Dewalt vs. Delta Question

Ok so for the past few weeks I've been saving my pennies to buy my new saw.  I had decided to go with the Dewalt 788 and was going to purchase from Amazon.  Low and behold when I look on Amazon tonight they are out of stock on them and when I called and asked they couldn't tell me when they would have them back in stock.  I really wanted to order from them because as a Prime member I can get the saw with free 2 day shipping.  So I have to make a decision on whether to wait it out till they get some in stock or to go with my back up plan and get the Delta 40-694 instead.  I've read a lot of good things about the Delta, but have also read that parts are hard to come by.  Just hoping to get some opinions before I make my decision.

Thanks,

Josh

Ok, Listen up!

I have two Deltas. A 40-690 that I've had for about 5 years. One problem was dust got in the on/off switch.

Took me a week to track the problem down. As soon as I cleaned the dust out, all was well.

Having that problem, inspired me to buy the 40-694. I've had it since early January. I like it and and am fully satisfied.

My 40-694 did not come with a lamp or stand. Just the saw. I built a sturdy stand and have a good lamp ($7).

I would recommend the Delta.

PS: I did buy a new switch for the 40-690 and had no problem locating other parts in case I needed them.

I found the dust in the switch of the 40-690 and then forgot which way the toggle went back on. All worked out

and I learned about the internals of the Delta 40-690 and probably 40-694 also.

Only thing I can say on this is that:there is only one year warranty DW788.I had three of them in the past 7 year.Don't take this wrong .but they don't hold up every day use.For me they last close to year.First one was the motor when out on it,gave me a second one .The inside arm broke on second one,that one hold up for about year half .The number 3 I still have it.but I had to take to get it fix," tension knob on it when bad on it.I t could be luck .Anyway I have a Excalibur now and there is a story behind on that one too,but I'M not getting into that one   

Don't you have a lows or Home depot around.  Both sell dewalt products

I do, but they don't sell them in the stores and the earliest they can ship it to me is next Friday.  It's simply a case of I've already gone two weeks without a saw and just don't think I have the patience for another week without...lol

I appreciate everyone's advice and I think you all have helped me make up my mind.  Once again this forum comes through for me, Ya'll are the best!

Thanks,

Josh

It all depends on what  your cutting to make the machines last.I cut 3/4" plywood years with low priced Chinese saws ,they lasted because in ran at very slow speeds so the adjoining apartments couldn't  hear the saw .cutting hard woods will destroy a scroll saw quick.Running the machines wide open is detrimental too.Good luck finding something .I have back up saws a plenty as down time is not happy time! I''m very happy with dw788's I do repairs myself but don't like to work on the dw788 it's like a watch!

My DW is about 4-1/2 years of relatively hard use. Made many hickory flooring nameplates! That will test a saw!

I hated the lamp from day one-- I have made adaptors and use an actual spring arm desk lamp! Then I found the wonderful led now at Rockler for $50!--Has GLASS magnifier built in! GREAT LIGHT!

The blade clamps are not great; but, I even looked at the Excaliber and those are a little better, not a bunch!

I have no experience on a bigger Delta, but 2 of my sons have 16" ones and I did not like either of the 2--Sorry do not know model #'s.

They might be great saws too, I just did not like how they felt and ran! I had used an old Dremel for several years and actually liked it better than the Deltas. The DW is in my opinion a better saw for me than any of the 3 perviously mentioned ones. I would buy another DW #788 at this time. But, I would see if I could test drive a few comparable ones just to see what fits me best!

Do what fits for you, not for anyone else! Please the person in the mirror!

Edited by rjR

My DW is about 4-1/2 years of relatively hard use. Made many hickory flooring nameplates! That will test a saw!I hated the lamp from day one-- I have made adaptors and use an actual spring arm desk lamp! Then I found the wonderful led now at Rockler for $50!--Has GLASS magnifier built in! GREAT LIGHT!The blade clamps are not great; but, I even looked at the Excaliber and those are a little better, not a bunch!I have no experience on a bigger Delta, but 2 of my sons have 16" ones and I did not like either of the 2--Sorry do not know model #'s.They might be great saws too, I just did not like how they felt and ran! I had used an old Dremel for several years and actually liked it better than the Deltas. The DW is in my opinion a better saw for me than any of the 3 perviously mentioned ones. I would buy another DW #788 at this time. But, I would see if I could test drive a few comparable ones just to see what fits me best!Do what fits for you, not for anyone else! Please the person in the mirror!

Just to clarify, the old 16" Delta saws have nothing to do with the 20" saws other than the name. They are made and designed by different company's. So comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by dgman

If you have a Woodcraft Store near you, they have a sale going on a Dewalt 788 with stand and light. I think it was listed at $569 but I could be wrong. It wasn't any more than that though. And I'll bet they have them in stock. I have an old Type 1 and it is in pretty good shape for it's age. I'm going to go through it and replace/grease all the bearings on it. I'm happy with it so far.

Ray

Josh, AFAIK the Dewalt 788 and Delta 40-694 are essentially the same saw, different paint. The Dewalt was designed by Excaliber originally and then the rights were sold to Black and Decker/Dewalt. There was a big consolidation of several tool companies a few yrs. ago, including B&D/Dewalt and Delta, among others. Then, some were sold off and that's when the Delta saw showed up. Not sure what happened there.

anyway, I've had my Dewal 788 for 8 or 9 yrs, it has several thousand hours on it and works just fine. I have had the problem with the switch a couple times, but pull it off and blow it out with the compressor. Got my 788 through Grizzly for about $500 with stand and light, shipped.

Hope this helps,

John

I have the Delta 40-694. It is very similar to the DeWalt 788 and it has a few options that the DeWalt doesn’t have. It has a pin to hold the arm up and a small blade holder. Everything else is pretty much identical. It was 399.00 on Amazon. I ordered the saw a foot switch and a stand and it was still cheaper than the DeWalt saw. Yellow paint must be expensive lol

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, gurtzweiler@hotmail.com said:

just purchased online a delta was wondering about the light. currently have a magnifying light combination will it attach to the saw? or do I need a separate stand?

This thread is 5 years old. You'd be better off starting your own to get better results.

However, I have a delta as well and use the Harborfreight magnifier light comes with a nice clamp that works well on my cart.

https://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

Oh and welcome to the Village - may want to post an intro as well ;)

3 hours ago, gurtzweiler@hotmail.com said:

just purchased online a delta was wondering about the light. currently have a magnifying light combination will it attach to the saw? or do I need a separate stand?

Doug, welcome. Just some advice, it is not wise to use your email address as your user name, nor to post your email address in a thread on the forum.  You open yourself up to receiving lots of spam and maybe computer virus's.  I would strongly suggest you message @Travis to see if it can be changed....