Yippee I'm going to be Grandad for the first time.

Hi All

Good news last night I was told I'm going to have my first grandchild and the first thing that came into my head was what can I make, is that right? I'm now looking for baby things to make.

So baby rattles came to mind, I'm looking for help for ideas now, all help welcome I know there's a lot of Grandad Scrollers out there who no doubt have been busy already.

Looking forward to a health baby boy or girl to make thing for. Great news...

Grandad Roly.

Congratulations Roly, makes you feel OLD doesn't it lol - I'll put my thinking cap on for things to make for your new grandchild (do you know if it's going to be a boy or a girl or did they want it to be a surprise? or are we too early for that sort of news?)

They tell me they will find out but to early just yes yet. I'll make things for both then I can't go wrong.

Roly

Congrats!!!

as for the what to make question. I recommend taking a look at the book "making toys that teach" http://www.amazon.com/Making-Toys-That-Teach-Neufeld/dp/1561586064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374968043&sr=8-1&keywords=toys+that+teach Most of the ideas in the book don't really need the patterns, so you might not need to buy it, just look at it. 

Do a search for Montessori. lots of learning while playing types of things and lots of wood involved. (it is natural)

lastly,  take a camera with you when you wander the aisles of baby stuff. So many times I see things and say, I could make that. 

Well, congratulations. Grandkids are fun. I love ours. We have 12 grandchildren and 3 great granddaughters. I made the stork intarsia pattern that  Judy Gale Roberts has on her websight for one of them. I like the little girl putting on her boots too. there are many wonderful teddy bears. and cartoon characters that will both brighten the baby's room and stay in her life forever. Have fun with this. Your work will warnm that little heart and fill her with many wonderful memories of her grampa.

Adding my congratulations. I have 6 grandchildren now and love visiting when we can unfortunately the live 6-7 hundred miles away for 4 of them and the other 2 live in HI which is quite aways. Fortnately for them we have to do all the spoiling about twice a year maybe 3 times if they make it here. So all the spoiling is done all at once, Suggestions is boy or girl they seem to like the simple cars, trucks made out of like a 2x4, I have used a pattern from Steve Good that is a train with letters for the different cars to make their own train name. i make a little worm puzzle and gramma paints their name on it. They all still have the worm and display it to show friends. The 13 year old boy just this year asked if it was OK if he put it in a keep sake box he has for now. Making the little board puzzles with letters, animal or object shapes with different colors and shapes and animals is great learning thing. What ever you make have fun playing along with the kids.