Top/Bottom Feed

Jim McDonald

Blade Feeding  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the preferred method of feeding blades

New at this, so I don't know if I am bottom or top. I do know this I have a hell of time putting blade thru the hole (inside cut), I always bend the hell out of the blade.  I guess this is a learning curve for me. Now mind you I don't have one of high end scroll saw either, not that it makes a difference for me anyway. I tried from the top and then I had a hell of time lining blade into the clamps. I guess practice practice

I started out on the EX 21 and didn't know top from bottom.  (self taught) I seen very fast that it was easier to see the hole on top of board than looking under and trying to see a small hole.  I started looking under the saw to see the clamp but made myself learn to FEEL were the clamp and blade is.  Now don't even think about it, takes about 4 sec to change holes.  Like someone said if you can tie your shoes without looking you can clamp a blade without looking.

Yeah me too!   Would like the option especially on large fretwork projects but it is what it is.

Have you tried putting Hegners quick clamp on the bottom instead of the top?  Or both places?  I have, and still do not like to top feed because I have to bend down to see what is happening under the saw table to get the blade in the clamp.  I bottom feed and to get the Hegner harm to lift higher I have removed the rubber bumpers at the back of the saw arms.   

I watched a Steve Good video the other day and was surprised to hear him say that most people bottom feed.

It's interesting that Steve Goods' poll put the bottom feeders closer to 25%. Not sure what the difference is between our two audiences is, but it is sure interesting.  I do know that the majority of his projects are very simple novelty type projects which may appeal more to those new to this hobby.  He doesn't really put out a lot of Dearing type fretwork, or Intarsia, or anything complex, so I suspect his audience is more likely to be using saws not top feed capable.  But that is just a guess.  

I wish Steve would have limited the poll to those that have top feed capable saws, because the rest do not have a choice so their vote is meaningless.

Edited by hotshot

I'm just curious, are there saws that only allow you to feed from the top or bottom but not both? I know my old Craftsman had thumb screws and even though it was easier to feed from the bottom I could have fed from the top but that would have been a PITA. 

Any comments?

I'm just curious, are there saws that only allow you to feed from the top or bottom but not both? I know my old Craftsman had thumb screws and even though it was easier to feed from the bottom I could have fed from the top but that would have been a PITA. 

Any comments?

Hey Dan, any saw that has a lifting top arm is a top feeder, although you can still bottom feed if you want. If the saw does not have a lifting top arm, you can only bottom feed.

The saws that are top feeding friendly are the DeWalt 788, the Excalibur EX 21 and EX 16, the Delta cloanes and I believe the Buston Hawks. Although the new Jet has a lifting top arm, the clamps do not allow you to top feed.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read this debate/poll so far, I think I am a bottom feeder. When cutting, I loosen the top screw and spend ages trying to get the blade to poke through a hole from underneath, a hole I am convinced is too small for the blade, just when I am about to give up it usually fits. Sometimes it is the hole I have just cut so that makes me quite annoyed.

Don, a little tip that can make feeding the blade through the holes easier, is to take an awl and push it into the hole first.  This opens it up just enough to help guide the end of the blade into the hole.  Also, while it may be more efficient to drill all the entry holes with the same bit, not every hole has to be the same size.  If you have trouble threading the blade, drill a larger hole, where the pattern permits.  Some places you will be forced to drill the entry hole as close to the size of the blade as possible, but other places, where more waste area is available, nothing prevents you from using a larger bit.  Holes of varying sizes can help you identify where you will be cutting, relevant to the pattern on top.

I use both top and bottom feed. I have a Dewalt and a Bushton 26" Hawk. Bottom feeding makes sence for smaller projects. For 20X24 inch fretwork patterns with 2000 holes not so much. Top feeding makes the larger size projects possible. I started with a Dremel Bottom feed only due to tool required blade changes. Doing a 25 to 50 hole fret pattern was far to slow to even make it fun. Now I have several large projects in work so I don't get bored working on the same pattern. Top and bottom feeding have their place. Bottom feed only saws are usually the lower end while the Either feed saws are more high end. Hegnar is the exception to that as mentioned earlier a Hegnar clamp can be placed on both the and bottom making them Top feed. Just my feelings on the subject.

Fredfret

Wichita.

I started with a Delta 16 inch bottom feed which required tools for blade change,  When I got my Excalibur 21 inch, didn't even know about the top feed option, until I read the manual (YES I did read the manual lol).  Took about 10 minutes for me to make the adjustment of reaching under the table and tightening the knob.  Really brought the joy of cutting large fretwork projects back for me.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...