Jewelry Box

FrankEV

How do you decide on amount of work vs the wood choice?

I feel that your quality of workmanship is better than red oak material.  

Is the amount of time and effort worth getting more exotic wood?

I struggle with this decision based on project also. If it is a handle vs a fine jewelry box. Or will I need to tap threads.  Who the article is intended to go to. I have lots of these stupid concepts in my head as I start choosing next project.

1 hour ago, preprius said:

How do you decide on amount of work vs the wood choice?

I feel that your quality of workmanship is better than red oak material.  

Is the amount of time and effort worth getting more exotic wood?

I struggle with this decision based on project also. If it is a handle vs a fine jewelry box. Or will I need to tap threads.  Who the article is intended to go to. I have lots of these stupid concepts in my head as I start choosing next project.

I would love to use more exotic wood, but I can't justify the material cost as I can't gaurentee I will be able to sell it.  As is, the cost of Red Oak is outragous, but the only decent hardwood readily available at Lowes.   

I wasn't even sure about this project as the scroll work was not that spectacular.   It was only after stack cutting the box walls and base did I decide to actually complete the project.   It was more just need to do something different project to keep control over the duldrums from doing the same work all the time.

All that being said, I'm seriously considering making a fretwork clock like others are doing.  If I do, along with spending for a quality movement, I will definately spend to get nice wood.  However, it will probably not be a for sale project as my lady will want to keep for ourselves, so cost is not a consern 😍.

8 hours ago, CSull said:

Looks great and I think the hinges are a good idea. My personal preference would have been to use a dark royal blue felt.

You got to work with what you have.   My lady chose the color of the backers and the red felt went perfectly with it.  If I had just used a contrasting wood backer, a Royal Blue would be an excelent choice, but I wasn't about to go out an buy different felt when I had the red already.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a thoughtful suggestion.

1 hour ago, ben2008 said:

A really nice job Frank. Now my better half wants to know when I'll make one for her?? Thanks

I have that pattern. Just haven't gotten around to making it yet.

That's a Woodsmith pattern. 

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/scroll-sawn-jewelry-box/

Yes it is Woodsmith pattern, but in my computer file of patterns I had not labled it so I did not know where I had gotten it from.  And I had not donloaded the construction details, so other than the scroll patterns I had nothing else to go on.  The Woodmith build was a lot more complecated than what I did.

Your better half could have this one for the right price...I would ship 🙄.

47 minutes ago, meflick said:

A beautiful box and I happen to like things like that made with red oak. I am sure your wife loves it.

32 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

A very beautiful box, Frank.  I really like your explanation of the construction.  Red Oak was perfect for this one.

I only finished the Red Oak with the clear Lacquer.   The color is not very deep, but I is much richer looking in person than what is seen in the photo's.

Often when I use Red Oak for my Frames, I will deepen the color with Red Oak stain.  That improves the contrast between Frame and portrait, but in this case I prefered to just maintain the natural wood color.   

Thank you for your comments.  Much appreciated.

41 minutes ago, Jim McDonald said:

Very good cutting on this 3/4" can be a bit of a challenge, but you stepped up and hit it out of the park.

If you're having trouble deciding on hinges, Lee Valley has a huge selection of small hinges.

The box walls were 1/4" solid Red Oak with an applied backer.  Only the top and the horizontal bottom piece was 3/4".  The bottom piece I planed down to 1/2" thick and the top I rabbeted the bottom side so It appears to be 1/2" thick.  

The scroll work was squite easy.

Ordered hinges.  Should be here this week.

Thanks