Wood Workers Show

tgiro

5 hours ago, tgiro said:

I'm off to the show in Chantilly, VA, today. Hope to see some nice wood and a couple of attachments for shop tools. Other than that, I have a padlock on the wallet pocket to keep me from using it too much.😉

anyone else going from this area (PA, MD, VA DC, WV)?

After taking a shellacing in the stock market this week, I won't be buying much in the near future. 

Disappointing - It was a very small show. Maybe 18 - 20 vendors in  one large ballroom size room. Peachtree wasn't there and I know some of the smaller guys sell through them. No scroll saw anything - zip nada. There was some wood turning demos and a couple of general cabinet demos and Alex Snodgrass was doing his thing for Carter Tools. There was only a couple of wood vendors and they did have some nice boards but were awfull expensive.

The Drillnado/Scrollnado guy was there but he didn't appreciate my review of his products. And, BTW, I don't recommend them.

I didn't bother with pictures. Not enough worth taking take pictures.

Hopefully, the Timonium, MD show will be better. They have more area for display and maybe Peachtree or one of the other major vendors will be there. Unfortunately, that's not until January of next year.

I may be mistaken but I don't think Denver has had one for years. I attended one here years ago long bèfore I ever had an interest in woodworking. Went with a friend who was though. That is where I saw a Hegner demo. Don't remember much about it but I was thoroughly impressed! Wow I thought, I'll never own one of those. I'd love to attend another large show.

BTW - for those who are thinking about a Fox Chapel show in May -- unless you have other information, I haven't been able to  find anything about one. Carole Rothman said she had found some info on an Open House, but not a full sponsored show.

Fox Chapel held a show for a couple of years, but dropped it because of the high expenses. They partnered with a Steam engine/tractor group for a park for a couple of days.  The problem was that those wonderful big steam engines rolling by, often interrupted the class sessions.

I have emailed Fox Chapel Publishers directly to see if there is anything happening there, this spring/summer. Based on their reply, I post what they respond.

I will stick with Johnson's Workbench wood expo the weekend after Labor Day. I usually drop enough money between wood and equipment it takes a toll on my shop budget. The rest on purschases are from the local woodworking store where I give presentations every now and then. I get a $50 gift certificate for each presentation which adds about $400 dollars to the budget. I always have my eye on something I don't need but get anyway. I always spend more than the certificates cover.

5 minutes ago, Puzzleguy said:

Hang in their my friend - im in the belief that most of that will start to turn around 

about mid year

Oh, I'm not too worried. It's just hard to make any monetary outlays when you have taken such a huge hit in the market over a 3 week period. And I blame it ALL on the news media blowing this whole coronavirus fiasco out whack. They are so hugely interested in taking our President down that they are just looking for any crisis that they can blow out of proportion.

11 hours ago, fredfret said:

Fox chapel is having a "garage sale " if I remember the announcement correctly. 

They are having an open house to show off their new building.

Not a true show like Tony was talking about. Got to go once and it great. Got to meet so many folks and see some amazing demos.

Jim you are so close to Indianapolis did you get the woodworking show at the fair grounds? I always think about it but then since it's in the winter I don't like take a chance on the weather. A 2 1/2 hour drive on I69 is not nice in one stretch that becomes an ice rink. This year would have been nice but I was giving a presentation on the Tablesaw at the local woodworking store.

10 hours ago, octoolguy said:

. And I blame it ALL on the news media blowing this whole coronavirus fiasco out whack. 

My daughter is president of a nursing school, they had ordered face masks and gloves for their students a couple of weeks ago.  The supplier notified them Friday that the orders were cancelled and refunds posted, the CDC took them.  

Last report I have seen shows that the absentee rate in Chinese factories is an all time high, that is in areas other than the virus outbreak area where they are all but shut down.  Shipping is impacted too.  If shipping slows or stops for any given amount of time, there is going to be a ripple effect here of shortages, and not just in medical supply.

And if the flare up spreads enough to S Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc, it will get worse here just from manufacturing delays

7 hours ago, JimErn said:

My daughter is president of a nursing school, they had ordered face masks and gloves for their students a couple of weeks ago.  The supplier notified them Friday that the orders were cancelled and refunds posted, the CDC took them.  

Last report I have seen shows that the absentee rate in Chinese factories is an all time high, that is in areas other than the virus outbreak area where they are all but shut down.  Shipping is impacted too.  If shipping slows or stops for any given amount of time, there is going to be a ripple effect here of shortages, and not just in medical supply.

And if the flare up spreads enough to S Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc, it will get worse here just from manufacturing delays

Jim i know that the best way to take care of yourself in a bad flu area -is to keep washing your hands -stay away from people

and wipe down stuff like door knobs etc. The masks are ok for doctors that work with the situation

but should never be your first defense - not touching your face would be good advice .

Im doing stuff like shopping when the stores are empty - and drinking alot of water !

Edited by Puzzleguy

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, tgiro said:

BTW - for those who are thinking about a Fox Chapel show in May -- unless you have other information, I haven't been able to  find anything about one. Carole Rothman said she had found some info on an Open House, but not a full sponsored show.

Thanks for posting this.  
Back around December I saw this event scheduled for the first weekend in May on the internet.
Looked again this morning and now I can't find anything.
I'll keep looking, but if you find anything, please let me know.
I wanted to attend as it looks to be the nearest scroll saw event to me.