It takes a Village to make a great dust collection system

My oh my, aren't you getting fancy, except that is the wrong saw!   But looks like a great setup.  I also liked @Rolf catch the little stuff, but was too lazy to build it in.  So I added catchers at the source.  The black thing in my nozzle is out of a delta faucet water defuser and the pinkish red on is out of the cap of a toilet bawl cleaner dispenser!  Both work great and it anything is small enough to get through those, It is gone although I will be in my 5 gallon bucket my dust separator sits on.  So anxious for you to use your new saw.  I am still undecided about the Hawk here in Richland.  I keep going back and forth on it.

752714E1-F575-42C1-9C91-D1DE24721BED.jpeg

96D4458A-4744-4A0B-A671-13C91B91DB3E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

My oh my, aren't you getting fancy, except that is the wrong saw!   But looks like a great setup.  I also liked @Rolf catch the little stuff, but was too lazy to build it in.  So I added catchers at the source.  The black thing in my nozzle is out of a delta faucet water defuser and the pinkish red on is out of the cap of a toilet bawl cleaner dispenser!  Both work great and it anything is small enough to get through those, It is gone although I will be in my 5 gallon bucket my dust separator sits on.  So anxious for you to use your new saw.  I am still undecided about the Hawk here in Richland.  I keep going back and forth on it.

Great Idea on how you catch your pieces....but I do like Rolf's set up and I will use that on my Hawk.  Yes, I now need to buy another locline and the bottom dust collector device from James for my new saw...which I can't wait to start using.  I notice all dust collection systems are 25% off at Woodcraft for all of January, so I am going to need to order some more tubes and dust gates, etc.  I did look at that Hawk you are interested in...It looks really clean.  Maybe I will try making some sawdust with my new Hawk so I can let you know how I like it...unfortunately, it is still sitting in our very cold orchard bldg right now because my heated woodshop is too small.

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Thanks for your write up and pictures.  I will be redoing my dust collection system over the next couple of weeks as I get some other tools set up so it is great info.

If you need better pictures (close ups, let me know.  When I turned it on without adjusting the dust gates, the locline really was noisy (kind of a high pitch) but when I open my gate just a little to the hose for clean up, it really quieted down and still provided plenty of suction.

Same as Rolf, I did not glue my joints/connections, but used colored duct tape to seal everything and have them stick together.  This way I got the best air seal, and if something happens or I want to make a change, I can easily do so vs glued connections.

You will find, that tweaking your system ill happen.  As you operate things, you'll find moving, adjusting, etc. will happen quite a bit in the beginning.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Marie C, great pictures!  I did not glue any of the PVC joints as periodically some bits get caught in the bends. 

@Scrappile Clever use of leftover bits. for you small parts catcher.

2 hours ago, rafairchild2 said:

Same as Rolf, I did not glue my joints/connections, but used colored duct tape to seal everything and have them stick together.  This way I got the best air seal, and if something happens or I want to make a change, I can easily do so vs glued connections.

You will find, that tweaking your system ill happen.  As you operate things, you'll find moving, adjusting, etc. will happen quite a bit in the beginning.  

20240102_092801.thumb.jpg.cecab983e87a3724a73e9966064758a8.jpg

Thank you both!  I do remember you both stating not to glue your parts in previous dust collection threads, so I followed your advice and did not glue anything.  Mostly used those rubber connecters that just are tightened up with a screw.  I do think I may have used gorilla tape in one place that was a bit loose.  In a couple of places I used Woodcraft dust collection couplings to hold things together (especially on my collection box).  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/4-pieces-2-1-2-clear-dust-collection-network-coupling-woodriver-dust-connection?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuTpPgMf72hkPLK4ucHil0D86zH_8iezWunp8ZH1FTPtOgK5u1W1jNIaAga2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks again for all your great suggestions!

Edited by MarieC

That is a very interesting way of collecting dust from the bottom of the table.  I will be interested in how well it works and how much dust gets by it.   I did go to the Etsy site to see the workings of it.  Please let us know.

Screenshot_20240102-190826_kindlephoto-842568617.thumb.png.f7b5a088a43e176176ab9dd6105ce9d5.png

The dust port looks to be about 2" or so but the channel over to the blade is quite small.At most it is 3/4" wide and maybe 1/4" deep.  That is a cross section of 0.375 sq inches.  The 2 inch port is over 3 sq inches or 8 times larger than the channel.  

I am going to look at my Hegner and see if I can make something similar.

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

That is a very interesting way of collecting dust from the bottom of the table.  I will be interested in how well it works and how much dust gets by it.   I did go to the Etsy site to see the workings of it.  Please let us know.

Screenshot_20240102-190826_kindlephoto-842568617.thumb.png.f7b5a088a43e176176ab9dd6105ce9d5.png

The dust port looks to be about 2" or so but the channel over to the blade is quite small.At most it is 3/4" wide and maybe 1/4" deep.  That is a cross section of 0.375 sq inches.  The 2 inch port is over 3 sq inches or 8 times larger than the channel.  

I am going to look at my Hegner and see if I can make something similar.

I have almost no dust under my scroll saw after sawing for 4 hours today.  There are a few little pieces but the dust seems to be picked up by the top and/or bottom dust ports.  Usually I have a pile of dust under my saw and everywhere else.  The other thing I noticed is I can now saw without a mask on.  I usually have sinus problems when sawing.  Saying that, I will still wear a mask when I saw walnut or any of the exotic woods since I just want to be careful.  I believe @rafairchild2 has been using this dust port for a while and he might have more information about how it has worked for him.

dust.thumb.JPG.a43cfcce407bf878c2f42f3e055dc4df.JPG

30 minutes ago, MarieC said:

I have almost no dust under my scroll saw after sawing for 4 hours today.  There are a few little pieces but the dust seems to be picked up by the top and/or bottom dust ports.  Usually I have a pile of dust under my saw and everywhere else.  The other thing I noticed is I can now saw without a mask on.  I usually have sinus problems when sawing.  Saying that, I will still wear a mask when I saw walnut or any of the exotic woods since I just want to be careful.  I believe @rafairchild2 has been using this dust port for a while and he might have more information about how it has worked for him.

dust.thumb.JPG.a43cfcce407bf878c2f42f3e055dc4df.JPG

I'd advise you to still wear your mask. The stuff you can't see would anaze you. I have dust control and an overhead air cleaner and I still wear my mask.

Yes, I have the prototype as I was the first one James sent it to.  When I am running with my bottom "throttle" at least 50% I get nearly zero dust.  I have a small throw/catch box under the opening, resting between the table legs, below my knees that catches some of the larger 'chunks' that drop (and I pitch castoffs) or are not sucked up by the top vac. I also find with the top vac, I really do not need the 'puffer' either.

saaw.jpg