October - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

Decided to make a Halloween lamp this year, and came up with the lamp below.  Saw where Steve Good had used a flame effect led bulb in a project and liked the idea a lot, so I got one for this project.  The flickering light from this bulb really makes the lamp interesting.

The image of the cat is downloaded from the internet.

Cut from 1/4" BB, with a frosted mylar sheet for the background.  Spray painted black.  About 6" wide and 8" high and 3" deep.

1449486759_Scarycatlamp.thumb.jpg.29d52ebca4191f209dcb051eafaf5a4b.jpg462091097_Scarycatlamplit.thumb.jpg.930332588658a486f71c951371e4051a.jpg

I don't know why the light from the bulb is yellow, in real life it is all pumpkin orange, like the color in the bats.  Guess using a phone to take pictures is iffy.

Tom

19 hours ago, Tammi201 said:

Very nice. Where did you get the patterns?  I would like to try it.

The "Pumkins" are cut from 1/2 X !2 X 12 Sanded Ply from patterns purchased from https://theholzbrothers.com/ ($3.79/downloadable).  You can get any name of letter you want.  Painted with rattel can orange and acrylic green for the stem.

The "Happy Fall Y'All" is a Steve Good  pattern.  He gives you a small and a large pattern.  I did the large approximately 12 X 11.  I used 1/4 BB for the cut and afixed to 1/2" sanded ply backer painted dark brown.  The Leaves were painted with acrylic craft paint.  Applied a multi coats of polyurethane  to make it suitable for outdoor use. 

• Travis unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Fred Buehler said:

Need some help for colors of Christmas ornaments'. Scrolled the Steve Good patterns, now wife says they need some color kids like colors..

So i could use some advise.

There are several ways to go: stains like Unicorn Spit, acrylic paints from any craft section [Hobby Lobby,  Walmart, JoAnn Fabric, Michael's, etc.]

Of course, you could go with enamel like model paints-depending on the area to be covered.