Top feeder no longer

GrampaJim

My first SS was a new Craftsman about 4 of 5 years ago.  It lasted 4 months before it needed warranty work.  Then I found a Type 1 Dewalt on CL and after a year or so learned to top feed.  I really liked top feeding and it helped doing fretwork like the piece in my avatar.  Thought I would never go back. These days I am doing more intarsia and no detailed fretwork and the Dewalt is like me (getting old and tired 😏 ).   So, I just got a Hegner 18-V for an REALLY good price from a scroller friend. Its older, but seems to have all the options I would want. I scroll from a chair, so the stand had to go. I am just starting to learn to use it so here are some of my initial impressions.

The table has a really nice finish! Wish it were bigger!!!

The cut is not as aggressive as the Dewalt, but I think that makes it more accurate – at least for me. Because of the lower vibration level, I can turn the speed up and still feel in control.

All the cast iron frame parts look impressive.

Interesting blade clamps, especially have using the Dewalt. The Quick Clamp is nice, but I am surprised there isn’t an different option for the bottom clamp.

Bottom feeding on the Hegner is overall not as bad as I thought it would be. I did it before and can do it again.

I knew going in, that fretwork was not Hegner's strong point, so I pushed my other three project aside and started a new one – Steve Good’s eagle. I enlarged it to 15” across and am using 3/4” oak. Thought this would be a good test for the saw (and me) and it is.   I still need to set up dust collection for the lower end but so far I am a happy camper!

Jim

DSCF2866.JPG

DSCF2870.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG

It is interesting, but I have a Hegner.... would never part with it unless it was a trade in for a newer Hegner.  I find it easier to bottom feed on than my Seyco for some reason.  I really don't understand why, the upper arm does not go as high as the Seyco but it is easier for me.  And I do intricate fret work all the time on it.

Smaller table yes, but I increased the size of mine with a piece of 1/8" masonite easily. 

Anyway, Congrats on your new to you saw.  Oh, and I really have no problem with the lower blade clamp, but I do not scroll to make money nor am I in a hurry.   I am just totally comfortable with the Hegner.

I plan on taking a couple of months to get comfortable with it.  The big thing for me was I wanted reliability and I think its that and more.  The saw is over 25 years old and has no parts replaced - ever - just some upgrades added.   As has been said here on another thread, most other saws will be in the landfill and these machines will be still going strong.

21 hours ago, GrampaJim said:

My first SS was a new Craftsman about 4 of 5 years ago.  It lasted 4 months before it needed warranty work.  Then I found a Type 1 Dewalt on CL and after a year or so learned to top feed.  I really liked top feeding and it helped doing fretwork like the piece in my avatar.  Thought I would never go back. These days I am doing more intarsia and no detailed fretwork and the Dewalt is like me (getting old and tired 😏 ).   So, I just got a Hegner 18-V for an REALLY good price from a scroller friend. Its older, but seems to have all the options I would want. I scroll from a chair, so the stand had to go. I am just starting to learn to use it so here are some of my initial impressions.

The table has a really nice finish! Wish it were bigger!!!

The cut is not as aggressive as the Dewalt, but I think that makes it more accurate – at least for me. Because of the lower vibration level, I can turn the speed up and still feel in control.

All the cast iron frame parts look impressive.

Interesting blade clamps, especially have using the Dewalt. The Quick Clamp is nice, but I am surprised there isn’t an different option for the bottom clamp.

Bottom feeding on the Hegner is overall not as bad as I thought it would be. I did it before and can do it again.

I knew going in, that fretwork was not Hegner's strong point, so I pushed my other three project aside and started a new one – Steve Good’s eagle. I enlarged it to 15” across and am using 3/4” oak. Thought this would be a good test for the saw (and me) and it is.   I still need to set up dust collection for the lower end but so far I am a happy camper!

