Hegner Thingy 2

Sycamore67

About two years ago, I bought a new Hegner and moved my dust collection over from my older Hegner.  

On the top, I use a Loc Line from the bellows to blow the dust away so from the cut.  I use a larger Loc Line connected to my Festool dust extractor to suck the dust.  This works really well.  Notice that I also made a larger handle for the tension lever as the original hurt my hands.

20230211_111000_resized.thumb.jpg.7b37448fcc521cb95c99f137b1a6e21b.jpg

Underneath the table , I plumbed up the extractor with PVC.  the joints are not glued. I can move it to insert the blade and holder.  I initially tried the dust red "thingy" but was dissatisfied with it.  

20230211_111029_resized.thumb.jpg.246de8c704ca0ffdbf251f57b008977f.jpg

Someone in another thread mentioned using their dust collector to such dust on the Hegner.  This is likely not effective.  A dust collector has about 1/10 the suck or vacuum of a shop vac or extractor.  I am using a Festool Dust extractor which is pretty quiet and does not bother me.

A number of folks have developed similar systems for their scroll saws and it seems to be working well for them.

That sure looks well engineered. I had something similar on my Dewalt prior to selling it. I might have to put another one together and use your ideas. First I have to come up with a stand that I'm happy with. Thanks for posting the pics. I might need to ask for more info. The tee that is the main part of your system, can you tell me anything about it? It appears to be two different sizes or am I looking at it askew?

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

@Sycamore67 You got yourself a pretty tricked out Hegner there.  Been trying to figure out  what the thingy the arrow is pointing to in my cropped picture of it. 

20230211_111000_resized.jpg.74d53143dee192bd2af522b627d353f8.jpg

Paul the newer Hegners have a flex line  for the bellows.. I think that is a bracket for holding it in place. I tried to find an image with a good view of this area but wasn't successful, however if you look at the screenshot on the helpful videos page of their site the first video shows the hose going through what looks like that same bracket.. 

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/helpful-videos-demonstrations-advanced-machinery 

The inlet pipe was sized to fit my Festool hose with OD about 34 mm.  I used Schedule 40 PVC and inlet is 1-1/4"with a coupler to fit the hose of the same size.  The Tee is also 1.25" and then reduced to 3/4" PVC for below the table and above to the 3/4" Loc-Line.

There are other bits and adapters but you just need to go to the Big Box sore and fiddle with fittings to adapt to your conditions.

There is nothing magic or difficult but just some simple fittings and adjustment to fit your vacuum and your saw.

It would be interesting and welcome if anyone has some good ideas for improvement.  

4 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

The inlet pipe was sized to fit my Festool hose with OD about 34 mm.  I used Schedule 40 PVC and inlet is 1-1/4"with a coupler to fit the hose of the same size.  The Tee is also 1.25" and then reduced to 3/4" PVC for below the table and above to the 3/4" Loc-Line.

There are other bits and adapters but you just need to go to the Big Box sore and fiddle with fittings to adapt to your conditions.

There is nothing magic or difficult but just some simple fittings and adjustment to fit your vacuum and your saw.

It would be interesting and welcome if anyone has some good ideas for improvement.  

Thanks. I sort of thought the same thing but your pics make that tee look bigger and one end looked like it was smaller than the other. I'll figure out the rest. I do appreciate your input and the pics.

My Hegner setup is very similar, but I took that black thing off the front to make a bit more space under the table.  I also use a 3/4" to 2" T connector with a plug in one end.  I've hot glued my Loc Line into the 3/4" end and can position it under the saw arms.  It seems to work a bit better with the larger cup to catch the dust as it falls.  

I wish I had pics, but I'm at work and no access to my saw for another 6hrs.  I've also plans to completely rebuild my dust extraction system.  

It is good to hear how others are doing this.  I might find something i can incorporate in my setup.

I find the scroll saw dust to be very fine and as such a breathing hazard.  I like the idea of catching dust at the source rather than blowing it away.  

I hope that rash_powder will post pictures.

Edited by Sycamore67

11 hours ago, rash_powder said:

My Hegner setup is very similar, but I took that black thing off the front to make a bit more space under the table.  I also use a 3/4" to 2" T connector with a plug in one end.  I've hot glued my Loc Line into the 3/4" end and can position it under the saw arms.  It seems to work a bit better with the larger cup to catch the dust as it falls.  

