I gained a new respect for the art or scrolling

tuner

Back in grade school we learned arithmetic with a pencil and paper, the calculator did not exist then. Sometime later I learned to use one...

What's that got to do with scrolling ? I'll tell you, about 3 weeks ago I got an old Ex cal. saw, got it running OK living with it quarks and did a few patterns just to try it out. I have about 15 years scrolling but it seems while I know what I'm doing I was in one spot like not using a calculator, give me a pattern with holes shape I'll cut them out I have seen the gallery here but never realy saw..

My wife liked a pattern looked simple enough and lot of you may know it just a horse head in a horse shoe. I hate to admit this but I had a hard time understanding what kept it together, then cutting it with lines going all over but not touching . (I believe this is called veining ? Up till now the most I did was on a leaf or something) at 3/4 done pattern is moving around. I've cut a lot of fret work but this was a first for me. It came out fine and I know I'll do more, but today patterns are like night and day. And you guys cutting them, well like I said I gained a new respect today, not because you can cut it but because you understand the pattern, can modify it alter, mix ECT. Even with my experience it will be a good while before Iam that confident. And yes, using the best saw you can afford is good advice

Think I'll go cut something 😇

I have always thought of a pattern as a guide not a cut from stone item to be religiously followed.  Some patterns will be beyond the skill level of the cutter and need to be modified or there will be times when a pattern has in your opinion too many "hold your breath and pray while you cut areas" that might need to be combined.  Other times you get a pattern that immediately suggests that it needs to be added to this pattern to make something totally unique.  I have been there and done that as I am sure many others have as well.  This is one of the great things about scrolling.  It is flexible enough to allow huge amounts of creativity on the part of the cutter.  For me this is fun.  Above all have fun when you are cutting :)

DW 

I have always thought of a pattern as a guide not a cut from stone item to be religiously followed.  Some patterns will be beyond the skill level of the cutter and need to be modified or there will be times when a pattern has in your opinion too many "hold your breath and pray while you cut areas" that might need to be combined.  Other times you get a pattern that immediately suggests that it needs to be added to this pattern to make something totally unique.  I have been there and done that as I am sure many others have as well.  This is one of the great things about scrolling.  It is flexible enough to allow huge amounts of creativity on the part of the cutter.  For me this is fun.  Above all have fun when you are cutting :)

DW 

I agree completely..... When I first started scrolling I thought every pattern had to be followed precisely .... I guess I thought the Scroll Saw Pattern Police would show up if I deviated at all.... Now I cut and alter as needed.... The fun is in the actual sawing 

I gotta say being still new to this I have deviated on everything I have done since I started only because as you cut you see certain parts that you think yea ill stop just before that or yea ill turn just before that and so far so good that`s my bit put in for wot its worth but then I also do the same in life as well I tend to always deviate from what I am meant to do and end up scrolling lol   :)  :D Frank

Come, on!  I never deviate, I stay exactly on the line and go strictly by the pattern.  I also cut out every teeny tiny little black area..... If a little piece breaks, I start over with new wood, new pattern....  "and that's the truth!". :razz:   Anyone that can tell me who I quoted there is an old goat like me.  I also lie....

Back in grade school we learned arithmetic with a pencil and paper, the calculator did not exist then. Sometime later I learned to use one...

What's that got to do with scrolling ? I'll tell you, about 3 weeks ago I got an old Ex cal. saw, got it running OK living with it quarks and did a few patterns just to try it out. I have about 15 years scrolling but it seems while I know what I'm doing I was in one spot like not using a calculator, give me a pattern with holes shape I'll cut them out I have seen the gallery here but never realy saw..

My wife liked a pattern looked simple enough and lot of you may know it just a horse head in a horse shoe. I hate to admit this but I had a hard time understanding what kept it together, then cutting it with lines going all over but not touching . (I believe this is called veining ? Up till now the most I did was on a leaf or something) at 3/4 done pattern is moving around. I've cut a lot of fret work but this was a first for me. It came out fine and I know I'll do more, but today patterns are like night and day. And you guys cutting them, well like I said I gained a new respect today, not because you can cut it but because you understand the pattern, can modify it alter, mix ECT. Even with my experience it will be a good while before Iam that confident. And yes, using the best saw you can afford is good advice

Think I'll go cut something

Get some cutting under your belt .It will all come together shortly

Think I'll go cut something

tuner, understanding a pattern & being able to cut it are two different things, imo, Sir. I've been scrollin' 25 years & have learned to spend some time studyin' my pattern before I even put a drill bit to it. There are several ways to work a pattern to your benefit. I cut a lot of Native American patterns. Including feathers. I make dream catchers, & cut my own feathers. The wood is 3/16" thick for the the feathers. I use a #0 blade or smaller to cut them. It takes about an hour a feather to cut. I've learned different ways to cut them to go with the feather, & not against it. It gives them a more realistic look. 

You'll find, with time, patience, & trying different patterns on different thicknesses & species of woods, different blades, your projects will turn out different each time. Veining is a learned process, & no matter how you look at each project you use it with, it will look different, & make each project look different. Fretwork is fragile work, & as your experience builds, you'll find what works for you, & before you know it, you'll be puttin' patterns together that you never thought you could! best of luck to you, my friend, & keep makin' sawdust!!! God bless!

my opinion is one should start cutting easy patterns, like silhouettes and when it is something you have no problem with and then try something a little more difficult with inside cut outs. and the same process continues until one finds they can cut any pattern they wish to try. Starting with too difficult of a pattern only brings dissatisfaction and disappointment and sometime leads to giving up and thinking one just can not do this at all. I think a lot of scroll saws on Craig's List end up there for that very reason.. Only push your envelop when you have almost.mastered the skill level you are in. That is how I feel about it.

Dick

heppnerguy

Sometimes patterns are just like that, perplexing and you just dont know why until you start cutting.  The worst is when you are halfway through a tough project and sort of forget what you are doing and start doubting what you know is truth.  Then its easy to start losing it.  Doesnt happen that often but does happen with everyone I think. 

its that pattern that looks like its simple and you can knock it out in an afternoon that will end up being like a 2 week long project that will drive you crazy.  

This is one that was just that i way underestimated and just mystified me the whole way.

post-5891-0-70173500-1491363526_thumb.jpg

Edited by crupiea

We all learn at different speeds and respond to different stimuli, so it's hard to say what works best for everyone.  One fellow in our scrollsaw club had never used a scroll saw.  Bought a new Dewalt and it sat in the box for a year before he set it up.  In the meantime, he was coming to meetings and picking everyone's brains about blades, techniques, etc.  When he did finally get started, he jumped right into cutting pretty intricate patterns with spiral blades.  To this day (several years later), he has yet to cut anything with a straight blade.  It was only a few months before he was knocking out Mike Williams and Jeff Zaffino portrait patterns at a remarkable pace.  His only concession to the degree of difficulty was to enlarge the patterns, which minimized some of the really fragile, trouble spots.  However, that posed a new challenge.  He incorporated some kind of supplemental support structure around his table to help him maneuver the larger pieces on the saw.  He has become quite proficient at cutting portraits.

All that said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that a newbie take the same path he did when starting out, but it only illustrates how different we all are and there aren't necessarily any one size fits all methods of learning how to read patterns and execute the cutting.