Is it the spiral blade or the user?

Phantom Scroller

Well I've always hated spiral blades but I needed a No1 or 2 ultra reverse but didn't have any but I did have a spiral and can't cut a straight line for toffee and I can't go over the top of letters without chopping the tops off is it the blade or user incompetence.
I think it's the latter. So I bought some more Flying dutchman UR blades and I'll wait rather than ruin the job. So see the worst cut I've ever made he didn't shepherd me on this one. Is there anyone else feels this way.frown.gif Roly

rubbish blades.jpg

I didn't know there was a completion for worst cuts ..............................

When I started down this road as a scroller 5 years ago I bought 2 packs of various selections of blades to allow me to experiment. I used all the blades except spiral. I tried 2 spirals but the results were as bad as Roly's so I now have about 20 spirals that I'm never going to use.

Bob

3 hours ago, Phantom Scroller said:

Well I've always hated spiral blades but I needed a No1 or 2 ultra reverse but didn't have any but I did have a spiral and can't cut a straight line for toffee and I can't go over the top of letters without chopping the tops off is it the blade or user incompetence.
I think it's the latter. So I bought some more Flying dutchman UR blades and I'll wait rather than ruin the job. So see the worst cut I've ever made he didn't shepherd me on this one. Is there anyone else feels this way.frown.gif Roly

rubbish blades.jpg

I can't seem to control a spiral blade. It has a mind of its own.

I prefer flat blades.. but I can cut most anything with either one.. I always called them cheater blades.. always thought there was no skill needed to use them.. apparently I am wrong though.. because I see many post like this.. and not just for spiral blades either.. I know people that can't stand flat blades.. guess I am gifted in that I can use either or.. 

This entire truck was cut using a 0/1 spiral blade.. I inserted it to do the veining.. but was too lazy to change to a flat blade to cut the rest of it out.. 

il_570xN.1122191766_n90b.jpg

At its most basic, the primary function of a spiral blade is to permit the cutting of pieces that are otherwise too large to spin around within the throat of the scrollsaw.  There are other functions where they perform quite nicely, such as veining.  Patterns without a lot of straight, smooth lines (such as most portraits) are best suited for spiral blades.  Any fretwork that incorporates straight, smooth lines and sharp points & corners doesn't lend itself readily to the use of spiral blades.  Spiral blades tend to leave a little rougher cut edge, so I don't use them on anything that is thick enough that the cut edge is highly visible.

The ability to use spiral blades seems to come more naturally to some than others.  I taught myself to scroll using straight blades, but have been able to adapt to using spirals, without a lot of trouble.  I know several veteran scrollers who won't use them because they can't control them.  I think, like most skills, using spirals can learned, with practice.

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I prefer flat blades.. but I can cut most anything with either one.. I always called them cheater blades.. always thought there was no skill needed to use them.. apparently I am wrong though.. because I see many post like this.. and not just for spiral blades either.. I know people that can't stand flat blades.. guess I am gifted in that I can use either or.. 

This entire truck was cut using a 0/1 spiral blade.. I inserted it to do the veining.. but was too lazy to change to a flat blade to cut the rest of it out.. 

I love that Ford p/u. The only Ford I ever owned was a 56 Custom Cab all "tricked out". I will have to find that pattern.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I love that Ford p/u. The only Ford I ever owned was a 56 Custom Cab all "tricked out". I will have to find that pattern.

Pattern isn't really a scroll saw pattern.. I purchased the pattern from a artist that does designs for CNC metal work.. Many scroll sawers think you have to have a "scroll saw pattern" doing a search for DXF files will bring up a whole new view of designs that are typically used for CNC plasma cutters for metal art.. many of them don't need any modifications whatsoever to be used for scroll work. This design was just the truck.. I added the small area below the wheels so I could mount it to a base.. and of coarse the clock portion on the back.. Design is from DarensGraphix on etsy.. DarensGraphix

58 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Pattern isn't really a scroll saw pattern.. I purchased the pattern from a artist that does designs for CNC metal work.. Many scroll sawers think you have to have a "scroll saw pattern" doing a search for DXF files will bring up a whole new view of designs that are typically used for CNC plasma cutters for metal art.. many of them don't need any modifications whatsoever to be used for scroll work. This design was just the truck.. I added the small area below the wheels so I could mount it to a base.. and of coarse the clock portion on the back.. Design is from DarensGraphix on etsy.. DarensGraphix

Thanks for that great info. I do appreciate it.

Ray

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Kevin

Have done the same thing when searching for a "custom" pattern for a customer. Don't take a lot of work to re-adjust things for the scroll saw and much quicker then designing a brand new piece. Thanks for sharing :) 

Roly's question; Is it the spiral blade or the user?"
My answer:  Yes, it is!

Just kidding, Roly,
I haven't really given spirals a fair opportunity and have only tried
one blade but, I'm sure any attempts of mine would look MUCH worse
than your example.

I'm positive you could do it with more practice.

God Bless! Spirithorse

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Very nice control!

13 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Wow and straight lines good work the only time I would use a spiral if it's to big to turn in the saw and I have no choice, I won't be doing fonts again with them in a hurry. :lol: Roly

I keep a spiral in a blade holder hangin' in the hanger of the Hawk just for getting a tight spot opened up for a flat blade to get started in, or for veining. Otherwise I very seldom use them. I keep different sizes on hand for different projects.

Don't expect shiny results the first few times ya use them. They do take some practice. I've found the tighter the tension ya keep on them, the better they work. jmo.

1 hour ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I keep a spiral in a blade holder hangin' in the hanger of the Hawk just for getting a tight spot opened up for a flat blade to get started in, or for veining. Otherwise I very seldom use them. I keep different sizes on hand for different projects.

Don't expect shiny results the first few times ya use them. They do take some practice. I've found the tighter the tension ya keep on them, the better they work. jmo.

Thanks every one for the comments..

That's what I do now that I have my Hawk.. Love being able to have some pre-loaded blades of different sizes ect too.. I use a Sharpe and mark the bottom of my holder what size the blade is for easy reference.. The Ford was cut on my Dw788 before the Hawks showed up.. :) 

I have used the spirals since I started doing this great hobby and before I found out about the different sites on the putter about this hobby and the spiral blade was given a bad reputation even than, but not knowing that the blade could not be controlled, I ordered some along with the flat blades and found that with a little practice I could do just as well with them as the flat blade. When Jeff Zifono, not sure of the spelling, was doing so well with the patterns he created and the write ups in the magazines and the cd he produced, I  learned  about the better ways of using the blade. For instance, if at all possible pull the work toward you and not pushing it away from you, this will give you much better control and you will cut straight lines much easier. The main thing to remember is that if you don't  want the cut to go left or right, don't move the wood! The blade does not have a mind of its own, it is just following what has been introduced to the teeth of the blade! If your fingers moved the wood just the slightest amount left or right, forward or back, the blade will remove what was put in its path. I know that all of this sounds logical but just take a look at the photos that has been posted by 2 other masters of the unwanted blade and tell yourself that the blade cannot be controlled!

Erv