New to scroll sawing

JessL

I've been playing with cutting out animal shapes on my Dad's old craftsman pen end scroll saw.  I was having a blast but wanted to try the spiral blades and other pinless blades so hubby bought me a Delta 20" about a month ago and oh my,  I am in love with this saw.  Still have lots to learn, especially with those spiral blades, but the journey should be an enjoyable one.  There are so many things I want to make!  Looking for inspiration and advice from the pros.  

Welcome to the village Jessie. I'm Jerry from Colorado. Well. most of us are not pros but enjoy scrolling. You will on occasion get frustrated, but you will find this is something for the most part very enjoyable and will have a difficult time stopping. Very addictive as well as this web site. Many helpful people willing to help. Enjoy!!!

Jerry

Welcome to the Village from North Carolina. And welcome to the wonderful hobby of scrolling. As Jerry said it is very addictive. The members here are very friendly and have a vast knowledge about scrolling and other wood working. Don't hesitate to ask questions and please post pictures of your work. It's inspiring to others. Don't forget to check out the Village Library. There are hundreds of patterns ranging from beginner level to master. Also, Steve Good Scroll Saw Workshop Catalog (stevedgood.com) is another place to get great patterns. He literality has thousands with may being relatively easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to have you on board here. Welcome from Southern Arizona.  Most scrollers stay away from the spiral blade as they find it difficult to use. How ever, It is like anything else, all it takes it practice and before long you should be quite comfortable with them. Be sure and ask any scroll saw question you may have and you will probably get a large number of replies from those so willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome, from Eastern Washington State...  I am pretty new too...I am crazy slow at scroll sawing but I don't make as many mistakes that way.  I have been part of the village for a couple months now and have learned a ton from the folks on here.  I really like looking at the "Bragging" section to see others ideas.  Glad to have you on here!  mc

16 hours ago, MarieC said:

Welcome, from Eastern Washington State...  I am pretty new too...I am crazy slow at scroll sawing but I don't make as many mistakes that way.  I have been part of the village for a couple months now and have learned a ton from the folks on here.  I really like looking at the "Bragging" section to see others ideas.  Glad to have you on here!  mc

Thank you MarieC.  I'm pretty slow too. I like to use different blades throughout a project to test them out as well. I really enjoy this art! Looking forward to seeing your stuff as you grow. 

Cheers from Alaska!