2019 Stretching

Sycamore67

This last year, I went way outside my comfort zone and decided to build the rocker that I posted.  My goal for 2019 is to and stretch to make something with my scroll saw that is more difficult and a learning experience. It may take time to find a suitable project but I will find one.  It may take a long time to make it successfully but I want something to learn from. I have started looking thru projects to find the right one for me.  It will not be fret work and likely something with gears...

I know that several people on here make things to sell so a lot of repeat and production type work.  But, does anyone have a project in mind for themselves that will stretch their capabilities?

Well there is always a hand crank street organ.. The project that stretched me the most, but worth all the work.  You could incorporate lots of scroll work in the case, I did a little on the back of mine, it was built before I really got into scrolling, if I made another, it would have a lot more scrolling on it. 

There are also lots of beautiful wooden gear clocks or sculptures.  I've been real tempted to do the Humming bird one, but the plans are $100.  Too expensive for me right now, but it certainly would be a challenge. 

http://www.derekhugger.com/colibri.html

These are for you to think about, personally, with some of the things in my life lately,,,, I want less stress, so mine will be simple things.  I want to work on things like some nice Christmas ornamentals to give to family and friends next season. I have a few more difficult things in mind I'd like to try for me and my ego, but at this point in my life, and the stressful environment of things, I want to just relax, keep it simple and give where I can.  This may all change,,,,,,, I do like a challenging project and the heck with the family and friends....😋

Edited by Scrappile

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Well there is always a hand crank street organ.. The project that stretched me the most, but worth all the work.  You could incorporate lots of scroll work in the case, I did a little on the back of mine, it was built before I really got into scrolling, if I made another, it would have a lot more scrolling on it. 

There are also lots of beautiful wooden gear clocks or sculptures.  I've been real tempted to do the Humming bird one, but the plans are $100.  Too expensive for me right now, but it certainly would be a challenge. 

Wow! Thanks for posting this Paul. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Poetry in motion for sure.

Edited by octoolguy

19 minutes ago, bandaideman said:

Dirk Boehlman's  locomotive clock with all the bells lights and whistles

Ha, you got my attention!!  I have looked at that clock for a couple years, thinking how great it would be hanging in my grandson's bedroom!  I know it would drive his parents crazy!  Please to it!!

30 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Ha, you got my attention!!  I have looked at that clock for a couple years, thinking how great it would be hanging in my grandson's bedroom!  I know it would drive his parents crazy!  Please to it!!

you can not get the working lights and whistle parts any more. I had this pattern and lost it but reordered a week ago when I was looking for trains. My project is to make one of the train models. Got  a number of plans so I will sort through them and maybe tweak them abit or combine something. 

Well, mine isn't going to be anything with scroll sawing.. well maybe it is in a round about way... I want to get better at the pattern making part.. and since I'm getting a CNC router and a laser... I know very little about the design work for these.. hope to learn on the software they use for these machines.. but this would also be able to be printed out and used as a pattern too.. at any rate... design work is what I intend to learn this year.. I already do a little.. but need much more practice.. Hope to add a whole lot of new designs to my store for next year...

I've got a new pyrography machine and I'd like to be able to do 'nice' pieces for myself and friends, so I intend practicing lots over the holidays. 🙂 Although perhaps this forum, being dedicated to 'woodwork' and 'making' things isn't the place to be with this hobby

I may have to look see if there's a 'friendly' forum for 'burning' although I can't see that anywhere is going to be as good as this place 😞 

It's long been a dream of mine to eventually cut one of the great clock patterns, such as the Dome Clock, or the Chimes of Normandy Clock or the Shopiere CLock.  To me, those represent the pinnacle of scrolling skill and ability.  When I first joined my scroll saw club, projects like this were the staple of the founding members.  I was so intimidated by the projects these master scrollers brought to the brag table each month that I didn't bring anything of mine to show for a very long time.  To this day, nothing I've made is on that level, but I know I have the ability to do it.  A couple things hold me back.  One is time.  Still working full time and have too many other projects in the queue.  The other is a practical consideration.  What would I do with it?  Neither I nor anyone in my family has room to display such a piece.  It remains a dream for me and perhaps will always be so.

