'Blue Tits on Hawthorn' designed by Fiona Kingdon

Frank Pellow

2 hours ago, trackman said:

How in the world do you break 40 blades?  Been scrolling for 11 years an maybe had 5 break. Due to coming loose from clamp an bending then break at bend. Good project though. 

Spiral blades are very brittle, particularly those sized #0 and thinner.  That coupled with the very thick wood meant that I broke most of them while getting them through the holes and attempting to clamp them rather than when sawing.

7 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

Spiral blades are very brittle, particularly those sized #0 and thinner.  That coupled with the very thick wood meant that I broke most of them while getting them through the holes and attempting to clamp them rather than when sawing.

Right that’s a very small spiral blade using in thick hard wood. I never use anything under #1 in spirals. 

7 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

I hear you!!!!!  Somebody else somewhere herein said to grab the blade with a pair of pliers pulling the blade straight before letting it slide down to the table to prevent kinking the blade and allowing it to break.  This does work and you may have only broken 20 blades. 😏    I'm in the process of cutting some 3/4" Poplar with #0 and #1 Pegas spiral blades in a many hole pattern.  I still break some blades but because most get dull real quick and when I tend to push tooooo hard, they break.

5 hours ago, trackman said:

Right that’s a very small spiral blade using in thick hard wood. I never use anything under #1 in spirals. 

I tried using #1 but they were too thick.  

It's likely that I will cut this again and, if I do, the wood will be thinner and I will increase the size of the pattern by at least 10%.  I think that such an increase will allow me to use #1 spiral blades.

42 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Very nice work!! 

My experience with spirals is that the Pegas brand are more brittle and break a lot easier than the FD brand.. Also I think the Pegas # system runs a bit smaller than the FD.. ie a #1 Pegas is like a 2/0 FD

My experience is the same as yours.  I not only think that the Pegas # system runs a bit smaller than Flying Dutchman, I know that it does.  I also agree that Pegas are more brittle than FD, but I find that I can be more accurate with Pegas blades and that is why I use them. 

On 1/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, Frank Pellow said:

Threading thin spirals in wood is a lot like pulling barbed wire thru a sock. Beautiful work!!!