A silly but a NEED to know question

OCtoolguy

I know this may sound silly but I have got to fill a couple of spots on my project with glue and walnut fine dust. I never can seem to get the mix correct. I always get too much glue and it is obvious when I go to finish. Can anybody give me some idea of how you make your filler? I've got lots of dust and a few different types of blue. What do most all of you use and at what ratio? Please, I know it's silly but I don't want to screw this up.

Edited by octoolguy

Not really answering the question... and I've only done the dust / glue mix a couple times.. but I can say I've not had all that good of luck with the finish afterwards.. I've tried different mixture ratios.. and one time I didn't get enough glue and the spot didn't stick well.. I'm thinking that the glue used itself is probably more important than the ratio of the mix.. I've read in the past about over the counter products that work well with finishes.. I'd be more apt to check into this or a better type of glue to use.. As you can tell... I don't have much experience with this LOL..

51 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Not really answering the question... and I've only done the dust / glue mix a couple times.. but I can say I've not had all that good of luck with the finish afterwards.. I've tried different mixture ratios.. and one time I didn't get enough glue and the spot didn't stick well.. I'm thinking that the glue used itself is probably more important than the ratio of the mix.. I've read in the past about over the counter products that work well with finishes.. I'd be more apt to check into this or a better type of glue to use.. As you can tell... I don't have much experience with this LOL..

Thanks Kevin. I tend to agree with you. I've tried many different wood fillers over the years with less than stellar results. I may try to cut a tiny piece and glue it in. It was a stupid mistake but I'm trying to save the piece. If it doesn't work I'll just have to buy more wood and make a new one. Unfortunately it's the top and in a most visible place. 

I haven’t had to do it often, but when I do, this is how I do it if the project allows. I actually fill the void with Aleen’s tacky glue then sand the area with sand paper or my Random orbital sander until the void disappears. The sanding dust from the sanding operation settles on top of the glue so you have real wood filling the void.This works very well if the project allows you to sand.

Edited by dgman

51 minutes ago, Ctutor said:

you might try mixing it with lacquer or ca glue.I used to use lacquer stick when refinishing cabinets.  the stuff is in sticks that you light and drop into the dnet. It sands great and does not show when sanded. 

Where do you find those? I can see where that might be just what I need.

47 minutes ago, dgman said:

I haven’t had to do it often, but when I do, this is how I do it if the project allows. I actually fill the void with Aleen’s tacky glue then sand the area with sand paper or my Random orbital sander until the void disappears. The sanding dust from the sanding operation settles on top of the glue so you have real wood filling the void.This works very well if the project allows you to sand.

Thanks Dan, that was sort of what I was thinking about doing and I've got a brand new bottle of Aleene's tacky glue.

I use these wax sticks and have done most my woodwork using them and you can not find the nail holes. At times I may have to blend a couple colors together. They work great. All home centers have them made by minwax. Also have used their puty and that too works well. If you use the putty just get a color close to what you want and before it dries sand some dust in it. Again all the tricks to finishing. 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=KVTtfKkr&id=83D99A84048260AD0B5613596780C17C25773633&thid=OIP.KVTtfKkrxBIEnEocH2SlyQHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fcdn.paintsupply.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f06%2f027426110069.jpg&exph=700&expw=700&q=minwax+fill+color+sticks&simid=608046791690619785&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

14 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I know this may sound silly but I have got to fill a couple of spots on my project with glue and walnut fine dust. I never can seem to get the mix correct. I always get too much glue and it is obvious when I go to finish. Can anybody give me some idea of how you make your filler? I've got lots of dust and a few different types of blue. What do most all of you use and at what ratio? Please, I know it's silly but I don't want to screw this up.

I use a translucent wood glue and sawdust all the time.  When I mix it I try for  a silly putty consistency.  Basically if you can see the "glint" of the glue, add saw dust.

For small holes or blemishes I will use a wax stick to fill the hole after the final finish coat has been applied - very difficult to find afterwards.

For larger issues I'll use a coloured filler that will take a stain - then - once stained I'll touch it up with permanent markers to get it to blend with the surrounding wood - then apply your clear finishing coats.

Jay 

Thanks to all. I have solved my problem using all the help and info gleaned from here. SSV is the best. To solve the problem at hand, I cut a couple of tiny pieces of walnut to fit the holes that I had to deal with and plugged the holes. The two cracks that were formed by joining the two pieces of walnut were filled, as suggested, with Titebond II and sanding dust. So far so good. I'll not know how it all works out until I dip the whole thing in Watco's oil. Keeping my fingers crossed.