Farm Life - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

farm.png

Whenever I think of November, I think of farms and their harvest, and the ranchers getting things ready for the winter ahead.  I think of apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and tractors plowing the fields.  So this month, our scroll saw challenge is about the farmer.  It's open to your own interpretation.  What does it mean to you?  Do you think of the animals, old tractors, beat up ol' trucks, old barns, farm house decor, or a lazy Sunday afternoon fishing at the creek?  Post a project with that theme.  Did you grow up on a farm?  If so, let us know when you post a picture of your project, and tell us a little about it.  I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with.  :)

And while you think about it, I'll leave you with song.  

I live in South Dakota and have been looking at houses in Missouri. We drive through South Dakota, Iowa and into Missouri through the summer and early fall. Each state had farm areas surrounded by water. One farm house and car was surrounded by water looking like an island.  This year with farms has me thinking of sailboats. Bad year for these guys. RJF

I can't relate a single thing to farming. My wife's mother and father grew up farming and she visited a uncles farm baling hay. i grew up in a suburb and couldn't point out the front or back of a tractor. We are dead in the middle of farming country and an MD explained to me all the areas are corporate and there isn't a little family farm in our area. We drive by tractor sales that are monstrosities. I see commercials with tractors that have complete satellite tracking systems to track the tractor and exact amount of seeds or fertilizer or pesticide and any point. I love the engineering of these tractors, but could locate the key or switch to start one.

If I even dared to design a pattern for farming, I would have to search the internet and watch videos of farming. Probably come off as a tractor rolling through a suburb. RJF

13 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

All of those you posted are appropriate, but the one that I like best is the clock with multiple farm scenes. 

I am already thinking how I might incorporate multiple scenes (other than those) into a clock.

That is a Sue Mey Pattern... she has many of this same themed style clocks of many other themes.. 

11 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

My Brother & I, plus the 2 wives had an Agri-business Corp. in NE Iowa for most of my working years.  When Dad was living, he also had a sawmill.  People would bring logs & we sawed them.  In his wisdom, he realized that if we worked darn hard all day & ended up with a lot of sawdust in our eyes, we were glad to quit for the day, & not go out and raise h____.  Powered the mill with a John Deere 820, and also farmed with it.

jerry

ssvhoy.png

My brother started his mill business back in the early - mid 70's and got started with it powered by a john deere.. not sure what model it was.. but it was the old jonny popper type motor.. I worked a lot for him over the years starting out at about 8-10 years old stacking the slab fire wood.. moving up as I got older to making pallets and then catching the lumber at the end of the mill.. 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:21 PM, Scrappile said:

I've done a couple that are farm related.  I was raised in the country, not a farm though only 2 acres, but my dad made sure it kept us busy.  He was a firm believer that if he kept his boys busy, it would keep them out of trouble.  It worked, and we worked hard, but we got to play hard also.  As soon as I could after I got married, we moved to the country.  We have five acres, not a farm but we stayed busy and I think my kids enjoyed it.  They did 4H with sheep, had the chickens, goats, horses, dogs and cats...  I also use to go to my cousin's that had real farm and worked for him on weekends when I was around 14.  I love it, sit on a tractor all day, do farm cores.  I really liked every minute of it and would have done it even if he hadn't paid me  $.50 an hour...  Like Trackman said it is all big corporation farms now, the little guy is gone around here. 

Country Side.jpg

QJHGLxV - Imgur.jpg

Coincidence Paul. I’ve done the cabin and just completing barn and truck.  You’ve done an excellent job on both. I’ll post when done. 

14 minutes ago, John B said:

A few projects related to farms along with some pics of a real farm ;)
The photos are of the farm I grew up on. A dairy farm with pigs, sheep and pigs. We never had electricity, but we had a great life. I even have some pics somewhere of Mum in a hay wagon, pulled by Price, a draft horse.

dcp_1540.jpg

dcp_1512.jpg

DSC02120_tn.jpg

DSC00933.JPG

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00945.JPG

Fordson.jpg

Nan Dewson and Kids.jpg

Great pics John. Thanks for sharing. I take it these are all from "down under"?

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

Great pics John. Thanks for sharing. I take it these are all from "down under"?

Thanks Ray, Yep all from Our farm at a little place called Caterick, 10 miles from a slightly larger place (pop 300) Greenbushes, where I went to primary school. In the Western Australia's South West. I learnt to drive on that old Fordson Major, ploughed a lot of paddocks and carted a lot of water and hay.