Newbie Tips - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

NewbieTips.png

Our last scroll saw challenge, it was fun to see where we started and where we are now.  It was a great reminder that we were all newbies once-upon-a-time.  Anytime we start a new hobby, it is super easy to get overwhelmed and we don't know where to begin.  So, this month's challenge is about helping our new friends get into the hobby of scroll sawing. 

What did you you wish you knew when you were getting started?  It can be a tip, a recommendation, a guide, reference, videos, inspirational story, or whatever.  This is for folks who are new to scrolling.  So be as descriptive and helpful as you can.  Bonus points for illustrations/pictures....double extra points for a video demonstrating what you're talking about.

I wish I would have known that some/allot of wood is toxic and can actually harm you.  I also wish I knew that Baltic Birch/plywood has some nasty glue/chemicals that is harmful to your health.

I always thought you just wore a mask if you were allergic to the wood.  I hated those dusk masks as it always fogged up my glassed.  I had no idea some woods were actually harmful and no clue plywood was harmful.  When I signed up to this site a little over a year ago is when I learned of all these cool colors of natural wood people were using in their intarsia.  So naturally I couldn't wait to try some out.  Luckily I didn't work with too nasty, but wish I knew about the dangers before cutting that wood.

Now I wear a respirator when doing any work.  Just wish I knew how important it was sooner.

After posting this in another thread, I realized this is perhaps one of the best things I learned here in this forum, so thank you to you all for the support and help you've given me...

Tip #1 n reference to cutting on or off the line...

My goal is always to tread the line.

However, usually I'm the only one who can tell if I missed.

So, my suggestion...

Do your best with the line and don't sweat the small stuff.

In the end, it's all small stuff ;)

Tip #2 I wish I found this site sooner! Spend as much time as you can on this site and don't be afraid to ask questions. The people here are perhaps the most welcoming, friendly and helpful I've ever encountered on any forum website!

Tip #3 If this is a hobby, treat it as such. It can be an expensive hobby if you let it get out of control. Buy things you need (tools, wood, accessories) as you need them instead of all at once. And most of all... HAVE FUN!

A good, comfy chair makes long scrolling sessions easier.

A good magnifying lamp makes seeing the pattern and blade so much easier.

The thinner the wood, the thinner the blade and lower the blade speed.  Thicker wood = larger blade = higher speed.

Spirals can be fun!

There's absolutely no rush. 

Love the sound of a blade running through wood!!!

Every project, no matter how daunting it seems, is nothing more than one-hole-one-cut.  Some merely have more holes than others.

NEVER end a cut on the tip of a delicate piece unless you're willing to risk losing that piece.

Edited by RabidAlien

Start with easy patterns and see how fast you improve, take it slow and enjoy your progress.

Understand that the reason the blades wants to go to the right of the line is because they are sharpened on the right end side only.

More tension is always top priority.

Must wear good face mask, protect your lungs, have a good ventilation system in your shop.

When I started scrolling, I had no idea where to buy blades.  I was buying them at the local hardware store and paying  about $6/dozen, which was even more expensive 25+ years ago, than it is now.  Subsequently, I tended to push blades well past their useful lifespan.  The blade either snapped, or generated so much smoke, I couldn't see the line.  It was a revelation to me, when I joined a scroll saw club and discovered mail order and internet sources for blades at half the price and 10 times the selection.

I would have liked to know more about picking out a good saw to start with.  I purchased a saw from Lowes and took it home and tried to use it, what a piece of junk, took it back.  I had sent Steve Good an email about scroll saws and he recommended the DeWalt 788, so I purchased one of those and that has turned out to be a good decision.  It would have been nice to have a better understanding of blades.  I began using the blades from Lowes, not the best quality, but they got me going, since I have purchased the Pegas scroll saw blades, the are a whole lot better quality, and much sharper (http://www.scrollsawbladespatterns.com/pegasblades.htm).  You have to be more careful using a sharper blades as it is so easy to cut into the wrong area of the pattern, and that is another thing I wish I understood more, blade control or controlling the piece of wood.  You should also know that cutting thinner wood the blade cuts easier and so controlling the piece is crucial.  As some of your blades become less sharp as you are cutting lets say 1/2" or 3/4" you can use those to cut 1/4" or 1/8".  Another thing I wish I knew was more about blade tension, not using the right tension can cause your blades to break, nothing like when you break a blade.  I have only been scrolling myself for two years now, getting better at and still learning.  The biggest thing is to get started and as Steve Good will tell you go make some sawdust.  The Scrollsaw Village website is filled with resources so use them and have fun.

I don't know if I qualify as I started in Oct last year, but I was handed a scroll saw, some blades and was told I know this works. No idea how old the saw was, or even how to operate it. I had to learn blade changes, which blades to use and for what. I found a great community site (this one) and expanded my horizons. Like many above me, I went local for blades and bought just about every blade in town. I took the advice of many of slowing down when cutting, good lighting, comfort when scrolling, or in my case, as comfortable as I can be. I have the first item I made sitting in the living room so I can always look at how far I have made it in a short time. I upgraded my saw and while it was a gamble in what I bought, it worked out great and I love this saw. I am still learning what works for me. There are a lot of knowledgeable strollers that have done it for a combined one million years, but everybody works a scroll saw differently. 

After about five months, I ran into someone that I associate with at work while getting supplies at Lowes. Turns out, she just bought a scroll saw and is trying to learn the craft. I offered what I could for a brand new person. As we perform our duties and we have a chance, I talk with her to see how she is doing and offering advice for her to overcome her challenges. I am trying to pass on what I have learned from both conversation and actually figuring it out on my own. 

