either a pre-stain/stain, dye or more often than not a frame.

I like making my own frames and often I'll line up 4 or more cut projects and leave the cutting until I've made a bunch of frames

So basically you're not alone LOL

I do not flit I suffer from ADWW ( Attention Deficit Wood Worker) I kind of will work on one thing lose interest then move to something else etc. Actually can finish three different things on the same day but may have started them all 2 weeks before. What can I say it works for me. Also will work in orders should they come along but then can focus since I will get paid so I can continue my hobby.  I have tried many remedies but none seem to work well, chewing on tooth picks helps some. 

22 hours ago, John B said:

I always seem to have about a half dozen things on the go. I'll start another while waiting for glue to go off, or for the lacquer or flocking to dry. And then thee's the shelf with all the great ideas, that are just waiting for another idea to come along to correct the 1st idea ;)

12 times zones away and I the same thing.  Various projects in various stages of completion.