Hegner stand question?

GrampaJim

I like to sit while I scroll.  My Hegner is on a tall factory stand and that needs a "Draftsman" type stool to sit at.  I looked at getting the Hegner short stand from Advanced but thought the cost was too much (235.00 plus shipping)- more than I paid for the saw.

I am thinking about just cutting the tall stand down to chair height.  Any pros and cons from the experts?

The Hawk stands are high too, I think back in the day people didn't "sit at jobs" and thus they made them to stand at, LOL.. Like Dave, I have a adjustable stool that I can use at both the Hawk and the Excalibur. The EX-21 is short compared to the Hawks.. The stool I have is at the tallest setting for the Hawk and almost near the lowest setting for the Excalibur.. 

I think the stool would be a much cheaper option than a new stand.. Cutting the original stand down might work though.. I'd be worried about cutting all the legs exactly the same though.. unless you have a way to add adjustable feet to it? Don't know how well the stands sell used but I've seen them on eBay and other places for over $100.. If you chose to go the new stand route.. you might be able to pull part of your money back from selling the taller stand.. I'd think it'd take some time to sell it though, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also use a 6 x 6 chunk of pole barn post to place my foot switch on for the taller stand at the Hawks.. otherwise I can't reach the foot switch / floor from my stand..

Edited by kmmcrafts

18 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

I have a Hegner and Pegas.  I have the Pegas at chair height. The Hegner Is on the high stock stand.  I use the same stool at both of them. Bought it about a month ago and love it. https://www.amazon.com/Antlu-Rolling-Drafting-Adjustable-Hydraulic/dp/B07F8NXBXD?pd_rd_w=TyDJb&pf_rd_p=5bc65336-a8b0-4888-9e70-4d4ce2f6bd59&pf_rd_r=3YHZDCYZAP7AD723H6W0&pd_rd_r=069a695e-76d8-4d8e-8bd4-8cb3e9fbc0d3&pd_rd_wg=HB28x&pd_rd_i=B07F8NXBXD&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

Dave, I think I'm going to treat myself to one of these but I think I'll get the one with the back rest. What say you? I'm 6' 2", 230 lbs and my lower back gives me fits from time to time. 

12 minutes ago, ChelCass said:

Would it not be worthwhile to build your own stand for your Hegner? 

I could do that.  My Excalibur sits on the one I made and I am very happy with it.  Call me cheap and lazy, but the Hegner already has a good stand, and I thought shortening it would be perfect for it as my second saw.  And I already have enough chairs that I am happy with, too.  🙂

I was hoping someone here, had a good reason to cut the legs down or tell me that's a bad idea..........

3 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Dave, I think I'm going to treat myself to one of these but I think I'll get the one with the back rest. What say you? I'm 6' 2", 230 lbs and my lower back gives me fits from time to time. 

I love the stool.  I didn't buy the back because I didn't like the negative comments so many people have about it. I'm about 195 and 5 ' 10" and the height works great for me on both saws.  

7 minutes ago, GrampaJim said:

I could do that.  My Excalibur sits on the one I made and I am very happy with it.  Call me cheap and lazy, but the Hegner already has a good stand, and I thought shortening it would be perfect for it as my second saw.  And I already have enough chairs that I am happy with, too.  🙂

I was hoping someone here, had a good reason to cut the legs down or tell me that's a bad idea..........

Sure wouldn't bother me cutting the legs off if I wasn't happy with it. Being it is a three legged stand if one leg is a touch short it won't make any difference. 

3 hours ago, rjweb said:

Wow Ray looking at your picture I would have guess that you are 5 ‘ 8” and about 160 lbs, RJ 

You can't tell much from a head shot. And that was taken about 12 years ago. I've put a few pounds on since the pandemic hit. I've been 6' 2" since I was in the 6th grade.

1 hour ago, GrampaJim said:

Jim, it's YOUR stand and if you want to cut it down, go for it. Just do it in a way that you can still bolt it down as the Hegner are tempermental about that. Even tightening the 3 bolts that hold the saw to the stand can alter the way it runs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just decided how high i wanted it and just cut the legs off of my Polymax's stand

didn't take me 1/2 hour to cut the three legs ( used a square to keep them square )- i popped the inserts out the cut offs and popped them into

the stand -easy peasie ( i have another heavy duty stand for a polymax if i ever want to go back to the high stand )

( But i wont )

2 hours ago, Puzzleguy said:

I just decided how high i wanted it and just cut the legs off of my Polymax's stand

didn't take me 1/2 hour to cut the three legs ( used a square to keep them square )- i popped the inserts out the cut offs and popped them into

the stand -easy peasie ( i have another heavy duty stand for a polymax if i ever want to go back to the high stand )

( But i wont )

I've never seen a Hegner stand with any sort of inserts in the legs. The stand for the Polymax but be different. Every stand I've seen was 3 legs, flat on the bottoms and had steel tabs welded to the leg to bolt them down. Weird!