I wish I had pics, but I'm at work and no access to my saw for another 6hrs.  I've also plans to completely rebuild my dust extraction system.  

By all means, please post your setup. Thanks!

sorry for the wait - i forgot i was to do this.  please ignore the mess in the background.  

IMG_5493.HEIC IMG_5494.HEIC

the manifold is pretty standard.  3/4" pvc, i made cuts in the ends to loosen them up some, but then had to shim them tight again with paper.  it will be a pain, but put only 1 cut in, not two.  3/4" Loc-Line for the flex pipes.

Edited by rash_powder

this is my dust collector.  a 1/2 gallon jar with a Dust Deputy on top.  the vac motor is a household central vac motor/blower assembly.  I rtv'd a 1 1/2" pvc couple to the suck side and built a manifold to hook it all up.  its powered from a treadmill speed control i scavanged, you can just see it on the side above the motor.  theres also a choke coil to help with any noise the motor may generate, but I don't think it does much.  the vac is an ac/dc type motor so it works great with the treadmill controller as that puts out a max of 90VDC.  At full power this thing will SUCK.  I have a potentiometer installed to adjust speed, and a push button to trick the controller into thinking the motor is set to zero so i can leave the suck power where i want it.  

it took quite a while to assemble the collector as a few of the parts are scavenged and others just required a lot of luck to find.  its quiet, but not super quiet so i have just gotten a 90cfm blower motor from a furnace.  i'm not sure it sucks hard enough to work yet, but if testing shows it does it will be quite quiet.  If all else fails I will figure out how to get the current collector outside and just turn the suck up to compensate for the extra length of piping.

IMG_5497.HEIC IMG_5496.HEIC

The posted images are in HEIF format.

I don't have anything on my computer that can display these.

High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) is a container format for storing individual digital images and image sequences. The standard covers multimedia files that can also include other media streams, such as timed text, audio and video.

Well I dragged my setup out the other day, got tired of sawdust all over my paints when I got up from a session of scrolling.  Forgot how nice it was.   It is hooked up temporarily right now waiting on my quieter vac.  I thought the funnel I put on it was too big and get in my way when changing a blade, but I don't even touch it.  No more dust, top or bottom, how sweet it is.  I may put a screen over the top of the funnel to catch any small pieces I may loose through the hole in the table.

89CEF7F6-0631-4F33-A324-8199A47392C8.jpeg

A9B81770-6811-44DF-886E-7C56B4EC4E9F.jpeg

Edited by Scrappile

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

These are the pictures... since I had to download to view I changed the file to jpeg.. Neat looking set up..

IMG_5493 (1).jpeg

IMG_5494 (1).jpeg

IMG_5495 (1).jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5497.jpeg

How did you change the format?  A separate app?  I would have changed them if I knew how.  

Apple changed the file type and that’s given me troubles.  

I feel this computer stuff is losing me; and that’s kind of ironic as I work with microwave radios that are quite high-tech.  

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

When I downloaded them to view them I just right clicked copy image and then I went to the program "windows paint" then pasted the image there and click file save as and you can choose the file format to change to.. Also sometimes when you save a image you have a drop down option to save as file type.. This is done on my desktop computer.. I'm not sure how you'd do it from a cell phone.. Though most photos I upload are from my cell phone.. and at one time I had issues too but I don't remember what I did.. maybe I changed something in my phone settings..

Don't feel bad about tech stuff.. my son builds computers and works for a computer company doing programming and other things... even took a class on cyber security and was in the top 100 worldwide for it during competitions.. can hack other computers trace them down etc.. but if my printer won't print he can't figure it out, Hahaha.. When we did figure it out it was stupid simple too, LOL

Seems to be more and more of the postings that you have to download the attachment to look at it.  I am wondering if it is because more people are using their cell phones versas computer.  I don't know. But if that is it, anyone know how to fix it.  I do not, I do not even have a cell phone.  Not a big deal, just add more steps for the viewer.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the cell phones. Unless Apple does something "Apple". That's why I don't use any Apple products. A whole different can of worms. I bought my wife an iPad 10 years ago. She is not a techy at all. She never even tried to use it. I have it plugged in to my PC just to keep it charged. I've never found a use for it either. I know there are folks who live by their iPads but not me. PC, laptop and phone are as far as I go. Now, with all the AI popping up, I'm afraid that we have reached a point where once the machines start talking to each other, the human race is doomed.