Olson vs Flying Dutchman

I've now cut with both. One thing I will say, is that I like that Olson blades are not coated with any type of oil. It annoys me to have to clean each one before I use it. I haven't really seen any "this one cuts better than that one", but then again, I'm still new to scrolling in general. I mainly use Olson #5 reverse tooth or #2 reverse tooth. I am going to be starting my first portrait cut soon now that I got some #67 drill bits, and the pin chuck from sloans, so I can do it all on my drill press.

What does everyone do about the oil on the FD blades, and which FD blade do you all use for cutting portraits in 1/4" BB ply.. #2r or #2/0R? I have some #2/0 skip reverse tooth ones. For FD, do you recommend SR or UR blades?

I have been cutting with the FD blades for over 10 years and never had to clean the clamps because of oil.

Most people like to use a spiral balde for cutting portraits. The FD-NS # 2/0 is used the most for that.

Some people tried bout the SR and the UR, some have stayed with the SR however the UR is noe my biggest seller.

Go to my web site for a lot of help. Like Selecting a Blade, Q & A and Tips and Tricks. Any questions, email me and I will be glad to help.

FD Mike

I use #3&5 SR blades for most of my cuttings. I'll also use #2 spiral blades for portraits. I use only FD. Theyve worked really well for me, so I never bothered looking at other brands. I think if you stick with the big 3, you'll be good (FD, Olson, Pegas).

Never heard of Pegas. I think it was a #1 spiral I ordered.. I can't even remember. LOL. I'm gettin old! The only thing I don't like about the oil on the FD ones are I'm afraid of getting the oil on the blade tightening knob or having some on my fingers and picking up the work piece and getting some of the oil on the bottom wood..

I don't understand about the oil on the FD b lades. I have been in both facgtories, one made the Olson blade (Haunstetter) and the factory I get my blades. Both use the same method. The blades are cut, heated and than cooled in oil to get the right hardness. There should be no reason, that one has more oil as the other. Go to my website and ckick on How Blads are Made.

FD Mike

I used both the Olson and FD blades and haven't had any problems with oil. I've read that some folks recommend wiping the ends of the blades to remove the oil, but I've never done it. I think both blades (Olson Precision Ground and FD Ultra Reverse) cut about the same, but I seem to get more mileage out of the FD. I recently started using the FD UR #1 for fret and so far I like it.

Dan

I ordered a gross from Olson before Mike, and they come dry. They don't put anything on them is all I'm saying. When I was handling the FD blades I got with the saw today, I was getting oil on my fingers. I just opened a dozen of them and wiped the ends dry is all. I've just never encountered oil on any of the blades I've used so far. But so far I've only used Olson and some from Scroller. Today was my first experience with any FD. The Olson and Scroller (no clue who makes them) both came dry.

How come that you get blades with oil. Do you read all the replies? None has problems with oil. Some one or you must have dropped them in oil. I don't like what you are saying about oil. My blades are clean, like the Olson blades. Did you read who makes the Olson blades? Scroller is a dealer of mine.

Wolfmoon, it is time to start a new post, showing some pictures or telling what you are making.

FD Mike

I don't know where the blades came from originally. They came with the saw when I bought the saw. I'm not blaming Mike saying his blades are bad or anything. I was just wondering if it was normal for FD to have some oil on them to keep them from rusting. I'm just going to drop the subject.. Post closed.

Years ago I remember someone saying they sprayed the blades with WD40 or something like that to keep them from rusting. Maybe that is the case. I do have some blades that I haven't used in years that are developing rust. I don't think I'll worry about though.

Dan

I purchased Vectors saw and all the great accessories. I just didn't want to blame anyone. I had never worked wit FD, so I didn't know is all. But the blades i have used from FD that I got with the saw from Vector I just wiped them off first, are cutting great. Infact, I did order some FD blades last week from Mike right after I had posted this thread. Can't wait for them to arrive so I can try out the spiral blades and start cutting the portrait of my niece and nephew.

Wolfmoon, you stated in your last post that you got FD blades with the saw you have. Did I miss read this or did you have the blades that you were going to use with that saw? If the blades came with the saw than it is possable that the manafacture coated the blades before shipping with the saw. I know that the Delta saw I bought 5 years ago had their brand of blades and they did have oil on them.

I have been ordering blades from Mike for about 6 years and have not had to clean any oil what so ever from them. The problem I had with blades sliping from holders on one saw I have was not from oil, but from misalined and rounded thumb screw.

It is possable I suppose, to have received a batch of blades that had a coating of oil on them as anything is possable. I am just saying, I have never received any with oil on them.

Ervin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It turns out that the FD blades were bought from a private party. The blades were originally bought in bulk, so the previous owner put some CLP on them to keep them from rusting.

I'm going to lock down this thread since the problem has been solved. No need to continue to revisit and bump this thread.

Thanks all for the feedback! :thumbs: