Something that you might think about adding to your saw!

OCtoolguy

I cant say as in all the years I've been scrolling that I've had a blade that would allow me to use a fence for a straight cut, I've always had to run the straight line at an angle to get the blade to cut "straight".  But, hey, if it works for you, thats great! Besides witch, my table is mostly round, hard to mount a straight edge on that.

Chris

I’m with Dave and Dan. I can cut a straight line good enough for scroll work. If I need a straight outside line I cut it with my table saw. If it’s an inside straight line, I know which scroll saw blade to use to make a straight cut. By the time it takes to set the fence for blade drift, I could be done with the cut free hand.

I could see this being very beneficial for production runs of certain pieces for someone that doesn't have a table saw or bandsaw.. Several years ago I could have used that to make clock bases when I didn't have much for any other saws. I wouldn't say it's totally useless but it probably is for the majority of us that have a full shop of tools that would be better suited to do straight cuts.

My clock bases are typically about 2 inch wide and whatever length I need typically 7" and 11" I used to make them oval shaped rather than just a simple rectangle but shipping the oval shaped ones required me to use larger boxes and also sometimes put the weight up to where it was in the next pricing bracket which was substantially more money and required me to scroll them since I didn't have any way to cut oval shapes back then.. I now use my CNC to carve out my website address on the bottom and then cuts out the base. Before the CNC I started cutting them on the table saw to save a lot of time. Table saw is faster than the CNC but I like the website address being engraved on the bottom of the base. 

Anyway before the table saw and CNC etc.. This could have been beneficial back in the beginning days.. That said it probably wouldn't work on any of the saws I had since every saw I've owned had a rounded table.. the EX has  the most squared front of the table saw I've had,  and I think it's still rounded to some degree..

15 hours ago, octoolguy said:

To respond to all your comments, it was just something that I ran across and thought I'd pass it along. I doubt that I would ever add it to my saws either. Sorry if it was out of line.

I don't believe you were out of line. I'm sure everyone will agree that exploring new ways of doing things is always good, and presenting those ideas here is a great way to expose a lot of people who may not otherwise find out about it.

Back a few years ago I tried using a 2 x 4 clamped to the table for straight cuts. That didn't work, blade drift made that idea impossible. 

So don't feel bad about presenting a new idea, it's all good

Chris

• 2 weeks later...