Your Scrolling Position

Malcolm161

I have not done very much scrollsaw work, but the little I have done, it has been whilst standing and using a foot switch.  Our bench is rather high, but the scrollsaw feels comfortable in that position.  I have also visited other scrollers who are standing to do their work, sometimes for many hours. Others prefer to have a sitting position with low table or high table.

What is your preferred position for scrolling, sitting, standing, low table top, high table top (chest level, waist level,)  How do YOU scroll?

Edited by Malcolm161

Thanke Roly, I like your scrollsaw.  So you would have the table at chest height, or chin height?  Dont know if you are tall or short?

Malcolm

Since that picture I've changed my chair it now goes up and down so it's around the top of my belly and bottom of my chest you will have to trial and error for what's the most comfortably for you. Roly

PS: No foot switch as it's right in front of me.

Edited by Phantom Scroller

Both of my scroll saws (DeWalt 788 and Delta Q3 40-650) are on their original stands and both about the same height. I always sit on a stool when scroll sawing and the saw tables are about mid chest in height for me. Both saw stands are tilting slightly forward.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

Thanks all for your replies. It seems that there is a variety of positions that are used and the photographs are a great help..

Frank, thats a hell of a top table there. You must have some huge patterns to deal with,but it's a great idea for anyone wh does have larger work to do..

My scrollsaw, the one I want to replace ASAP, sits on the end of the bench, which is a wall bench along the back of the double garage. In view of the fact that I am looking to upgrade (when SWMBO is not looking ), I have decided to make a few changes to accomodate a new saw at some date. Today I decided to remove the end section of the worktop, so that I can either leave it in present position, or lower in to a couple of other positions lower down.  That way I can try out what is most comfortable, either standing, waist height or chest height sitting down.  Not too sure about sloping it down as yet, but I can give it a try and see if it feels better.

I have started taking a few photos to show a WIP and will put them, up later on if it's a good job. Otherwise,forget I mentioned it!

Malcolm

I sit at both the DW 788 and Ex 21 table about mid belly on both. They are on the stands that comes with them and not elevated. I used to have the back higher but found I liked it down better after about 10 years. I put them next to each other then I can do two projects at the same time one with each hand. Not really. It would be faster just can't get my eyes to go to either side of my head.

When I am cutting on my DW I am sitting at my work bench on a backless adjustable bench with the saw table at about mid chest hight. If I am cutting on my Hawk, it is on it's own stand and I sit on an backed plastic picnic chair. I find both work for me and the changed position also relaxes me better than to be in only one for hours on end

Dick

heppnerguy

I had to stand on my feet for a great deal of my working career so I enjoy being able to sit while enjoying this hobby.   My table is chest height and tilted forward a few degrees.    I usually sit unless I am cutting very large fretwork.  I also have a very comfortable adjustable height shop stool with a back rest.