Critters_Challenge.jpg

Spring is in the air and our furry little friends are coming out to play.  This month's challenge is all about the critters in our lives.  Share a project of bunnies, puppies, and anything else that make you saw "awww."  Post your animal projects below.  When you do, please tell us a little something about it.  While we love seeing your handiwork, it's the backstory that makes it special. 

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

9 hours ago, oldhudson said:

I'll jump in. This project is a grasshopper pull toy I made several years ago. It was a big hit with the kids that got it. Primarily, it was a bandsaw - drill press  project. The wheels cut with a hole saw. The axles, 1/4" dowel stock. The joints for the legs, eyes and ends of the antennas were all from a craft store. The antennas themselves were electrical wire left at the garage when we purchased the house 32 years ago.  The concept was from a woodworker on another site.

I'm sure there will be some great items from the intarsia, segmentation folks.

Grasshopper_0962.jpg

sure is a cute little guy. I bet they would sell at a craft show. Very well done

Dick

heppnerguy

8 hours ago, Foxfold said:

I did this, ..  I lost my mare a couple of years back and I've never quite got over it. This piece reminded me of her so I cut it.  She roamed free in the garden and was a sweet thing and absolutely loved playing with my grandchildren and my puppies, I'll never forget her. 

HorseDrinkingSmall2.jpg

Nicely done, Brenda. One can really get close to their animals. My daughter and granddaughters all have horses and have almost all their lives. I have one young granddaughter that buy, trains and sell horses all the time. She does really well with it and probably has no idea how many horses she has owned. 

Dick

heppnerguy

12 hours ago, oldhudson said:

I'll jump in. This project is a grasshopper pull toy I made several years ago. It was a big hit with the kids that got it. Primarily, it was a bandsaw - drill press  project. The wheels cut with a hole saw. The axles, 1/4" dowel stock. The joints for the legs, eyes and ends of the antennas were all from a craft store. The antennas themselves were electrical wire left at the garage when we purchased the house 32 years ago.  The concept was from a woodworker on another site.

I'm sure there will be some great items from the intarsia, segmentation folks.

Grasshopper_0962.jpg

Love the grasshopper  I bet the kids had a ball.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Dang, some really neat stuff here.  I don't have much in the line of critters.  I have made my grandson a couple wood trucks, not critters.  I did make him this dragon, he likes dragons.  It is called the Time Keeper or something and was suppose to hold a clock, but for some reason I pictured him hold a crystal ball.

dragon 1.jpg

Dragons look much better holding crystal balls.  :)

Check out Steve Good's site, he has a "Dragon Pendant" pattern that's just AWESOME as-is, or even cooler when enlarged.

20190323_155117.jpg

13 hours ago, John B said:

A selection from my toy making days.
I used to see yellow, my hair would be yellow, my clothes everything was yellow when I made the ducks. Besides the ull alongs like in the photo I used to make flappers that had a handle that you'd push and their feet, made out of vinyl would flap on the ground. I'd do dozens at a time as I just couldn't keep up with them. From memory they sold for about $20 each.
All the googly eyes are recessed and superglued in place

DSCF1501.JPG

DSCF1514.JPG

DSCF1515.JPG

Elephant pull-a-longs Oct 2009 003 sml.jpg

Puzzle 3D Chook eyes 01.jpg

Puzzle 3D Group 02.jpg

Puzzles 05-06-2010 002.jpg

Puzzles 05-06-2010 004 sml.jpg

Puzzles Sept 2009 004 sml.jpg

Puzzles Sept 2009 009 sml.jpg

Wow John they are beautiful...

12 hours ago, John B said:

@innar20Beautiful cuttings. I like them all, but the raccoons really look like they are up to no good .
The eagle is a real ripper.

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@John B that eagle is a free Steve Good Pattern, go here and search "flying eagle" . https://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php

And the raccoons are in the pattern library here in the Village. It is “raccon2” (note the typo in raccoon if searching)

Edited by meflick