Jim

DSCF2866.JPG

DSCF2870.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG

I use this for my bottom clamp. https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/blade-clamp-wing-nut

I hope you like your Hegner Jim.  Yep!  Hegner scroll saws are reliable well made machines.  That being said I believe anyone that has a interest in buying one should read all the reviews that are posted here.   I have made several modifications to mine to make it more user friendly.   If I were in the market for a new saw I would give Hawk some consideration.   ☺️   

Edited by stoney

Glad to hear of another new Hegner owner. I too am one and still getting used to it. My only complaint at this point is the soft/slow start up. I'm not sure if mine has a problem or not and I have been trying to locate someone near me who has one and tells me that they have no problem with that aspect. I want to compare mine to theirs so I know if I'm chasing something that is normal or if I have a problem saw. I really like everything else about it. It is a very different animal from my Dewalt and I like it too. Like having two women who both satisfy you but in different ways. OH! I know I'm going to get it for that comment.

R

11 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Hummm.  I'm wondering, it there are no Hegner owners close, why not make a short video showing you slow/soft start, I be more than happy to do the same with mine.  I only have short video capability on my little Power Shot camera, but I'm willing to try.  You could compare that way,,, maybe.

Thanks Paul, I will give it a try but it is so hard to explain that I may have led folks astray with my description. If, say, I have the speed knob set at 1000 and I stip on the pedal, there is a momentary hesitation before it starts. I know that is supposed to be normal but what I'm concerned about is when it starts it jumps up beyond the 1000 and then settles back to what I think is 1000. It's like it's "searching" for the speed that I want. The higher the speed the more pronounced it is. At the slowest speed, it is not as noticeable.

2 hours ago, stoney said:

I hope you like your Hegner Jim.  Yep!  Hegner scroll saws are reliable well made machines.  That being said I believe anyone that has a interest in buying one should read all the reviews that are posted here.   I have made several modifications to mine to make it more user friendly.   If I were in the market for a new saw I would give Hawk some consideration.   ☺️   

I would be interested in the modifications you have made and others probably would too.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Scrappile said:

It is interesting, but I have a Hegner.... would never part with it unless it was a trade in for a newer Hegner.  I find it easier to bottom feed on than my Seyco for some reason.  I really don't understand why, the upper arm does not go as high as the Seyco but it is easier for me.  And I do intricate fret work all the time on it.

Smaller table yes, but I increased the size of mine with a piece of 1/8" masonite easily. 

Anyway, Congrats on your new to you saw.  Oh, and I really have no problem with the lower blade clamp, but I do not scroll to make money nor am I in a hurry.   I am just totally comfortable with the Hegner.

All one needs to do is have  a visit with you at your house and they can testify, as can I, that you turn out some of the nicest scrolling pieces I have ever had the pleasure to see. Even if I do have to feel a little embarrassed about my own work.

Dick

heppnerguy

21 hours ago, GrampaJim said:

I would be interested in the modifications you have made and others probably would too.

Jim I posted My Hegner Modifications  here some time ago with pictures but I can't figure out how to provide a link.   I am not all that computer literate.   Maybe someone can help us out. The search feature doesn't seem to work like it used too or maybe it's just me. LOL 

Edited by stoney

25 minutes ago, stoney said:

Jim I posted My Hegner Modifications  here some time ago with pictures but I can't figure out how to provide a link.   I am not all that computer literate.   Maybe someone can help us out. The search feature doesn't seem to work like it used too or maybe it's just me. LOL 

Hopefully this link works Al.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/24109-my-hegner-modifications/

Rob

• 1 month later...

Update at one month. 

Just finished cutting the first intarsia project with the Hegner.  Because of the less aggressive blade travel compared to my DeWalt, I find I am more accurate and the fit of the pieces is the best I have ever done.  I gotta love that. 

Table size for me is not an issue like I thought it would be. 

Breaking more blades than I did on the Dewalt, which I think is to be expected.  An it is happening less and less.  It almost always happens in the Quick Clamp on top.  Any thoughts?

Edited by GrampaJim