3M-77 Spray Adhesive

kmmcrafts

I was just at my local Sam's club and seen they have a 2 pack cans of the spray for ( I think it was ) $8.** probably rounded up to $9.. I'm not sure what the stuff cost as I don't buy it very often.. Think the last can I bought was around $12 and that was some years ago.. I thought 2 cans for less than the price I bought one can for 5+ years ago probably wasn't bad priced?

Anyway.. Just thought maybe someone might find this useful..

Personally, I find that 3M77 to sticky, it's to hard to remove the pattern after cutting the project out. And that's even with using, paint thinner or any other item to help remove the pattern. I prefer to use Elmer's brand of glue, I pay around $8.00 per can if not on sale. I can remove the pattern much easier when I use Elmer's spray glue, usually, I can remove the pattern without any paint remover or anything else.

Len

I absconded with my wife's can of Elmer's spray glue. I like it. A nice small can that is easy to hold and operate. The tip hasn't clogged on my and so far it has stuck very well. I use a heat gun to remove patterns. A wipe of MS cleans off any remnants of glue. I've not priced it because I still have some left. It seems to last a very long time.

7 hours ago, BadBob said:

I use 3M77 and keep my tips in mineral spirits. It keeps then clean and unclogged without any spiting. If the one I'm using gets gummed up I install a another clean one. I like 3M77 because it sticks and stays stuck.   I get mine from amazon $9.98 for 16.75oz can.

I agree

20 hours ago, BadBob said:

I use 3M77 and keep my tips in mineral spirits. It keeps then clean and unclogged without any spiting. If the one I'm using gets gummed up I install a another clean one. I like 3M77 because it sticks and stays stuck.   I get mine from amazon $9.98 for 16.75oz can.

I do the same but I did run across 1 can that would spray nothing but liquid !  The price that you quoted is the very same price I pay at both Walmart and Lowe's here in NM. I have tried other lower priced adhesives but always return to the tried and true!

Erv 

Two 16.75 oz cans of Super 77 for around $10.00 in my neck of the woods would be a very great deal.   I too have tried some of the other brands but keep coming back to 77.   I found with some other brands I had issues with pattern lifting especially with very detailed fretwork.   I haven't tried 45 so I can't comment on it. 

I don't use a lot of these sprays as 99% of my patterns are printed on self adhesive full sheet shipping labels.. BUT.. what little I do use I still probably go through a couple cans of the spray a year..

I have used several "different" ( I say different meaning other than the 3M77) .. I've found that none of them work as well as the 3M77.. BUT you can get decent results from the others and what I've learned is.. IF I spray the pattern about two times the amount of spray I'd use with the 3M77 they all seem to work well enough.. But with the 3M77.. seems to last 2-3 times longer per can than the others.. 

The 3M77 does however sometimes spit the spray out in an uneven spray pattern where the others seem to do a nice even spray mist..

I've used the Elmer brand.. That was one of the ones that I had to lay it on quite heavy otherwise I'd get lifting.. My last can was Grizzly glue brand big orange can.. I think it was a little better than the elmer brand but not by a whole lot.. The can I have now is the 3M45... which also has a nice spray mist... does seem to stick well... I've gotten used to the fine spray mist of the other brands I tend to spray a little on the "heavy" side with those type sprays.. so I'm probably using more than I need to with this can.. 

You do get much better results with ANY of these brands IF you shake the crap out of them to get them mixed well..

Doing my research before I first started scrolling I noticed that most - or at least a lot - of people were using 77.  And so that's what I'm using.  I will start soaking the nozzle in MS like other people have mentioned because I've noticed a buildup on it and have seen some spitting.  I have started spraying the wood instead of the pattern.  I found that all I have to do is touch the "spit" with a screwdriver and it goes away.

BTW... the big can costs over $16.00 here in my part of Canada.

/Oscar