Hello all, I'm a new woodworker

jimmyG

Since I retired last year I decided to turn my one car garage into a little wood working hobby shop.

Been trying many different things to find an area that would be the most and "safest" to learn.

The addition of the scroll saw last week is something that I really want to dive into. I'm sure I can gather much useful information here.

20230822_092519.jpg

Greetings Darryl
I started woodworking a little late in life trying to figure out what area I like the best.  
I'm starting to get the hang of scrolling and haven't messed anything up yet but I work at a snail's pace until I build more experience.   I have proper seating and posture but my old back pays the price if I sit for too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning this is Arun here from Bangalore India. Scrolling is new in India as a hobby. I am 53 years, have turned my garage into a small DIY temple. I learnt very late in life that I can't make anything but good at repairs. So here I am want to scroll saw and make some small and some things for now. So please help me out as much as you can. I want some basic A4 size templates to print out stick on wood (or) draw on to wood and scroll. Thank you.

Hello @Arun Welcome to the forum.  Very glad to have you join us.  May I suggest you introduce yourself using the This thread: https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/forum/46-introductions/.  That way more people will see it.  I do not think there are many, if any other members for your part of the world.  Looking forward to knowing you and seeing your work.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, jimmyG said:

Since I retired last year I decided to turn my one car garage into a little wood working hobby shop.

Been trying many different things to find an area that would be the most and "safest" to learn.

The addition of the scroll saw last week is something that I really want to dive into. I'm sure I can gather much useful information here.

20230822_092519.jpg

Welcome to THE VILLAGE where a lot of people from all over the world come together to enjoy each other's projects and learn from one another.  Just for your information I am going to give you a couple of places where you can download a lot of scroll saw patterns to learn on. First is the pattern library   right here  in THE SCROLL SAW VILLAGE and another good one is  www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com   this last site has a lot of beginner patterns and also some advanced patterns as well. The other  tip is do not buy your blades  at the big box stores as they do not handle the ones you will need for scrolling. Those you will need to but on line. Ask about those sites and they will be given to  you from the membership here. One last suggestion would be to find a wood store near you that sells Baltic Birch Plywood, as that is the best plywood for scrolling as it has not voids in the middle of the plys so it will keep you from messing up a project do to the voids in normal plywood.  The most used thickness it 1/4 inch.

Good luck on your new endeavor and take your time, with practice  you  will soon be doing projects  you never thought you could handle. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Your shop looks great!  I too use my garage as a shop, but I occupy one side of it about 20 x 6, as I still put my Mustang convertible in it too. One day, I might dedicate the whole garage as my shop, retirement is a couple of years away...

I just spent the weekend installing ridged dust collection pipes and a two-stage vortex collector for my vacuum.  I am still working out the top vac for my scrollsaw.  The current setup as pictured does a good job, combined wit the bottom vac from James, I have nearly zero dust blowing around. 

shop.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop5.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop3.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2