My next project

5 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Very cool,, I always wanted to make one, but I would start out with an easier one.  And probably get it finished.

I only wish I had it in me to attempt something like this. I can't even get up the fortitude to build a clock.

Wow, that would take a realllly long time to build but it sure is cool! I showed it too  my husband and told him it would be really cool to make something like that and his response was, "If you make that I wouldn't see you again....you would be in your shop forever!"

Edited by MarieC

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Wow, that would take a realllly long time to build but it sure is cool! I showed it too  my husband and told him it would be really cool to make something like that and his response was, "If you make that I wouldn't see you again....you would be in your shop forever!"

And he would  be correct.

What gets me is how somebody comes up with this stuff. I realize I have no imagination but even if I was to decide one day to create a marble machine, how does it get from one step to the next to the next, etc? I look at each of the different operations going on within that contraption and wonder what part of it came first and each step in it's order. I'd love to have that sort of mind and imagination. I feel the same way when I watch heavy equipment in operation and think about how each integral part has to be designed to work with all the other parts. I'm such a simple-minded person. Darn!

Us engineers can make things complicated.  This one also mesmerizing. 

San Jose Airport has a ball contraption that I like to watch. 

The one posted above is more complicated. 

I like this one, it has a cam shaft. Think about how to time that top dead center.  Pretty cool.  The birds beak has a timing cam also. The disk that holds marbles has angled holes to hold the steel balls in. 

So Ray just let me know what to send you.  Since I still work I won't have much time for team project.  I won't mind helping when I can.

Me.