This one took me awhile

heppnerguy

4 hours ago, rdatelle said:

WoW Dick, that is amazing. I would love to do something like that but I don't think I'm brave enough yet.

You can do it.. it just takes a little more time to do then most items. Just take it slow and easy and you will find it quite satisfying when you are finished. At least that is how it works for me. Push that envelop

Dick

heppnerguy

16 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

That is totally incredible Dick! Awesome job Dick! Could a person stack cut the pieces and make more than one?

I was thinking the same thing Dave. It would be a sin just to make one, especially if the wood is thin enough. Looks like 1/8 or 1/4 inch stock. I would think you could do at least two at a time and maybe three. 

On 3/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, heppnerguy said:

This is a clock like I made for my wife about 4 years ago and my grandson's fiancé told me that since they have been living in their own houses for a few years and have everything they need, they are not asking for wedding gifts, However, she did mention to my grandson that she would like one of Grandpa's clocks. (  This is the one she was talking about ) so I made them one. I have been working on it for about a month, due to all the company we have had and finally finished  it yesterday, as everyone has left for about 10 days. I have two bells coming for the bell tower and then I will be completely finished. It has several coats of finish on it and in May we will be taking it to Oregon for the wedding. This is the most challenging piece I have ever made, along with the Eiffel Tower I made a few months back.

Dick

heppnerguy

wedding clock.PNG

Dick, who's pattern is that. I might give it a try. Do they tell you where you can buy the bells for it. What did you finish it with.

10 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Dick, who's pattern is that. I might give it a try. Do they tell you where you can buy the bells for it. What did you finish it with.

🤨Dick seem to be at a loss for words.  But, I know were you can get it, because looking through my stash of patterns yesterday, I came across it.  Didn't remember I had it...

https://www.scrollsaw.com/collections/clocks-for-the-scroll-saw-sure-to-become-a-family-heirloom/products/bell-clock-tower-advanced-scroll-saw-pattern

22 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

That is totally incredible Dick! Awesome job Dick! Could a person stack cut the pieces and make more than one?

I suppose one could stack cut. But the pattern has a lot of mandatory stack cutting already. Most piece are  required to make 4 of them. That sort of leaves stack cutting out for my. I would not want to stack cut 8 at a time. Not something as delicate as this one is.

Dick

heppnerguy 

5 hours ago, rdatelle said:

I was thinking the same thing Dave. It would be a sin just to make one, especially if the wood is thin enough. Looks like 1/8 or 1/4 inch stock. I would think you could do at least two at a time and maybe three. 

If you saw my reply to Dave Monk, you can see why I do not think one could make two at a time. 

Dick

heppnerguy

5 hours ago, rdatelle said:

9 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Hi Dick, Can you tell me where you got the bells for the tower. I don't see anywhere in the pattern where is says what type bells to use and how to attach them. Thanks, Ralph.

Locating the bells was a big problem for me. You might try ebay or Amazon. I had no luck there but I am not a very good internet browser. My daughter had a couple of bells that I am going to try and use as soon as I get them. I thought of pet stores with bells for parakeets but the pet store where I live did not have them. I also tried the craft stores with not luck and the same goes for the Dollar Tree. Just because I could not find them does not mean they are not available because I have seen them hanging about three others that someone else posted. on the first one I made, several years ago. I had the same problem so I just made it without them. No one seems to notice as they are drawn to the fret work instead. 

The last 2 pieces you put on the sides at the top of the clock is where the bells go. If you are using bells, then do not glue the the triangle pieces in place until you have the bells fastened to them. VERY IMPORTANT.  you drill a hole in that little square floor of those two top/side pieces and tie the bell to it and then the bells will be hanging in the bell tower below. That is when you glue the last piece in place.  Good Luck

Dick

heppnerguy 

16 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

Locating the bells was a big problem for me. You might try ebay or Amazon. I had no luck there but I am not a very good internet browser. My daughter had a couple of bells that I am going to try and use as soon as I get them. I thought of pet stores with bells for parakeets but the pet store where I live did not have them. I also tried the craft stores with not luck and the same goes for the Dollar Tree. Just because I could not find them does not mean they are not available because I have seen them hanging about three others that someone else posted. on the first one I made, several years ago. I had the same problem so I just made it without them. No one seems to notice as they are drawn to the fret work instead. 

The last 2 pieces you put on the sides at the top of the clock is where the bells go. If you are using bells, then do not glue the the triangle pieces in place until you have the bells fastened to them. VERY IMPORTANT.  you drill a hole in that little square floor of those two top/side pieces and tie the bell to it and then the bells will be hanging in the bell tower below. That is when you glue the last piece in place.  Good Luck

Dick

heppnerguy 

Thanks Dick for the tips. I printed out the pattern and looking at it, I'm a little confused on how to cut some of the pieces. The bottom floor part G shows the outside line where to cut but then it also says on the inner part of the pattern to cut on these lines for the spacer Y. Do I have to make two patterns of that piece and cut the big part first and then cut the inner part. Also the fancy fret work pattern W for the front and back that says cut design in front only. Confusing. I don't know how you figured all this out. I tried to blow up the picture a little bigger but I couldn't do it. I'm stuck already and I haven't even started. LOL.

11 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

fun idea. I will put your link in my favorites list. Might use the idea on another project. Thanks for the suggestion

Dick

heppnerguy

16 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Very nice clock Dick!  That for sure will be a heirloom. I think fretwork clocks are so cool looking. Plus, they are a lot of fun to make aren't they. 

most of the fret clocks are fun to make. this one Is a little more time consuming then I really like to take for most of my cuttings. I do like it though. It draws a lot of amazement from people when they first see it.

Dick 

heppnerguy

16 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Thanks Dick for the tips. I printed out the pattern and looking at it, I'm a little confused on how to cut some of the pieces. The bottom floor part G shows the outside line where to cut but then it also says on the inner part of the pattern to cut on these lines for the spacer Y. Do I have to make two patterns of that piece and cut the big part first and then cut the inner part. Also the fancy fret work pattern W for the front and back that says cut design in front only. Confusing. I don't know how you figured all this out. I tried to blow up the picture a little bigger but I couldn't do it. I'm stuck already and I haven't even started. LOL.

the opposite front and back have the same exact measurements. but the back piece only need the outline of it cut as it is not seen when looking at the finished project. it is a waste of time to scroll that back of the clock as the back is quite plane and not worth looking at. Sort of like the back of a television set, if you understand my drift.

on your first question..... yes it is a pattern within a pattern. I started by cutting the front, back and sides of the bottom part of the clock. then I cut the bottom floor and assembled it. it sort of become more understandable after that. I found I was printing some of the pattern pages more then once as I went along.  

I hope that helps

Dick

heppnerguy