Bill displaying those projects is always a huge concern. Not only the room it takes up, but the dust collecting, and becomes more fragile with time because glue will break down from wood movement. Remember the parts used are not thick. Mostly end grain gluing too. Need to incorporate some stronger gluing techniques at least I believe that do not get mentioned in those plans. When many of those dome clocks and huge clock plans were coming out many people scaled them back and made smaller versions. Maybe an idea if you choose to do any. Good luck.

Here is the first scroll saw project I did.  Not showing is the pedestal that it is mounted on.  6 1/2 feet total height.  7 months from start to finish, but because of an eye problem, I can only cut for about 3 hours per day.

No matter how complex a pattern you choose, you just cut one piece at a time, same as you have been doing in the past. 

jerry

Clock1.JPG

17 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

Here is the first scroll saw project I did.  Not showing is the pedestal that it is mounted on.  6 1/2 feet total height.  7 months from start to finish, but because of an eye problem, I can only cut for about 3 hours per day.

No matter how complex a pattern you choose, you just cut one piece at a time, same as you have been doing in the past. 

jerry

Clock1.JPG

Now that's what I'm talking about!  :thumbs:

On 12/18/2018 at 4:41 PM, bandaideman said:

Dirk Boehlman's  locomotive clock with all the bells lights and whistles

I went looking for a picture of this piece but had no luck. Anybody have a picture? I love trains.

I think I found it. Is it the train depot clock? I love it. Gotta put that on my list.

Edited by octoolguy

30 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I went looking for a picture of this piece but had no luck. Anybody have a picture? I love trains.

I think I found it. Is it the train depot clock? I love it. Gotta put that on my list.

Yes, and just to make sure we are talking the same thing here is the link to it.

http://theartfactory.com/product/train-depot-clock/

Use to be it had a component package that made the lights flash, train whistle, chugging sound.  Mr. Boehlman's wife put the components together and sometimes you had to wait a couple weeks extra to get it. The package also included the clock movement if I remember correctly.  I wish I had followed through and got it all when available... hot darn! You snooze you lose....

Edited by Scrappile

I guess my project for 2019 is to get myself back in the shop. I have been out of the shop for some time now, and my granddaughter seems to think it's past time to get back to what I am kinda sorta ok at. I have a project in the works, and was just commissioned to create an Urn for a good friend of ours. 

My health is starting to level out, as well as it is going to, I reckon. I still have several limitations, but have tall expectations. I have to say, whether it is taken to heart or left at a stand still, is ok too, but, SSV has kept me going this past year. I appreciate the allowance of being able to be involved with the posts and subjects posted, although inactive in the shop. And, a couple of us have locked horns, and my sincere apologies, but I am who I am.

As I have posted earlier, one of our granddaughter's and her two children have recently moved in with my bride and I. She is very excited about learning the scroll saw and woodworking! Her name is Desirea. She has been after me to get the dust cleaned out of the shop, and ALL the tools shined up she says;), and get things going again!:) 

While I am postin', my bride had full knee replacement surgery yesterday. The surgery went well, and she is doing fine.:) I brought her home from the hospital today! She is happily camped in her Laz-y-boy recliner watchin' her favorite show "Survivor" this evening.;)

Sawdust703(Brad)

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Yes, and just to make sure we are talking the same thing here is the link to it.

http://theartfactory.com/product/train-depot-clock/

Use to be it had a component package that made the lights flash, train whistle, chugging sound.  Mr. Boehlman's wife put the components together and sometimes you had to wait a couple weeks extra to get it. The package also included the clock movement if I remember correctly.  I wish I had followed through and got it all when available... hot darn! You snooze you lose....

If that is the one Ray if you scroll to the left of that page you will see a listing for component packages and click to find the train and you will see that package is not available any more. Still makes a nice clock. I think I am going to only use the upper half and see what I can do with it.