Home for the Holidays

meflick

Congratulations, Melanie!  You did a fine job on those.  Wasn't really that hard, was it?  Great job.  I like your idea for the backer.  Maybe try one with a backer (1/4" thick) cut just about 1/4" bigger than the piece. so it gives a border.  Paint it a Christmas color, you could even work it so you paint the backer green where the holly shows and red on the rest, or something to that effect, or is it affect, not sure which goes here.

A. Great cutting!

B. I am a fan of old barn wood.

C. Suggestion for backer; definitely the old barn wood -- Enough larger that the sign becomes a door on  a barn shaped background-- old paint left as is and then just clear coated over all of it.  Maybe add a name or?? on the side or on the hayloft as was often done.

D. I and I am sure; many others want to see the final results!

I think they came out pretty darn nice! :)  I like the barn wood idea too.. I also like the idea of doing the backer larger than the project.. 

If you choose to cut the backer the same shape but maybe 1/4 or so larger... I found that using a flat washer and using a pencil in the hole of the washer you can trace around the outside edge of your project to get the same shape as the project at hand.. The washer will roll along the edge as you trace.

I knew you could do it, and glad to see you proved to yourself that you could.. 

Good job Melanie. I too like the barn wood idea. I use it often. You may already know but you should check the barn wood for powder post beetle holes. Most of the barn wood I've gotten has them. If it does there are a couple of ways to treat it, with heat or insecticide. Otherwise they can hatch out which wouldn't be great if they are inside the house. I've used the oven to treat small pieces and I've sprayed it when I had a lot. Not hard to find advise on the internet for treating.

powder post beetles.png

I see  you are very active in The Village and participate in a lot of fun conversation s but I do not see you post much of your work. I am proud of you for asking questions about doing something that you had not tried before instead of just jumping in and making mistakes so that you have to learn the hard way. That is how I do.  you know, a guy who does not ask for directions to anything or any where. Your  work turned out to be very good and  your barn wood usage sounds like it could become an extra special, original piece, should you decide to do it that way. Keep up the great work on the scroll saw and please post any barn wood pieces you do, I am interested in seeing how it might come out.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Everyone.  Thanks Charlie for the tip on the powder post beetle holes.  I think hubby treated the wood but will make sure.

Dick, heppnerguy - have posted quite a few pieces of some of my work here - what I have posted can all be found in my gallery here as well.  Perhaps you missed some of them while you have been on and off the boards more since moving to Arizona.  I don't scroll everyday, should do more then I do, but lots of things get in my way still.  I need to make a better effort as I enjoy the time I do.  I also have other hobbies I enjoy as well so I split my free time with that as well. Then, even though my kids are older and in college and grad school, they still seem to take up some of my time. ☺️ Especially when they come home for the holidays. Then I have a 91 year old FIL who lives nearby.  I do have some intarsia pieces that I need to finish sanding. Problem is, since joining the Village, I have ventured off into other new areas of work that I want to try. 😉  I have some bandsaw boxes I have just completed with flocking yesterday for example.  Need to go knock off the excess flock and get some pictures and share.  The "handles" were cut on the scroll saw so I think I can share here. 😉 Maybe if I slept less, I could get more done. 💤 Unfortunately, I am one of those people who need my sleep. 🤫

5 hours ago, meflick said:

Thanks Everyone.  Thanks Charlie for the tip on the powder post beetle holes.  I think hubby treated the wood but will make sure.

Dick, heppnerguy - have posted quite a few pieces of some of my work here - what I have posted can all be found in my gallery here as well.  Perhaps you missed some of them while you have been on and off the boards more since moving to Arizona.  I don't scroll everyday, should do more then I do, but lots of things get in my way still.  I need to make a better effort as I enjoy the time I do.  I also have other hobbies I enjoy as well so I split my free time with that as well. Then, even though my kids are older and in college and grad school, they still seem to take up some of my time. ☺️ Especially when they come home for the holidays. Then I have a 91 year old FIL who lives nearby.  I do have some intarsia pieces that I need to finish sanding. Problem is, since joining the Village, I have ventured off into other new areas of work that I want to try. 😉  I have some bandsaw boxes I have just completed with flocking yesterday for example.  Need to go knock off the excess flock and get some pictures and share.  The "handles" were cut on the scroll saw so I think I can share here. 😉 Maybe if I slept less, I could get more done. 💤 Unfortunately, I am one of those people who need my sleep. 🤫

Glad to hear that . You are indeed a busy person. I will go and check out your gallery. I too have a couple of other hobbies that I am venturing into but so far I am barely scratching the surface on them. There are so many interesting hobbies out there and it is difficult not to want to do them all. Thanks for the update, I am really glad for the information on your work.

Dick

heppnerguy