using shelf liner

red river

Ever since I started scrolling , for about 2 years now, I have been using blue painters tape on my projects as a base to attatch my patterns to the wood. I then read where shelf liner might be a good alternative to this method. I read many past posts on the subject and I even watched the video by (Iggy ?) on the subject. I was just about to put on my shoes and go to Wally World to get hooked up when I read where it may not be a good idea to use this product on bb ply, as it may pull up wood fibers when taken off of the finished project. I wonder, did I read that right? What seems to be the general consensus from the users of shelf liner on bby ply. Thanks for the help.........forrest

I have used on BB and it does not pull up fibers that I can see.

One issue I have had is that it will pull up when doing tight lettering.  You have to make sure the bb is free of dust.  

I some times give the BB a quick coat of sealer (50/50 shellac / alcohol)  but I do that with painters tape too.

It saves a lot of time when doing puzzles like Iggy but I still use a lot of painters tape but the Blue stuff is getting real expensive and the $ store stuff is not as good.

I use a lot of 1/8" BBply and what I find is.. if you pre-sand the ply to get a real smooth surface it works very well IF, you don't leave the liner on the plywood for several weeks, LOL.. I typically have my projects done and peel it off within a week and never have any issues.

I had never thought of spraying a coat of sealer on as Don mentioned.. I think if sanded and sprayed you'd certainly not have any issues. 

I also find that the BBply if it gets older will absorb the moisture out of the air and if you live in a higher humidity area.. it can loosen the fibers and some start lifting on their own adding a sticky liner to it ( especially without sanding those loosened fibers off and creating a better surface then yes.. it'll lift off the fibers.. the key is to start with a good piece of ply in the first place.. I don't find the liner to come off any harder than the painters tape.. actually a lot easier because you have one full sheet on liner rather than several strips of tape..

Also I should note.. do not let the project set in the sun or higher heat spot.. It does get more sticky then and can lift fibers.. In the case you do have a issue it can help to heat it lightly with a hairdryer or heat gun to help loosen it. I did this once by mistake as a neighbor came by and distracted me and I set my project on the picnic table in the sun.. when the project was complete the liner was stuck really well, LOL. I set it in the sun for an hour or so to warm it back up and it did eventually come off much better so a hairdryer or ? to add a little warmth to it can help in those situations. 

I have been using shelf liner for some time now and use it on all my larger project.  I have never had any issues with the liner pulling up the veneer on BB. I finally ran out of my supply of Con-Tact brand liner and I purchased some more only to find that it left a sticky residue on all my projects, they must have changed the adhesive since my last purchase. I have changed to Duck brand Easyliner Removable adhesive and it works great.

I just use a very light coat of super 77 on the pattern. wait at least 3 minutes and put it on the wood.  

Sometimes might need a few more minutes, just depends on how tacky it is.  i think uit should be just barely tacky, 

it stays on long enough to do the job and comes right off without hassle. 

Its a fine line though between tacky and too tacky.  Nothing more irritating than it sticking on the wood/  I have never had the pattern fall off mid scrolling even though I think it might sometimes. 

No matter what method I use, be it the shelf liner, blue tape or the peel & stick shipping labels, when I'm done cutting, I just use a heat gun and the patterns come right off. I very seldom remember to sand before attaching the patterns so I will have to start doing that. If I could just figure out a way to jog my memory that is.

Always have used shelf liner.  Much cheaper than painters tape.

As others have said, the trick to keep from lifiting wood fibers is too sand well just before applying the liner.  I use 220 followed by eithe 600 or 1500 grit to get a VERY smooth surface.  I have two palm sanders fitted with these grits and it only takes a few minutes with each to get that really smooth surface and follow with a clean tack cloth to  remove all dust before applying the liner.  

I also agree that it is not a good idea to leave the liner on too long and keep it out of the sun and high heat.

I use a lot of BB Ply and the solid core project panels from HD.  For projects with the natural wood exposed, I prefer the Maple or Walnut Solid Core product as it is a little harder and much less like to have any fiber lift.  I mostly use BB ply for backers and cut panels that I will paint. 

Nothing to do with fiber lift, but I do prefer Maple Solid Core Ply to the BB Ply for it's nicer color and prettier grain for many of my projects. 

Edited by FrankEV

I spray the wood with a light coat of glue let it get sticky , it takes about 30 sec. when the cutting is done I dampen the rag with mineral spirits , wipe it on  the paper and the pattern almost falls off. wipe the board with the same moistened rag .  no problems I have been using this method for the past year and have had no problem. It's faster than the above methods and cheaper. A gallon last about a year . 

IKE 

1 hour ago, ike said:

I spray the wood with a light coat of glue let it get sticky , it takes about 30 sec. when the cutting is done I dampen the rag with mineral spirits , wipe it on  the paper and the pattern almost falls off. wipe the board with the same moistened rag .  no problems I have been using this method for the past year and have had no problem. It's faster than the above methods and cheaper. A gallon last about a year . 

IKE 

The next time I leave my county, I'll have to pick up a gallon. Darn, I was just in Tennessee and never gave it a thought.

I had used the Contact brand forever and thanks to Charles Hands suggestion I switched to the Duck brand.  And have had no issues. As the others have said I also pre sand to 320 Especially if I am doing delicate fretwork. wipe of the dust to be safe apply liner, run pattern through the Xyron, put it on the liner. 

No issues!

Like a couple of other posts  I sand my wood smooth and clean he saw dust off very well. Then I spray glue the back of the party and wait about 1 to 3  minutes, sometimes even longer and place the pattern directly on the wood. after I finish my cut I cut either peal off the pattern easily. If it is a lot of fret work I will usually apply a dampened rag with mineral spirits and let it sit for about 30 seconds and the pattern comes off and the fibers of ply never lift. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, red river said:

Just wanted to pass along that I have used Duck brand shelf liner on 3 project and it has worked like a charm. I'm liking it better than the blue painters tape. 

That's what I use as well -  although with the problems I'm having finding spray adhesive, I just ordered 1k 8.5x11 labels to print patterns on as backup.

Also had to go with some 3m77 since it was all I could find reasonably priced. No way am I EVER going to pay $20-$40 for one can of spray adhesive