Metal Detector

Pancho

I agree about not using pallet wood for children's puzzles or anything for children.  You just do not know what was on the pallet or how it was treated or with what.  People are so careful with wood types and finishes for children's toys and pallet wood is not worth the risk.  I would not buy anything pallet wood for my grandkids.

Pallet wood is fine for some things but not children's things.

lmao, why?  what toxic waste dump are you getting these from?  Hey, kids, don't lick that pallet?  what sanitary mill are you getting your puzzle material from normally?  I'm sure Home Depot comes by and squirts sanitizer on each board every morning.   What are you talking about?  Geez give me a break here.  Are you serious?  I think before that tree was harvested, there was a dog,... oh my, don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been.  really?

Russell

I live on the edge of the rust belt with lots of factories etc nearby.  Pallets with paints, oils and agricultural chemicals soaked in are not unusual.  While most have merely been exposed to weather, I have seen them sitting in water getting moldy, or covered with bird and rodent crap. (And I still drink out of the barn hose, but only after the water's been flowing a while.)  Besides which, you may not know if the pallet wood is spaulted maple that has it's own health concerns.  

I started making gifts for my grandkids..  I am using clean processed wood from a store or cut offs from a furniture factory. (Made a small rolling pin for a granddaughter from a piece of kiln dried sugar maple that was intended for a husky office chair leg. )    I keep a special box for woods that I am comfortable using for kids stuff.  Most of it is kiln dried and not something that was used as part of another product.  For instance the maple cut offs from the furniture factory.    a 2 x 2 piece of sugar maple was just right to turn a little rolling pin for a three year old.    

Year ago, a fellow appeared at a craft show in Annapolis MD and was selling hand carved pipes.  He was out collecting his own "briar" meaning multiflora rose stumps and other materials.  The rumor around town was that the fellow made a pipe from a hefty root he harvested, which just happened to be poison ivy.  You really need to know what you are using.  Some woods suitable for pallets crack and splinter easily.  Something you would not want for a child's item.  If you were just cutting a rustic Christmas door decoration, no one would care. .