Hendo

I wish I knew about Steve Good sooner. When I started 3 years ago I didn't know what a scroll saw was let alone how to use it. If I were to tell anyone if you get a saw learn everything about that saw, how it is put together, what parts move and how to keep it all greased up. It will save you alot of time trying to troubleshoot an issue or noise. Another thing is I wish I found out about Pegas blades long before I messed around with the Big Box Olsen blades.....what crummy cutting I did.....lol. I love spirals and wish people would try them out to see if they like them, I am a weird one and use both flat and spirals. And most importantly never give up, the first one might look like you cut with your eyes closed, but if you cut that same pattern 20 times, the 21 will look perfect.....or good enough by most standards.....I hope to help bring the love of this type of woodworking to young kids and hopefully make it enjoyable for them to take up.

3 minutes ago, Miter Mike said:

I wish I knew about Steve Good sooner. When I started 3 years ago I didn't know what a scroll saw was let alone how to use it. If I were to tell anyone if you get a saw learn everything about that saw, how it is put together, what parts move and how to keep it all greased up. It will save you alot of time trying to troubleshoot an issue or noise. Another thing is I wish I found out about Pegas blades long before I messed around with the Big Box Olsen blades.....what crummy cutting I did.....lol. I love spirals and wish people would try them out to see if they like them, I am a weird one and use both flat and spirals. And most importantly never give up, the first one might look like you cut with your eyes closed, but if you cut that same pattern 20 times, the 21 will look perfect.....or good enough by most standards.....I hope to help bring the love of this type of woodworking to young kids and hopefully make it enjoyable for them to take up.

@Miter Mike, That is one that I haven't explored yet. I can't get onto his websites while at work and when I am home, it is walk in, chores, make sawdust, eat, and then sleep. Next day, wash, rinse and repeat. 

46 minutes ago, Fedido said:

@Miter Mike, That is one that I haven't explored yet. I can't get onto his websites while at work and when I am home, it is walk in, chores, make sawdust, eat, and then sleep. Next day, wash, rinse and repeat. 

Chisel out some time, you will NOT be disappointed.  Or, scrape together about 2 minutes, hit his site, and sign up for his newsletter.  Nifty tips and a (FREE!!!) pattern every day.  So even if you can't get to his site, you can still view the pattern on a cellphone or a quick email check after work.  You may not end up cutting every pattern he sends, but I guarantee you you'll find some that tickle your fancy and maybe lead you to try different things.  I just cut his Heart jewelry box, and used some of his design elements to make a similar one in a yin-yang pattern....only to find out he's got one like it (with a lift-off lid, not the swing-out sides) on his site already.  LOL

I started on a cheap saw my wife bought. To her defense, it’s what I picked out. I wanted to go cheap to see if the hobby would stick.  After a few years, I bought a dewalt 788 and that changed the game all together.  Being able to feed the blade from the top, made things easier and much faster. Really started enjoying it more.  The saw didn’t vibrate as much.  I agree with everyone that you should start with small projects and learn your saw before trying something more advanced.

Patience. Patience. Patience. Slowwww down.  I still struggle with that.

When it comes time to putting a finish on your project, slow down even more. We spend so much time on our projects, why rush the finishing end. 

Experiment with different finishes.

Before applying the finish, spritz your project with mineral spirits, it will expose sanding marks that you otherwise wouldn't see.

Use a sponge moistened with mineral spirits to remove pattern.  

When stack cutting, use hot glue along the sides.

work from the center of the pattern to the outside.

I think it was Scrappile who mentioned to relax, breathe normal, and drop your shoulders.  So true it bears repeating.

Try intarsia, try inlay, try portraits, try fretwork, 

Enjoy yourself, and have fun, it is quite the rush when you finish a project and say "wow, I made that".

As a newbie, I wish I would have known about using transparent shelf liner on my wood instead of painters tape. It comes off all at once and can be cut to size and is super cheap compared to tape.

Having fun and remembering its supposed to be fun is something I had to really practice. Staring at a fretwork piece and thinking I had to rush to get it done because of so many cuts, started to take the fun out of it. Now I do a very complex piece and simple projects simultaneously. Work on fretwork for awhile,  set it aside and knock out a small project. I get the sense of accomplishment and I'm able to enjoy the 200-300 cut pieces.

Guess you can say I'm a seasoned scroller , but you never know it all and I never claimed too . Been scrolling for over thirty years , I wore out a 16" variable speed Craftsman scroll saw after using it for a good 12 years and just wore out the jaws . I decided to buy a new Dewalt model 788 verses buying new jaws for my old  Craftsman scroll saw . Glad I did , I know there's all different prices and  brands / models out there . I love my Dewalt and I can tell starting out on the Craftsman brand was a cheap try in case I decided not to  pursue the hobby . I can also offer that the scrollsaw blade I use is  flying Dutchman blades they were made in Germany - can google to buy them online . I buy my blades in bulk in grosses - there cheaper that way .I  Started out by making just the letters of the  alphabet , remember to start out with three real important things is too  practice practice practice .   I make Christmas ornaments , , name plaques and custom plaques since I'm retired now . First two years I was retired I keep the scrollsaw hot , but since then I decided to get a part time job being a  commercial delivery driver  for O'Reilly's auto parts . But being a scroller is my passion in wood , I could go on and on - but maybe I've offfered a little aid to the new scrollers out there  . My dad always wanted to woodwork but told me growing up he couldn't afford it , I did what he wanted too do . Loved my Daddy - bless his heart -  thank you and go scroll some wood Trust me you'll find it too be more than just a hobby . MD

DSC039639-21-2019NEA DISTRICT FAIR.jpg