Software Update

Travis

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

So when you come to the website, it lags for a bit?  But once it loads, everything else seems to work OK and you can browse easily?  Do you log into your account every time?  Or do you stay logged in day after day?

A new fresh log-in each time. Once logged in it seems everything works as it always has. I noticed that once logged in, if I had a notification, when I click on it it takes a very long time to see the notification list. Then once the list is visible and I click on one everything seems to respond as normal.

It's been that way for me most of the time for wow maybe a year or so, LOL.. But to be fair sometimes " I think " it might be my slow crappy internet provider.. the downside to living in the boonies.. But on a more positive note, they ran fiber optic cables last spring and I inquired about it and sure enough.. I'll have FO options available late spring / early summer 2024 YAY!!!!

Now back to the slowness.. it only seems to be the village that does it so now that I know it's happening to others then maybe not all of it is my end. For what it's worth, I stay logged in.. and have a direct link going to the forum list page and skipping the home page altogether.. If it matters I'm using windows 10 and the chrome browser.. If any of that matters.. It's not a huge slow up for me but definitely noticed.. Like normal pages load 1-3 seconds and the village is more like 5-7 seconds and now and then it just hangs up but if I click refresh or something it loads right away then.  

7 hours ago, Travis said:

So when you come to the website, it lags for a bit?  But once it loads, everything else seems to work OK and you can browse easily?  Do you log into your account every time?  Or do you stay logged in day after day?

I stay logged in. So when I come on to this site, even if I haven’t closed it, it takes anywhere from 20-30 seconds to load, then an other 10-20 seconds before I can click on anything. Once loaded, it’s lightning fast. I am using IOS on an iPad. My IOS is current. It’s been like this for a few months now. I have no problems with any other site.

Give this a try.  At the bottom of the screen, choose the pulldown that says Theme.  Then choose Test Theme.  It's basically stripped-down version of the way SSV looks.  I don't think this will help, but it's worth a shot to see if I can rule out your connection issues.  I'll only keep the Test Theme active for a week or two.

image.png

On 9/22/2023 at 1:06 PM, Travis said:

Yes, that is my experience. I only experience it with the Village loading slowly not other sites I may visit. I do not login every time but stay logged in but do close out the browser window where I had it opened each time when I am done. I am usually on my IPad with the OS up to date.

@Travis, I just opened SSV and saw that I had 2 notifications so I clicked on the bell. It took about 10 seconds to open and show me the two that were waiting. I clicked on the first one and timed it to see how long it took to open. 37 seconds from the time I clicked to being able to view the content, or in this case the reaction. Something is drastically wrong with the website. When I shut down my computer, I usually have 5 sites open but I use the "sleep" function. Then the next day I open my PC and log in to my Roboform login. That enables me to go wherever I want if the site is not already open. But, with that said, I click on SSV's tab to see what is new. From that point on, it's very slow to open the tab and once inside to navigate to anywhere. Everything is just very "laggy". None of the other 4 open tabs have that problem. This is happening on my phone from a cold opening of the site also. But the PC is far slower. When using my phone, I always close all open windows.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, OCtoolguy said:

@Travis, I just opened SSV and saw that I had 2 notifications so I clicked on the bell. It took about 10 seconds to open and show me the two that were waiting. I clicked on the first one and timed it to see how long it took to open. 37 seconds from the time I clicked to being able to view the content, or in this case the reaction. Something is drastically wrong with the website. When I shut down my computer, I usually have 5 sites open but I use the "sleep" function. Then the next day I open my PC and log in to my Roboform login. That enables me to go wherever I want if the site is not already open. But, with that said, I click on SSV's tab to see what is new. From that point on, it's very slow to open the tab and once inside to navigate to anywhere. Everything is just very "laggy". None of the other 4 open tabs have that problem. This is happening on my phone from a cold opening of the site also. But the PC is far slower. When using my phone, I always close all open windows.

Have you tried the "Test Theme"?  Did that help at all?

image.png

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

I did a Database repair.  @OCtoolguy @meflick @dgman @wombatie or anybody else who were having slow load times, is it any better since I did the database repair?

It seems to be back to normal here on my PC but still slow on my phone. No biggee though. Thanks for fixing it.

Sorry Travis, been out of pocket this week and lots going on. I’m on my phone away from home right now. Like others, seemed to load fine this time but with all of have going on, I really wasn’t paying too close attention. ☺️ when I get back to my iPad and get a chance to check I’ll let you know. However, since everyone else has indicated it’s been fine, I expect the same to be true.

• 3 weeks later...

Travis, there is still something not right. When I get a notification that I have either a message or a reply, I go up to the bell and click on it. From that point it can take anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds to open up the notification window that has the list of all notifications. Then, when I click on any one of them to see what was posted, it is still very slow. It's just not like it was before you updated.

Hmmm.  Yeah, I've been experiencing a bit of quirkyness since the last update too.  Mostly around how popups work.  Hopefully, a new one is coming soon. 

I think I need to optimize the SQL databases.  I'm not a programmer or computer engineer, so it's a place I'm not too comfortable with.  I'll look into it a bit more and see what I can do.  I basically have to open up some time so that if something does go wrong, I have time to fix it or find help from someone smarter than me.  😬