Candle Lantern designed by Steve Good

Frank Pellow

Seeking locking suggestions:

There is one thing that I don't like about Steve's design.  The top of the lantern does not lock to the bottom. 

1579316079_CandleLantern-Showingtopoff-small.thumb.JPG.469502d3da38c81f4d2ab50d9c6bde0a.JPG

Thus, it can not really be used as a lantern.  I tried using Velcro dots but that did not feel secure (even though, in a few tests, it was).  I have not given up and am still trying to think a something.  I welcome any suggestions.

Edited by Frank Pellow

1 hour ago, Frank Pellow said:

Seeking locking suggestions:

There is one thing that I don't like about Steve's design.  The top of the lantern does not lock to the bottom.

Thus, it can not really be used as a lantern.  I tried using Velcro dots but that did not feel secure (even though, in a few tests, it was).  I have not given up and am still trying to think a something.  I welcome any suggestions.

I would use magnets, HF has small powerful magnets about the size of a hearing aid battery. I would use two, opposite side and recess them. Put a recessed flat washer on the opposite side.

43 minutes ago, Wichman said:

I would use magnets, HF has small powerful magnets about the size of a hearing aid battery. I would use two, opposite side and recess them. Put a recessed flat washer on the opposite side.

Magnets and recessed washers is a good idea.  I will see if I can find any that are small enough.  

11 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Maybe something like this, with an insert/nut to screw into... May have to glue a tab of wood on the inside or outside of the lantern for the insert to fit in. You can get this pretty small sizes I think.

il_794xN.2661228453_nx2h.jpg

Thanks, I understand your suggestion an may give it a try.   

I'm going to try recessed magnets first and depending on how I like them, I may see if I can obtain harware along the lines of what you have suggested.

Steve has two top ornament sizes in his plans, tall and short.  Which did you make for yours?  His picture shows the tall one, I'm hoping someone makes it with the short one so I can compare... I'm thinking of making a few of these as my annual Christmas decorations I give a few relatives.... Think of adding maybe some scroll sawed holly or ribbon to the top or bottom to make it more Christmasy.  Buy the time I price the wood and candles,, I may decide the relatives aren't worth it... 😉

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Steve has two top ornament sizes in his plans, tall and short.  Which did you make for yours?  His picture shows the tall one one, I'm hoping someone makes it with the short one so I can compare... I'm thinking of making a few of these as my annual Christmas decorating I give a few relatives.... Think of adding maybe some scroll sawed holly or ribbon to the top or bottom to make it more Christmasy.  Buy the time I price the wood and candles,, I may decide the relatives aren't worth it... 

I used the short top.

That's a good idea about adding some decorations.

18 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

Steve posted a pattern for this earlier this week.

130578355_CandleLantern-small.thumb.JPG.801e3160249e98b22410ddf8af05447d.JPG

I made the "lantern"  from 6mm Baltic Birch plywood which I cut using a #3 Flying Dutchman blade.

The "candle" inside the lantern a battery powered.

I have 6 such candles and will be making 5 more lanterns.

Well done. I have yet to make one of these items and I always admire them......then what is stopping me, you ask? Not sure, is my reply.

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, Joe W. said:

This Steve Good video shows a locking mechanism what could possibly(?) be adapted to the candle base.
P.S. I made the Penny Drop and it's a fun game to play.  You can modify the rules to play a variety of ways.

Thanks Joe.

Yes, I am fairly certain that I could modify the pattern to utilize that locking mechanism.  I'm going to give it a try.

Okay Frank,,, you can think me latter, here is the answer.  🤓😆  Thought of it this morning so I drew up some formal plans...  Make a couple little "turn-key out of small dowel and 1/8" plywood or hardwood.  Drill down through the lid the size of the dowel.  Will have to glue the bottom of the key on after the dowel is inserted through the hole... The top of the key can be a design that will look good on the lateran. The key has to be able to turn.. Turn the key one way and the bottom tab is parallel to the side and the top can be lifted off, turn the key handle perpendicular to the to the side and the tab at the bottom of the key slips under lip at the top of the wall.. holding the lid on...  What do you think?

here is my formal drawing...😏😆.  When I build one,,, I am going to try something like this.

IMG_4372.JPG

33 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Okay Frank,,, you can think me latter, here is the answer.  🤓😆  Thought of it this morning so I drew up some formal plans...  Make a couple little "turn-key out of small dowel and 1/8" plywood or hardwood.  Drill down through the lid the size of the dowel.  Will have to glue the bottom of the key on after the dowel is inserted through the hole... The top of the key can be a design that will look good on the lateran. The key has to be able to turn.. Turn the key one way and the bottom tab is parallel to the side and the top can be lifted off, turn the key handle perpendicular to the to the side and the tab at the bottom of the key slips under lip at the top of the wall.. holding the lid on...  What do you think?

here is my formal drawing...😏😆.  When I build one,,, I am going to try something like this.

Congratulations on your design!

I think that should work well. As I said earlier, I am going to make at least 5 more of these and I will try your locking design on at least one of them.

2 hours ago, edward said:

Steve Posted one earlier  and that one has the bottom glued and the top open where you can insert the candle from the top I made two of them.

This one also has the bottom glued and you insert the candle from the top.  Is your point that this is quite similar to Steve's other design?  

I do like his latest design better.

Thanks to a suggestion by Wichman,  my lantern can now be picked up by the top.

1276247564_CandleLantern-Topattachedbymagnets-small.thumb.JPG.e4aebd7339acd6efce9433d55770c6e8.JPG

I screwed two 3/8 inch washers into the bottom part and glued two 3/8 inch magnets into the top. 

In, theory each magnet can lift 5 pounds.  I purchased the magnets at Lee Valley Tools.

I've now made a second lantern.  This time, I incorporated Joe W's suggestion of using  tabs and slots in order to hold the top on.

46008831_CandleLantern-Topattachedwithtabs-small.thumb.jpg.a4cc2a93cb7a6c9eb1fb47a480c971a5.jpg

The double sided arrow points to a slot in the bottom and to a tab in the top.

There are two tabs and two slots.

When making this, I increased Steve's original pattern by 5% in order to give my room to conformably fit in the circle opening.

The Tab mechanism seems to be more secure than the Magnet mechanism that I employed with the first lantern.

Edited by Frank Pellow

• 4 weeks later...