New here -- from South Louisiana

James E. Welch

Hi all !! I have been a woodworker for pretty much my whole life (42 years young), well certainly as soon as I could hold a toy saw anyway. LOL 

I got into scrollsawing back in the early 2000's when I'd saved enough money to buy myself a craftsman scroll saw. I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal but at the time I was a young father with 2 kids both in diapers. We lived in a rented mobile home and I used the back porch with a tarp wrapped around it as my workshop. If you dropped anything chances are it would roll into a crack between the deck boards and be gone forever. :) There was no power outlets so I tapped into the outside light fixture with one of those screw in things that give you an outlet. If anyone turned off the switch I was in the dark and my tool stopped. :)

Fastforward many years and I have a full shop. I wore out the craftsman scroll saw years ago and only just recently bought a new saw. I went with the 16" king industrial which seems to be similar to the excalibur, pegas and excellsior -- although I'm still not clear on the differences. 

Oh, and I also 3d print and designed a better vac attachment for my saw that works pretty well. (I'm sort of proud of it) LOL 

Resized_20230619_110828.jpg

Resized_20230619_110834.jpg

Resized_20230619_110843 (002).jpg

2 hours ago, clocks and more said:

Can't see how it cathes the bottom dust.

Actually, it really does not need to take much from the bottom, as a monster like that on top will take 95%+ of the dust.  I have a smaller one and hopefully will be going larger myself. I also modified the bottom too, so I can get better dust collection from the bottom increasing the cross-vacuum flow.

Here's my setup with a top vac.

square.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

1 hour ago, rafairchild2 said:

Actually, it really does not need to take much from the bottom, as a monster like that on top will take 95%+ of the dust.  I have a smaller one and hopefully will be going larger myself. I also modified the bottom too, so I can get better dust collection from the bottom increasing the cross-vacuum flow.

Here's my setup with a top vac.

square.jpg

You're right, most gets sucked up at the top but if I turn off the bottom portion I get dust in my lap, so some goes that way. And as an added bonus with the larger size most of the small off cuts go into the system with the dust. I get a lot less small pieces on the floor, still some, but less. 

Your setup looks like it would work good enough to get most of the dust. I'm just guilty of going overboard most of the time. Lol 😁 

Send me your address via private message and I'll send you one of the ones I made if you want to try it. 

5 hours ago, JessL said:

Welcome from Alaska.  I spent my grade school years in Louisiana.  Really love it down there, but that heat keeps me up here.  

I can't blame you there. It is brutally hot down here. It's always been a dream of mine to now day visit Alaska. It's on my bucket list. Seems like such a beautiful place. 

• 5 weeks later...