Nostalgia - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

Nostalgia.png

Last week, I headed back to Montana to visit my family.  It has been awhile since I've been home.  We had a great time reminiscing about the good ol' days.  So I think this month's scroll saw challenge is about nostalgia.  Post a project that brings back memories of the good ol' days.  This is pretty open to interpretation.  Old cars, trains, farm houses, scenic, etc.  When you post, let us know what kind of memories it brings back for you.  It will be fun to see what people come up with.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, Rockytime said:

What a gorgeous clock! What wood did you use, BB? Also is it stained or painted and who makes the pattern. Sorry for all the questions but that clock is special.

Hi Les

I believe it is this clock on Scrollsaw.com. They have some really nice clock patterns at very reasonable prices.

Click this link below, and it is the 4th picture down.

https://www.scrollsaw.com/collections/clocks-for-the-scroll-saw-sure-to-become-a-family-heirloom/fretwork

Ben

On 8/11/2021 at 5:05 PM, Rockytime said:

What a gorgeous clock! What wood did you use, BB? Also is it stained or painted and who makes the pattern. Sorry for all the questions but that clock is special.

One thing I can tell you about that clock,,,, do not try to build it out of Cherry!   I did, and the 1/8" thick pieces broke every time they were touched...!  Mine ended up on a bond fire!!!

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

One thing I can tell you about that clock,,,, do not try to build it out of Cherry!   I did, and the 1/8" thick pieces broke every time they were touched...!  Mine ended up on a bond fire!!!

I'm starting the Rhinelander clock from The Art Factory. I've ordered Cherry and Walnut. The Cherry is for the 1/8" parts. I guess I had better go with something else. 

6 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I'm starting the Rhinelander clock from The Art Factory. I've ordered Cherry and Walnut. The Cherry is for the 1/8" parts. I guess I had better go with something else. 

One thing, I am not good a paying attention of grain direction and on fragile pieces that is important.  That could have been the problem, I don't know, but cherry if fragile in thin pieces...

The Panther really pops. !

When doing fretwork like that magnificent clock grain direction is not very helpful because of the design. If you strengthen one direction you will have just as many weak areas in the other direction.  Cherry is such a beautiful wood. 

If you have the capability to glue up Veneers. you could make your own cherry plywood. 

Edited by Rolf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:40 AM, ben2008 said:

Hi Les

I believe it is this clock on Scrollsaw.com. They have some really nice clock patterns at very reasonable prices.

Click this link below, and it is the 4th picture down.

https://www.scrollsaw.com/collections/clocks-for-the-scroll-saw-sure-to-become-a-family-heirloom/fretwork

Ben

yes that is the pattern.. if you have any questions when you start to cut it, just PM and I will help you. there are some pattern parts that are a little difficult to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, Jim Blume said:

Remembering my first day in Basic Training with the promise to get my first clothing issue the following day. And then the Sergeant saying, let's see how many of you will walk the walk, so you can have the right to talk the talk.

I made this pattern for all of those who have earned that right.

Boots Walk The Walk.jpg

Love it Jim! It's one of the patterns I will do when I get my shop put together. We just moved from MO back to the border in Mission TX, movers have not delivered yet and I'm expanding on the casita that will become my shop. I was issued my first pair about 50 years ago!