Feeling very proud of myself

zena

1 minute ago, lawson56 said:

You have the right to be proud, it is down right excellent. Myself I would not paint nor stain, it looks Fantastic just the way it is. Finish your sanding, then a nice coat of poly.👍👍

Thank you very much for your lovely comment 🙂 it is always good to hear other peoples idears or opinions it helps me learn. Everyone here has been so helpful since I joined few days ago. 

Susan from Aussie land

:)  Awesome cutting!  This is about three light-years AHEAD of my first scrollwork.  LOL  Love it! 

I'd say go with Lawson's suggestion of just sealing it as-is, and preserve your first cut with pride (not always a bad thing!).  I tend to like a bit more contrast, and love Minwax's "Honey" stain, so if it were me I'd stain the owl and leave the moon as-is.  Whichever way you decide to go, though, hang this in a prominent place and be proud of it!

8 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

:)  Awesome cutting!  This is about three light-years AHEAD of my first scrollwork.  LOL  Love it! 

I'd say go with Lawson's suggestion of just sealing it as-is, and preserve your first cut with pride (not always a bad thing!).  I tend to like a bit more contrast, and love Minwax's "Honey" stain, so if it were me I'd stain the owl and leave the moon as-is.  Whichever way you decide to go, though, hang this in a prominent place and be proud of it!

Thank you very much, im even thinking of turning it into a clock lol. No one is getting this one its mine even if they want to pay me lots for it they not having it lol. 

Thankyou for your suggestions 🙂

Susan

1 minute ago, trackman said:

Sign an date the back. Then in a year look at it and see if you have improved. I still have my first project. 

Thank you for your suggestion, I didnt think of doing that. I will for sure do that 🙂 how long have your been scroll sawing for?.

36 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Nice job... You are well on your way...  You are officially one of us scroll saw addicts. 

Thank you so much 🙂 I had a lot of fun today doing this. Doint the blade is so much beter than the Ryobi thats for sure. Only have to undo the top part of the blade on the Carbatec were as the Ryobi you have to take the whole blade out and it so fiddly to get back in. Im loving my new saw best thing I ever did 🙂 Thinking what to make next lol

You did a great job on your first scroll saw project Susan! What woods did you use? It appears you used a hardwood for the Owl, or at least a hardwood veneer plywood. Using any oil based finish such as lacquer or polyurethane will bring out the natural color of the wood. If you use a water based finish, it will not change the wood. 

Congrats, you did make something nice. It just takes practice and courage to do it. I have been scrolling for years and I made an Ark of the Covenant scrollsaw project for our Pastor for Christmas and I've never done anything that complicated. I took a picture of it and hung it up next to my scroll saw with a sign over it that says

If you can make this Bill, you can make anything. Try that one, it may help keep you on track

Bill in Wisconsin

11 hours ago, zena said:

I am only a learner to sroll sawing. I got my new carbatec scroll saw yesterday. I am feeling proud of doing this as I have never done anything like this before. 

I had only been cutting out the outside of things with my ryobi (now in cupboard). I was scared to have a go at this and taking the blade in and out through the holes and learning about my new saw, wooo hoooo I did it.

Still need to sand it as the owl is only sitting loose on the back board. Not sure if to paint the owl or not

Susan

owl01.jpg

Congratulations on a job well done. I love to see new scrollers tackle the ones they are not too sure about.. You are right not to jump too far over your head but to give something  new a try to find out how you will do. success is yours and I can see a lot of wonderful new projects coming from your shop throughout the year.

Dick

heppnerguy