Foot switch (Newbie question alert)

JimC

I have another newbie question. It seems from what I have read and seen on the internet, that most scrollers consider a foot switch almost a "necessary accessory". It also seems there are two types: the deadman and the on/off. I understand the basic difference between the two, and the fact that opinions are like noses, but is there some reason to pick or favor one type over the other that I should consider before buying one? Thanks. 

Jim

Hey Jim, Welcome.  Feel free to ask as many questions as necessary.  We've all been there and it's the easiest way to learn.  Many very helpful and knowledgeable folks here.  I'm just here mostly for decoration.  ;-)

As to your switch, I'm not really sure about the two different types.  All I can do is let you know this is the one I use for my Dewalt saw and I also have my ShopVac/Dust Deputy hooked up to it so that I control everything with one foot and it has worked flawlessly every day for 18 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LJNJOE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the dead man switch. Only powers up the sw when pressed. If you find yourself in a bad place life your foot and the saw stops.  Really helpful if a blades breaks :). Also welcome to the addiction and always remember that there are no dumb questions. :)

Ha! It's amazing how quickly my foot comes off that switch when a blade breaks.

I use the dead man switch. Actually have one on each of my saws and alternate between the two so I don't wear either of them out. Well that is the hope anyway. also if you put the saws close to each other there is a pedal for each foot and you can scroll on both saws at the same time. NOT REALLY don't try that stack cutting is safer and more acurate.

I have a foot switch, it came with my saw when I bought. I tried it, and I don't like using it. A lot of people prefer them to using the on/off switch, not me. I have an EX21, and the on/off switch is right up front. It's right by my hand when I'm cutting anything, and I think that I can stop the saw just as quick by using my hand. Plus, I sit when I am at the saw, and my feet are dangling 6"-8" from the floor. So, there's no easy way for me to operate the footswitch,unless I were to use the side of my leg with the footswitch mounted on the leg of the scrollsaw stand.

Len

I too use the dead man foot switch and with the combination of using a 3 outlet plug, the vac is also connected to start and stop same as the saw. I don't know why it took me so long to change over to the foot switch and have used on for the past 3 years and it was a cheapy one and still going strong. For the 1st year I would catch my self reaching up to flip the switch on the saw to start or stop it. Glad no one was around, very embarrassing!

Erv

I have another newbie question. It seems from what I have read and seen on the internet, that most scrollers consider a foot switch almost a "necessary accessory". It also seems there are two types: the deadman and the on/off. I understand the basic difference between the two, and the fact that opinions are like noses, but is there some reason to pick or favor one type over the other that I should consider before buying one? Thanks. 

Jim

I modified a singer sewing machine foot pedal .I took out the resistor cleaned ther contacts and maybe tweeked the points a little .Been working since 2004

I modified a singer sewing machine foot pedal .I took out the resistor cleaned ther contacts and maybe tweeked the points a little .Been working since 2004

Good to see you disabled the VS of that foot switch. never use a VS foot switch in conjunction with the VS of the motor on your saw. You will burn it up(motor) 

I too use the momentary switch and is alot more convenient than turning a switch on and off on the saw in my opinion. I also sit at my saw and happen to use a bar stool. Gives me the right height. What I have done is used a board and stuck it through the rungs and it acts as a platform where I place the switch and it makes it comfortable. Just like sitting at a bar at least I am told :)  

Jim

I tried both, I had a on / off switch already and it works fine.

The  wife was bugging me as to what to I wanted for my b-day, so I found the deadman (momentary on) switch and she got that

Hands down - the deadman switch wins for me

Jim

Thanks everyone. Great info. I have decided to go with the deadman switch. While there is some difference of opinion (to be expected), it seems the deadman type is the most common choice based on this thread. More newbie questions to come, I'm sure. Thanks again.

Jim