wood for scrolling

Hi everyone, I was wondering what kind of wood everyone uses for various things. So far I hear that 1/8 inch baltic birch is the way to go for pictures to cut. also I was wondering where the best place to get wood is. I dont want to order it over the internet, and in my town there is a few menards, home depots, lowes, 84 Lumber, ace hardware, so out of those what would have the best wood for scrolling. Thanks for all your help.

-Joe

Joe, I know Lowes and Home Depot do not sell Baltic Birch.  I doubt is ACE does either.  Do not know about Menards.  Baltic Birch normally comes in 5' x 5' sheets although some have found it in 8' x 4'.  In my area several lumber yard stores sell it as well as a local place that sells unfinished furniture.  Shop around at those types of stores.  Use your phone. 

I prefer 1/4" but others do prefer 1/8".  It is just a matter of preference.

Edited by Scrappile

I use baltic burch for portraits. I get all mine from menards. You can go from 2x2 all the way up to a full 4x8 sheet. Price isn't bad either. I use hardwoods, oak walnut, ash, cherry hickory, whatever looks good for other projects. Boxes bowels etc.

I think the best place is at a saw mill,but that said: you need get a planer to get the thickness you need.You go to a Menards or or a Home Depot ,you going to pay high dollar for their wood ! I been lucky to get my hard wood for a trade in my work I do .The guy that run the sawmill, like my work I do

If you ask 20 people you will get 20 different answers to those questions. :)   That said, Lowes has a very good selection on thin Oak, Poplar and Pine but you are going to pay dearly for it. I agree with Terry Lee, if you have a saw mill or kiln drier that is the place to go. You can soon pay for a small planer with the savings that you will get on the lumber. Just one caution, if you buy wood right off the saw (not kiln dried) it will take about a year for it to dry to a usable level. Invest in a cheap moisture meter and learn the proper way to stack and block if you are going to buy green wood.  Good luck you will get the feel as you go along.

Edited by kywoodmaster

I find that the big box stores carry wood that is invariably warped. Same with Woodcraft stores, which carry all kinds of woodworking stuff that is always overpriced. I get most of my wood from Sloan's Woodshop online. You have to pay shipping($6.50 and up) but it's worth it for its quality. And it isn't warped or curled.

I use 1/8" Baltic birch for my portraits.  1/4 BB for some other scrolling(fretwork) projects. and hardwoods in different thicknesses depending on what I'm making. You can find some decent plywoods at the big box stores. You'll just have to look for some that you think will look good. Try a few different types, thicknesses and see what works best for you and you like.

I like using Baltic birch because I think it holds up(doesn't splinter out) better than most plywoods especially when cutting thin fragile areas.

:) Hi Micheals here in Jacksonville has the Baltic birch 12x24 sheets for 3.99 each with a coupon its less than that,made by revell,I saw it while I was in there and decided to try it and its as good as what I was paying 6.99 a sheet for at woodcrafters and a whole lot closer to me,I use it all the time for pictures and such.they had other sizes also but I already have some of that.

I get my ply at H D it is oak amd it comes in a 4' X 8'  $28 perk sheet. That is $0.87 per inch = tax. that's not bad for any project you have..I just made 3 shelves at a price of $2.34 each shelf. that I will get at least $30.00 when I sell.

Edited by ike

I get my Baltic Birch from Rocklers. Pay a price for it thugh and I have to travel to get it. I use a lot of hardwoods of different species and pine also. I have a thickness planer so I don't worry about the original thickness. I do have access to a rgular lumber yard and get most of my hardwoods from them, a lot cheaper then the big box stores and much better quality. Most of it is rough sawn which don't bother me. I'll have to check out my Local Micheals to seeif they carry the baltic, a lot closer and from what I read here a lot cheaper. As you play around with different woods you will learn which you like and what blades and speed. I think we all went through a learning curve and all are willing to help when we can. The most important thing is to keep at it, pay attention and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

that is right Dig,  I get a lot of my free wood from a cabinet shop. I could fill my trailer almost daily from there if i lived close enough but unfortunately I live a couple of hundred miles from where it is located and I usually am only in the area about once every 6 weeks and then with our small car so I am only able to pick up a little at a time..

Dick

heppnerguy

• 3 weeks later...